Melbourne to Uluru with kids....

Submitted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 18:22
ThreadID: 95588 Views:6783 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My in laws are coming out in Oct/Nov and we are planning a road trip and thinking Melbourne to Uluru. We will have 2 weeks to do it in. Our kids are 4yrs and 2yrs old also so we don't want to be driving long distances each day. We have often driven with them Melbourne to Sydney sometimes in 1 day so they are used to travelling although we want to take it easy and do some sight seeing. Can anyone suggest if Melbourne to Uluru and back would be too challenging to do with kids their ages. Also if anyone can suggest a good route so we can show the in laws, we were thinking via Adelaide and including stopping a couple of days there and also a stop at Coober Pedy. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 19:26

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 19:26
Rebecca

Of course you could do it, but I wouldn't with young kids and older people presumably from a smaller country and perhaps a cooler country!
This is from someone who did 7000km with his teenage kids over 18 days or 5000km with kids and wife over 12 days.

IF you really want to see "the outback" settle for the Flinders over a week and half + a bit of time at Broken Hill. IF they are dead keen on Uluru, let them fly there. Your kids will have years to see it.

Just add up the distances, allow yourself 2 if not 3 days at Uluru-The Olgas & half a day at Coober Pedy then see how many ks you need to drive per day every day.

Mark
AnswerID: 485898

Follow Up By: eerfree - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 19:33

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 19:33
Mark types faster than me !!!!

Bob C.
FollowupID: 761145

Reply By: eerfree - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 19:32

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 19:32
Rebecca,
IMHO that is too far in too short a time, have a look at doing the Fliinders Ranges. much easier and lots of impressive history.

Bob C.
AnswerID: 485899

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 20:22

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 20:22
Hi Rebecca,

All depends on how well your kids travel. When mine were 2 & 4 (now 12 & 14), we could do up to 500+ kms a day, but then needed a sightseeing day evey other day or so. Planning is the key and keeping them entertained is what makes the difference between an enjoyable trip or the road trip from hell.

Uluru is a magic place and IMHO certainly wirth making the effort to get there - we did this again trip in July last year, was a 2 week trip from Perth and the time frame was comfortable for us. The trip itself shows just how varied Australian countryside is and will certainly show your in-laws a good chunk of Australia.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 485907

Reply By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 20:34

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 20:34
Rebecca ,Adelaide to Uluru or Alice springs you can do in two days Melbourne to Adelaide one day so that's 6 days on the road return of hard/long driving , that will give you 6 to 8 days to look around .

Adelaide to uluru etc not a lot to look at , kids will need DVD etc on that leg of the trip . If you go Alice springs plenty to do there .
But generally that's a long way to go just to look at a bloody big rock ......LOL

Flinders rangers is a great spot if your prepared to get out and have a" GOOD "look /walk etc .... you will need to do some research before hand ...

What ever you do drive careful on the road it's a long way in a short time.......

Good luck & have fun

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485912

Reply By: getmethehelloutahere - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 20:55

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 20:55
It will be very hot at Uluru, especially for the poor bugger who gets to carry the 4 yr old around Uluru when he/she konks out. Our kids (8 & 4) loved the Flinders.
AnswerID: 485916

Reply By: garytee - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 21:53
Rebecca,

We took my elderly parents and our two daughters [11 and 13] to Alice Springs - including 3 days at Uluru, from Melbourne - and had two days in Mildura on the way home - spare.
It is certainly 'do-able' and it remains our favourite trip to this day.

I saw a sticker on the back of a 4WD today - 'Some people watch Getaway - others do it!'.

Gary
AnswerID: 485923

Follow Up By: mick v1 - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:06

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:06
Rebecca, we live in central vic and got to darwin in an easy week, first night Port Augusta, short drive to Coober Pedy the next night, then a short day to Uluru. We have three kids who are early teens which whinge and carry on more then your two youngsters would. The first day was a bit longer but the others were only 500-600 ks a day

FollowupID: 761163

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 23:20

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 23:20
Hi Rebecca

It will be getting hot and most walks are closed on hot days - however the long walk around Uluru may not be subject to these closures.

Perhaps somewhere closer to home and not so hot would be more suitable for your family.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485935

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 06:31

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 06:31
I did Melbourne up to Coober Pedy, Uluru, Kings, Alice etc in 2 weeks recently.

We put the 4wd on the Ghan and came back that way. It's cheaper from Alice to Adelaide than the other way around, and it bought us nearly a week of daily travel. It means you can take your time and go one way.

It was $600 for 1 kid, 2 adults and the car from Alice to Adelaide. Then I was rested and drove home to Melbourne that day. 1 1/2 days from Alice to Melbourne with no stress. We were in Economy seats but for the 24 hours it was quite bearable and you can go to the "club" car and "cafe" car. It was a bit of a highlight and made what would of been an otherwise rushed trip quite relaxed.

BTW when in Coober Pedy stay at at "The Lookout cave" It is run by a Greek guy who was a miner. He is knowledgeable and really friendly to kids. He has a box of old opal pickings that the kids can go through and keep with "colour". Great entertainment for a few hours while you sit out the front and have a drink. Reasonably priced, and a really great stay.

AnswerID: 485939

Reply By: Rebecca W1 - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 11:00

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 11:00
Thanks for your replies everyone, you have given us lots to think about. We might just look at Adelaide and the Flinders instead. We can always do the longer road trip when the kids are a bit older.
AnswerID: 485955

Reply By: Dadonbike - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 20:52

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 20:52
We did the same trip in August 2011. Total of 6,800 kms in 23 days towing camper trailer with two kids. Too much to see to rush there and back. Either add a week, or define exactly what to want to see and do part A now, and part B later. Here's some notes about our trip:
Melb to Uluru
AnswerID: 486078

Sponsored Links