Suggestions for winter camping

Submitted: Friday, May 18, 2012 at 13:05
ThreadID: 95641 Views:2447 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for suggestions for winter camping spots within about 3 hours drive of Sydney.

Requirements are hot showers and toilets (reasonable tidy amenities), large grassy areas to pitch tent. We don't like camping in fenced in caravan parks and prefer a more natural environment. We have camped at killalea the past couple of times and really like the setting but are looking to go somewhere different this time. Given that it is winter it doesn't need to be near a beach, but a lake or river would be nice. Assuming that in winter most places won't be busy/crowded?

Any thoughts?

Oh also it will just be me and the better half (no kids) and we won't be fishing.

Help is appreciated.

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pepper2 - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 14:25

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 14:25
Gradys riverside retreat on the shoalhaven river or coolendeo also on the shoalhaven river (but check out coolendels fees before you go)

Both have the amenities you require.
AnswerID: 486132

Follow Up By: Simon H1 - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 14:27

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 14:27
Thanks pepper, I had looked at both of those. Any recommendation between the two?
FollowupID: 761381

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 16:56

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 16:56
Coolendel,127 acres beatiful grounds,great camping on river,has great amenities,fires allowed,small shop with most things avail including gas but no alcohol at shop,also has two small cabins and one bunkhouse (for large groups) wombats,kangaroos ,lyre birds etc roam freely around the property,fantastic if your kids have push bikes.
However it was promoted a few years ago as a homosectual friendly site i havent been there for a few years. Expensive site fees.
Gradys about 30 acres has boat ramp and good jetty ,great camping,small shop,closer to nowra,amenities are ok,fires allowed,firewood provided-timber pallets that you break up .Also good for bikes and i think they have a skate ramp (check with michael the owner ) Gets family orientated crowd michael soon controls any rowdy patrons good atmosphere.
FollowupID: 761392

Follow Up By: Simon H1 - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 17:05

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 17:05
Thanks pepper, out of curiosity Have you (or do you know if) people have much trouble with the wombats and other animals attacking your tent etc if they smell food? Just thinking that with the cold weather may end up eating in the tent some nights and would prefer not to awake to a big hole in the side of my tent!?
FollowupID: 761394

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 20:09

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 20:09
have been there at least 50 times never a problem with wombats,they have unlimited natural food,sometimes they scratch their back on the axle of a camper van or might step on a swag,never a problem.
FollowupID: 761409

Reply By: woolygirl - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:32

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:32
Ferndale Park, just outside of Dungog is a great spot. It is a family run venture -not really a 'park' per say, but not quite bush either. There are flush toilets and a few hot showers. Not fancy, but adequate. There is also a very basic laundry area, a microwave and a kettle to boil hot water. Power is available if you camp on one side of the river - the other side of the river, crossed by a ford, is non-powered. Unmarked grassy sites, access to the river which is very pretty, and some lovely. From this base you could explore all that Barrington Tops has to offer. Take some firewood for the fire, as it is a bit pricey to buy there. You can google it. In my opinion, it is a good compromise between 'van park' and doing it alone in the bush.
AnswerID: 486230

Reply By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:56

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 18:56
A little bit further out (4 Hours max) have a look at Tumut NSW. Whilst its in the snowys, Tumut is in a valley and only 280m high, so it doesn't get the winds etc. The weather is beautiful days and crisp nights but not to bad. Your camping options are endless. The river glade CP (wont find a nicer spot) on the banks of the Tumut river.

Blowering Dam, has many camping options. There are hundreds of beautiful places to explore in this area.

Regards

jas
AnswerID: 486231

Sponsored Links