Coast to Coast, For the R.F.D.S. any interest in support veichle for the Simpson

Submitted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 20:13
ThreadID: 95736 Views:2483 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I'm haveing a go at the record to cross Australia on a Postie Bike,
leaving Byron Bay midnight the 10th of June ,
heading for Steep Point.
hopeing for under 6 days.
Raseing funds for the Flying Doktor. ( bit over 2000 so far.)

We have a ute to do backup for most of the trip but it cant go throught the Simpson.
I was wundering if any one was doing a east to west crossing in the next few weeks that may be able to work in with me.
Im hopeing to cross in 10 to 16 hours so its only a day .
the ute has to go round.
Im not after money, ( although if you would like to Donate to the R.F.D.S. please reference it as for tEAM dRONGO so we know how much we raise.)
ive put almost $ 5,000 of my own into this and expect to put in a bit more yet.
This is a seriouse attempt we have 2 spare engines,tools,tyres and spares etc etc....

Just hopeing not to have to buy a 4x4 and pay a driver.

Here is the bike , in highway trim.

and desert trim , we intend to do 4 wheel changes dureing the attempt.

and ride well into the night .

Some video of a beach test.

If this interests some one, but it's a bit to short notice,
be aware im prepared to cover fuel ...

Thanks jockadams@gmail.com

I hope charity appeals arent spam....
if so im sorry .

if the warburton crossing track from Inaminka is still closed then i'll have to go via the french line.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jock Adams - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 20:26

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 20:26
Walkers Crossing Track , sorry.
AnswerID: 486494

Follow Up By: myname - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 09:14

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 09:14
Jock; As of the 15/May: From a contact at a mob working for Santos:

Quote:
Walkers crossing is restricted to Santos authorised vehicles only, due to extensive flooding at approaches causing narrow width.

If your enquiry concerns possible exit via this route to Birdsville track, don’t bother, I flew this area in a helicopter last week, there is still considerable flooding over some sections north and west of Christmas Creek, especially in the lake area immediately south of, and covering the point where the East & West access roads meet and head north into the dunes towards the Birdsville Track.

I would not expect any viable access along here before August/ September, there has been no on ground assessment since the 2010 flood to assess for washouts either.

I believe landowner has placed a barrier across the north entrance to this access as well to stop people becoming stranded. Travellers along this route who become stranded before the track is opened officially, can expect a cool reception and a large bill for recovery.
end quote

FollowupID: 761785

Reply By: GT Campers - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 09:02

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 09:02
Wow!

I have two mates who have done 'adventures' with Posties, one rode his across Australia in the 1990s and the other from Sydney to London a few years ago. I haev since discussed crossing the Simpson with the across-Oz bloke. There are also a couple I have seen at the Dry Lake Speed Week, with big-block engines they can be made to go quite fast!

The across-Oz and Sydney London bikes were both flat-knacker at 65-70km/h so you have obviously done some engine work! Those tyres look like they might bag quite nicely - Where did you do your sand/dune testing?
AnswerID: 486533

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 18:51

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 18:51
If you need to use Walkers Crossing have you considered contacting Santos about it.

Any good PR for an oil company at the moment would be a boon to them.

AnswerID: 486585

Reply By: Jock Adams - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 21:58

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 21:58
Thanks lotta good help there , i'll try Santos they may let us through .

The sand testing i did at Woodgate beach about 40 km from here in the 4x4 area off course.
I could only get the vid on the beach, the bike pretty much just floats over tracks in the deep sand.
AnswerID: 486605

Follow Up By: Jock Adams - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 21:10

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 21:10
Thanks for all help and advice , we have a crew and a veichle.
FollowupID: 762282

Follow Up By: Jock Adams - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:03

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 17:03
8 days and 17 hours Point to Point . took 2 days to get through the Simpson via the french line.

[youtube]GdA2I4_Ki3E7[/youtube]
FollowupID: 764302

Sponsored Links