Back Home Again...

Submitted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 14:08
ThreadID: 95754 Views:2079 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We have returned safely from our first van trip. Wiser ?..yes..rested..?..yes..
Had a ball ?..you betcha.:))).
Jack was faultless as usual, albeit drinking a bit...but, hey, so did we. Av 18L/100
over 5k. Fuel av 159 c/L.

A few observations....
1. Best free camp..Green Beach,Tocumwal.
2. Best cheap camp..Rapid Bay CG..Fleureiu Pen SA.
3. Best C/p..Corny Point..Yorke Pen SA
4. Highlight..Sea Lions on Kangaroo Island..take guided tour.
5. Best Scenery..Sth Yorke Pen & Grt Ocean Rd.
6. Best addition to kit...laptop.

Now have 12 months to fine tune the postponed " last trip west" & consume a
rather large wine stock accumulated while away....aint life hard..sigh..:))))))
cheers......oldbaz.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 15:15

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 15:15
Sounds like a great trip, back to reality.
Good consumption, was hardly getting that from my manual 3.5lt jack
AnswerID: 486564

Reply By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 16:06

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 16:06
Glad to hear you had a great time. I am envious because I am sat here at work helping to keep Australia running. My turn will come to do some touring with the Van in tow. But for now just need to settle for a trip across the desert (leaving Tomorrow).

Also great to see you enjoyed some spots in SA.

Cheers Vern
AnswerID: 486566

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 18:34

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 18:34
Hi Baz,

Thought you had been missing on here for a while.....welcome home to you both.
Sounds like you did your best to keep the wineries afloat and had a good trip!!

We are about to take off for Mungo, Kinchega and Mutawintji National parks ...then onto Corner Country, Innamincka and camping on the Cooper. Hoping to find lots of good camping places and see new country. After that...not sure yet but we will be away for close to 9 weeks.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 486581

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 08:07

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 08:07
Hi Heather, pleased to hear you're back on the road again. I will be keen to hear
your impressions of the Corner & Innamincka regions, as that forms part of our next
journey. I read that access north from Innamincka may be restricted, but you are
no doubt up to speed on all that. I look forward to reading your "on the road"
epistles. cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 761875

Follow Up By: silvwayne - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 09:34

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 09:34
When will you be in the corner country. there is a lot to see if you know where to go. I have done a lot of work in the area, and know a few interesting spots. Take notice on the way from Tib to the corner of the flood level in the mid 70s, it is hard to believe that there could be water there. Call into Milparinka and have a look at the history of the area. Will be in the area the first two weeks in June.
FollowupID: 761884

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 10:35

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 10:35
Hi Baz and Silvwayne,

Have been doing a lot of research and reading of the area and looking forward so much to seeing the country, visiting historical places of interest etc. Also keeping an eye on weather forecasts, road conditions and closures, and will check closer to our expected arrival time there.
Looks like we won't get into Coongie Lakes but everywhere else we want to go is open at this time. Of course things may change in days or even hours...we will be flexible and well prepared.
We might see you somewhere Silvwayne...the back of our dark grey pajero has three or four ExplorOz stickers and the van has a couple plus a wheel cover so we arent too hard to spot!

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 761892

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:11

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:11
Welcome home oldbaz. Not bad consumption figures. My VY Commodore was about the same but my 3.0L turbo Jack is a bit better but not that much.

You missed a couple of "bests". How about best winery and best wine that you bought?

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 486595

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:26

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:26
Bit o t mate but I know you will be pleased to know we added yet another Jack to our ever growing family. My youngest gets his lic in Aug and found him a one driver 99 3.5 man with 156000ks. Dives superb and on the way home with him on his Ls sitting on 80 it achieved 10.9/100. Come from up your way to Singleton.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 486597

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 08:13

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 08:13
G'day Pete, I did indeed note the addition to your Jack stable. Sounds like a gift.
It cost me a few bob to get the timing belt & water pump service done, & I took your advice & added a trans cooler. It ran like a clock & handled the van with ease & I
thought the fuel thing was pretty good too. Still the best value 4wd wagon for the
$$$ on the market...as I keep saying..:)))..cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 761877

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:06

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:06
good thinking baz, when we brought Sals I had the Auto serviced straight away, because the previous owners owned a van. they said they did not use it much, but the Mech said the oil was burnt so saved us and expensive repair done the road. This was why I advised you to get yours done. Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Its sad they are starting to get a bit old, but I will keep my eye out for a really good 02/03 SE, not that their is anything wrong with mine(apart from a sticky egr valve)
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 761902

Sponsored Links