Corner Country Trip

As part of a larger trip in late winter/early spring, we'll be leaving the caravan and travelling in the 2wd trayback ute with some 4x4 people.

Planning on following some tracks that roughly follow the dog fence from Broken Hill to Taboorurra and Cameron's Corner. Not following the actual dog fence track.

Now, most of my outback travel has been out west of Lake Torrens in South Australia, traveling on a quadbike with a small trailer.

I can survive quite well on 3 litres of water a day in winter and 5 litres in summer.

Out in that country there's very little usable water available so I carry all I'll need for a week and then some for an emergency.

But on the coming trip, the Missus is coming too. Of course she'll want a shower each day. I can see her running through 20 litres of the precious substance a day which is fine if you can replace the shower water every day or two. But I can't possibly carry 200 litres of water just to let run down over her wet and soapy, naked body, in addition to what we'll really need.

So my question is: Would you expect to find water suitable for washing in, up in the Corner Country, every day or two, assuming we cover up to a couple of hundred kilometres a day?

Out west of Lake Torrens, although they run cattle and sheep, you wouldn't count on finding water in a days ride on the bike, but maybe there's a bit more water about in the corner country.

I suppose it will be OK to get 20 litres of water out of a cattle trough or a dam?

Thanks,
Laurie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 14:55

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 14:55
Sorry mate but you lost me at "her wet and soapy, naked body" :) :)
AnswerID: 486812

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 15:18

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 15:18
Ha ha when I got to that bit I lost my whole train of concentration and had to start reading his post again. Lol

In answer to your question I am pretty sure I am free to come along as water boy :)
FollowupID: 762044

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 15:53

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 15:53
Gees I love this site,
FollowupID: 762045

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 15:24

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 15:24
Hi Laurie

Regardless of where you travel in the Outback, always be self sufficient, that is our motto.

On our desert trips, for which we are no stranger, we always carry around 100 litres of water as a bare minimum for up to 3 weeks of travel, and usually come home with water in hand.

We can use as little as 2 litres for washing our hair in the morning and then doing the dishes.

If we ever top up our water from a source that is unknown, we only ever use that water for our personal washing and dishes, and not drinking, as you never know what bacteria is in the water.

Plan on being self sufficient and you will not have any troubles, which in turn always relates back to the old Boy Scout Motto, "Be Prepared".

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 486813

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:16

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:16
Thanks Stephen!

100 litres for two people for three weeks sounds pretty economical. I guess you'd be topping up your second grade water somewhere along the line.
FollowupID: 762108

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 15:04

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 15:04
Hi Laurie

We always take 60 litres of dedicated drinking water and 40 plus lives for washing, dishes etc. The only times when we have topped up our disposable non drinking water, it has been from reliable known water sources.

We can get away with as little as 4 litres of water to wash our selves, so yes we are very careful with how we us water when in the bush.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 762118

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 16:29

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 16:29
Ah, you fellas! Glad I made your day with my humor.

I'm currently fitting a 70 litre tank under the ute body and will carry three or four 20 litre drums on the tray.

Trouble is, if the sweet lady uses 20 litres a day, my 100 litres will be gone in five days without me having a drink or boiling the spuds.

So my concern is to replace her shower water with second grade water every couple of days. Otherwise, she'll have to shower in two litres as I do when out on the bike.

If it's good enough for the cattle to drink, it's good enough to wash in, I reckon.

Photo: Shower with the billy - Andamooka Station

So I was hoping to find someone familiar with the Corner Country stations who could tell me how plentiful water is out there. Maybe it's as arid as further west.

Thanks,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 486816

Follow Up By: the_fitzroys - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 20:42

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 20:42
Laurie,

Just a follow-up to your comment "before I boil the spuds". Guess it falls under the heading of water management.

We never fill a saucepan with water to cook vegetables whether we're at home or camping. Everything gets steamed in a just a little water in the bottom of the saucepan. Once you're up to the point of generating steam you're cookin' and there's no need to swamp everything in water and then throw it out. Gotta watch the spuds though, and we generally give them a spoonful of oil in case the water evaporates before we realise.

Equally, save on the washing up water by taking some paper towel or newspaper and wiping the plates clean after you've eaten. You'll have almost clean plates that can be washed in hardly any water. Paper and grease goes in the fire - depends if you've got a fire of course.

Also, try the H2No towels from the Exploroz shop for the princess. Haven't tried them myself but I will next time we go. Then, if she really has to have clean hair every day, she can easily do it with 1 litre.

Of course you will miss out on the wet, sudsy naked body thingo :-)

Louise

FollowupID: 762065

Reply By: lancie49 - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 17:55

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 17:55
The lovely Mrs Laurie doesn't have to use 20ltrs/day/shower surely ?
A heated sponge wash in a small bucket, or perhaps a 5ltr garden sprayer would do wouldn't it ?
She's not gonna meet the Queen out there and it's really good if everyone smells the same.
AnswerID: 486825

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 18:10

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 18:10
Laurie,
Women's advice here from a former princess :-) Get her a round plastic tub (or preferably two - they fit inside each other snugly) and a tin mug or whatever's around camp. Spread out a small piece of shadecloth so she's got something to stand on. Heat up some water (2-3 litres) and put some in the first tub, just enough to use a sponge to wet the body, and enough to wet the hair. Soap up - the secret is not to use too much soap or shampoo otherwise it's too hard to rinse out. Tip contents of first dish over head and shoulders. Use clean water in second dish to finish rinsing. Leave a little so she can condition her hair and then rinse it off.
It's amazing how clean you can get with 2 or 3 litres of water if you don't use too much soap.
The Corner Country general store in the main St of Tibooburra has a tap out by the bowser. We filled up there when we bought some diesel and supplies, no problems.
Louise
AnswerID: 486829

Reply By: splits - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 20:13

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 20:13
Laurie
Try a few practice showers at home and see how much she uses. If it is excessive then explain why and see if she can reduce it.

Louise is right when she said you only need two or three litres. My wife and I often camp in an area where water is plentiful. We can easily have a shower with a ten litre bucket. Even then the last one usually has to keep rinsing a little longer to empty it.
AnswerID: 486843

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 21:40

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 21:40
That's a good idea, Splits, I'll try that. Thanks.
FollowupID: 762072

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 21:03

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 21:03
Well thanks, Lancie and Louise! You're both dead right, of course.

I can do it and my wife used to be able to also. But she's become such a lady, these days.

Happy wife: happy life, they say, and I believe it to be true.

She wants to get a 20 litre solar shower so that's what we'll do.

Ya know, on my last outback trip, alone, on the bike, I had a bit of trouble finding my way. Not lost, just bushed. There's a difference. The wheel tracks that I'd followed several years before were overgrown and in some places washed out into creek beds. I couldn't find one creek crossing and had to go cross country several times, navigating by the paper map and etrex GPS. I camped pretty rough two nights getting about 65km.

I never feel lonely out there, but I sure did feel alone and vulnerable. I decided that considering my age, this would be my last big trip and I cut it short, missing the most isolated area that I'd planned.

As I headed back to my ute at Arcoona homestead, near Woomera, I said goodbye to the country I've enjoyed so much, expecting never to see it again.

Well, I nearly fell off my chair about six months ago when the Missus said she wanted to out to Andamooka again. Mungo came into it and the Flinders Ranges.

When some friends mentioned their trip up the dog fence, we brought our trip forward a little to take that in as an extra.

So, you see, it's very important for me to keep my wife as happy as possible on the trip and as we get organised.

If it takes a couple of hundred litres of warm water and some privacy to keep her happy, then so be it.

I was just hoping to get some good info on the country out there, in particular the availability of water, but I also have further questions of people who know the country.

Thanks,
Laurie.
AnswerID: 486851

Reply By: Member - silvwayne - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 21:38

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 21:38
Hi Laurie!

What route are you taking from the Hill to The Corner and how long do you expect to take. I have done a lot of work in that country, and might be able to give you some help. It has been a good season and the dams would have plenty of water. It is what the stations use in their homesteads.

Cheers Wayne
AnswerID: 486854

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:02

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:02
G'day Wayne!

"What route are you taking from the Hill to The Corner and how long do you expect to take."

Well, I dunno!

We'll be following along with the other people who've done part of the trip before. The plan is to follow tracks that roughly follow the dog fence where possible (without travelling on the dog fence track).

Our friends are into clay target shooting. They have a shoot one weekend near Broken Hill, the following weekend is near Tibooburra and the third weekend is way over at Dubbo. We won't be continuing with them to Dubbo.

So we'll have maybe a week and a half with the others to get from Broken Hill to Cameron's Corner and Tibooburra in whatever order seems best, with the proviso that we need to be in those two areas on the respective weekends.

So from what you say it sounds like there will be a few dams about with a good chance of finding water.

Any semi specific info relating to that rather nebulous route would be great!

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 762105

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 09:32

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 09:32
Laurie

A rope, and a 10 lt bucket.
Cattle troughs, Bores, and Creeks are the go........So look around, and do not let the waste run back into anything.

Baby wipes, and deodorant were our essentials on the Canning. AS long as SWMBO could wash her hair every 2nd day everything was OK..
For toilet we used that hand sanitizer stuff.
That she did with 3 medium sauspans of water, but only when we found suitable water to replace what we would use.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 486875

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:09

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:09
Thanks Bucky!

Yes a bucket and rope will be the go. I've seen dams with good water that I wasn't game to go down the bank for fear of slipping in and not getting out.
FollowupID: 762106

Reply By: Member - Richard W (NSW) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:04

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:04
Laurie,

Did the run from Camerons Corner down the dog fence as much as we could in Oct 2010 for the Drive for Life charity run.
Travelled in through Waka, through Hewart Downs past the Hawker Gate, Border Downs, Pineview, Mt Woolwoolahra to Silverton. There had been plenty of rain so quite a lot of water about. Pretty sure this was Lake Booka:

Obviously conditions can change so we had plenty of water in any case.
Plenty of gates to open and close. ;).
We were moving fairly quickly so only had the one stop overnight.
Have fun.

AnswerID: 486913

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 14:25

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 14:25
Thanks Richard! Sorry I missed responding to you yesterday.

Great photo! I've seen the outback with that amount of water and I've seen it as dry as a bone.

Sounds like I'll find some shower water for the sweet lady.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 762248

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:34

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:34
G'day Laurie,

The country is looking good out there - been through twice this year. There is a large lake on the east side of the road near Packsaddle you may get a fill up from; and from memory one on the west side also, but sounds like you are gunna be west of that.

However, a shower every couple of days? I reckon you'd be able to carry enough water to accommodate that on your ute.

How about purchasing 10L water cubes in the various places??? - Packsaddle roadhouse, Tibooburra etc.

Myself ??? - would not hesitate to grab stock water to wash in. You're observant; you'll find some IMHO, somewhere.

All well in the Stuart camp.

Cheers
AnswerID: 486920

Follow Up By: Member - silvwayne - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:08

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:08
Hi Rick,

The lake on the west of the road is fresh water, the one on the east side is salt.

Wayne
FollowupID: 762151

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 22:16

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 22:16
Ah, G'day Rick! This is some great info I'm getting. Thanks to all!

Stuart is going just fine!

Hoping to get to Depot Glen. As you know, I get a great kick out of reading from the explorer's journals in the very spot, so I hope for the opportunity to sit around the campfire and read from Sturt's journal as well as the intro to Stuart's works.

It's also great to make a damper and a cuppa from the explorer's waterholes. I guess you know the feeling!
FollowupID: 762197

Follow Up By: Member - silvwayne - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:53

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:53
Hi Laurie

do the trip upto top of Mount Poole. While there jist think of Sturt and his team making the trek from Depot Glen to the summit to buid the cairn. Fantastic effort.

Regards Wayne
FollowupID: 762281

Reply By: Member - silvwayne - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:15

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:15
Laurie3,

Richard's route in reverse is what I would have suggested. It really is the only way without going on the dog fence track. I presume th shoot near Tib is the Milparinka Field and Game 2 day shoot. Might be there myself. My partner who is a chef has been asked to do the catering. Have to decide in the next 2 weeks.

Regards Wayne
AnswerID: 486925

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 22:30

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 22:30
Yes, Milparinka sounds familiar from our conversations.

Please do look us up if you get there. We'll be with David and Carrol Cook and I think the other people are from Bermagui Gun club. I have a white ute, 2wd, with a grey canopy.
FollowupID: 762199

Sponsored Links