Carnarvon Gorge in a wheel chair

Submitted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 14:50
ThreadID: 95884 Views:1537 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,

Just planning my trip to the Tip from Sydney, tought I'd like to check out the Carnarvon Gorge on the way back.

From the reaserch that I've done it seems that most of the attractions are only accessable by a short or long bush walk.

Just wondering if anyone that is familiar with the area would be able to give me an idea of what may be accessable to me from the wheelchair.

I'm not to bad over rough surfaces but big, rocks stairs etc pose a problem.

My 4x4 is pretty capable so anywhere in the park that is accessable by vehicle shouldn't be a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lostinwauchope - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:11

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:11
Hi rb30e ,
I was there about 4 years ago from what i remember it wasn't wheelchair friendly to access the gorge you need to cross the river several times over stepping stones, some of the gorges require you to climb ladders . as i said it's been a while since i was there try contacting qld parks for the most up to date info cheers ron
AnswerID: 487103

Follow Up By: Racey - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:34

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:34
We were there 2 years ago and I would agree it's not wheelchair friendly.
FollowupID: 762346

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:09

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:09
Hi rb30e

I would say no way for the main gorge. Walking along the creek line is fairly flat and easy for all age groups and fitness levels, but for the numerous creek crossings on stepping stones. The trail crosses the creek around 23 times on the walk as far as Big Bend. Side features mostly have steps - one even a ladder.

The small features outside of the main gorge don't sound promising either, although we never got to see them. They are Baloon Cave Aboriginal rock painting site which may have steps up to the paintings and Mickey Creek Gorge through a narrow gorge cut by the creek with some rock hopping.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487117

Sponsored Links