4wd tracks near adelaide.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:20
ThreadID: 96063 Views:6784 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,
Seen a few posts regarding tracks near adelaide and they all seem a bit old so thought id ask again.
A couple mates and i want to do some 4wdriving this long weekend and just wondering how far we have to go to have some fun ....
any ideas will be much appreciated .. cheers..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bazz - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:18

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:18
The bordertrack mate Vic/SA google it.
AnswerID: 487793

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 15:07

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 15:07
Saunders Gorge has some good tracks and is around 90 minutes from the CBD but they are pretty heavily booked so it would pay to see which day they may have track time

Apart from that you have the Border Track and Robe and Beachport as well and there is always the Loveday adventure park in the Riverland

But all will be quite busy as it is a long weekend

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 487804

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 16:02

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 16:02
head over to4x4earthand have a look at sa tracks
AnswerID: 487805

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 19:18
I did the Lobethal track on 4X4 earth...don't waste your time or money.

Loveday has a ute muster on this weekend...so unless you want to fight the crowds...forget it.

There's some good tracks out near Morgan way, but I'm not sure where. Youtube has lots of offroad videos filmed out near Morgan.

I'm heading to Dangalli this weekend for my fix.

Another option is to drive to a town somewhere..... I usually head towards the mid north (Jamestown, Burra etc) then set your GPS to preference the shortest route, and punch in your home address, and you'll be surprised at some of the goat tracks it will take you on.

I went "shortest distance" from Eudunda to Waterloo once and it took me on some great tracks out near World's End and around Burra Creek Gorge. Some of these tracks hadn't seen a vehicle in a long time.

Otherwise, anywhere north of Roseworthy gets interesting especially if wet. Been up that way lots of times. Murphy's Crossing, about 10 minutes north of Wasleys, is a great picnic spot and almost, I did say almost, looks Flinders Ranges like.

Do you prefer hills, south or north?

Fab.
FollowupID: 763052

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 19:47

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 19:47
Morgan Quarry is good fun to play around in. Can't advise how may will be there but to find i, drive past the bottom of the Caravan Park, turn right and play. To find your way put, just follow the overhead power lines back to the way your came in.

Fab, was at Dannggali yesterday. It's an easy 1 1/2 hrs from Renmark. The country looks great. Plenty of wildlife around plus plenty of goats. They have shot over 2000 so far this year. There is a new ranger there now too. Roads are good. We went up in a Captiva and as I said before, it was an easy drive.
cheers
Des
FollowupID: 763056

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 20:02
Cheers Des.
This will be my first time to Canopus. The other 2 times I've been there, I swing left and head up through Morganvale up to Cockburn, then hit the Barrier Hwy back to Adelaide.

Is it muddy or dusty? I'm heading in through Morgan.

Captivas are great. I've had 3 diesel ones through work and they have impressed me greatly. Did a few bigish trips in them including the Birdsville Track twice. Once into the Simpson over Big Red (did it effortlessly by dropping tyres down to 18psi) and another time through Birdsville, then onto Windorah and Longreach. Only problem we ever had was a bit of scrubbing on that useless plastic sump "guard" cover thing.

I reckon a Captiva diesel with some steel bash plates, a bit of lift and decent tyres would be almost unstoppable. Ok, they don't have diff locks, but the power is distributed via computer controlled traction systems minimising wheel spin to the free wheel. Works better than I ever expectted....and the diesel is torquey as hell for such a light car.

The Captiva had to go back and I got a Cruze. So I did what any other sane person would do....went and bought my own fourbie (one with a transfer box).

Fab.
FollowupID: 763061

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 20:14

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 20:14
To digress slightly...here is me driving my Diesel Captiva up the Western side of Big Red. Fell metres short when our wheels dropped into someone elses ruts and we bottomed out. Second attempt wasn't captured, but we took the track just to the right of this one, and we did it easily.

Captiva on Big Red
FollowupID: 763062

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 21:30
Fab, the road was damp enough to keep the dust down and except for a few holes, no mud at all.
The Captiva has done over 60k and is about to be changed over. Only problem I've had was a blown tail light fuse. Diesel is economical and has enough power to overtake semi's comfortably.

I haven't done any 4wding in it as I don't think the boss would appreciate me using it for that. LOL It's strictly business use.
FollowupID: 763067

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 05:44

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 05:44
Ah....good career move Des. :)
FollowupID: 763074

Reply By: Gossy - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:41

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:41
so getting back to the original question....

Agree with the above about Saunders, Border Track (and as mentioned avoid Loveday; full of cars; ute muster) etc.

Southern Flinders also has some good spots to go outside or Orroroo (dedicated private land) so worth a look up there also. I'd suggest they would be less busy.

Out the back of Melrose (10 mins) is a place called Bartagunya. Great place for camping and a fantastic loop track around the property that can take the whole day if you take your time.
www.bartagunyah.com.au/

You can camp near the shower and toilet or they let you camp anywhere on their property! Very friendly and being a winery you can even do some tasting. Don't tell anyone though, it's my secret spot!
AnswerID: 487835

Reply By: Jdavid13 - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 00:27

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 00:27
Thanks to everyone..
Am heading to Saunders on Sunday as it's not that far..
Will be good just to bash around a bit and will also try the GPS shortest route trick aswell to find some tracks..
Also 4x4earth Web site looks ok aswell and will try and get some info off that too..
Again thanks to all and hope everyone enjoys their long weekend..
Cheers David
AnswerID: 487905

Sponsored Links