Broome to Portheadland camping on 80 mile beach

Submitted: Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 10:29
ThreadID: 96108 Views:4818 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, We are travelling sth and was wanting some info on campsites and or caravan parks on the 80 mile beach. Can anyone help us thanks johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:50

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:50
Hi johno,

We have just left 80 mile beach caravan park yesterday after spending 3 weeks camped there. We also stayed at Pardoo Station stay on the way for 1 night and took a look into Barn Hill and Port Smith caravan parks. Cape Keraudren camping area (turnoff at Pardoo Roadhouse) had a sign on the highway saying "full up"
80 mile park I would rate the best all round. $37 per night overnight, $35 per night extended, powered, good water and clean amenities, access to beach for vehicles between 7.00am and 7.00pm. This park has been extended dramatically and has a bunch of permanent (5 months of the year) "grey nomads" I wonder if the last person out of Victoria and South Australia remembered to turn out the lights...lol. We played "Spot the WA car/van. Fuel not sold here but a fairly good shop, a little expensive.
Port Smith is a smaller park in a nice setting except for the sand flies which we were told can be a problem because the lagoon not far away is surrounded by mangroves. Now we were told this speaking to one of the residents so not an actual experience. Maybe he wanted to keep the mud crabs for himself..hehe. The rates were similar to 80 mile and fuel was available here, from memory both diesel and ULP. A nice little shop and very reasonable prices.
Barn Hill has a nice location and beach, the park actually is overlooking the ocean. Powered sites came with a choice of 10amp or 4amp power supply at different rates or a dedicated generator site if you had your own genny at a lower rate. The only downside we noticed was that the ablution blocks could do with a significant upgrade, well the ones we saw certainly could.
Pardoo station caravan park was $35 per night powered. The park is undergoing an expansion to cater for mine workers who can't get accomodation closer to places like Port Hedland or some new mines a bit closer. The upside is they have established a small resturant to cater for the workers. We gave it a shot and found the food pretty good but not fancy if you know what I mean. The ammenities are being upgraded so not too bad.
Hope this ramble helps a bit.

Cheers

Pop
AnswerID: 487946

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:10

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:10
Pop,
Having been to all those places over the years your discription is very acurate and should be a help to others.
FollowupID: 763196

Sponsored Links