100 series LC acceleration problem Help Needed

Submitted: Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:12
ThreadID: 96119 Views:2768 Replies:14 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I am on my way to Cape York towing my Ultimate camper trailer. I have just had my 150000 service (very expensive).

When I accelerate up a hill the engine looses power, this does not seem to occur without the trailer attached. It could be fuel starvation, but whatever it is I need to have it fixed before I hit the Cape.

Iam in Dubbo at the moment and will be in Lightning Ridge tomorrow.

Has any 100series (auto) owner had similar problems and solved them? Any help gratefully received.

If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toby R (Karratha) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:23

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:23
Hi Rob

I would be contacting whoever serviced your cruiser especially if it was fine before you went in it does sound like a very strange problem.
AnswerID: 487970

Reply By: Axle - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:33

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:33
G/Day Rob, You haven't said which engine but at those ks Timming belts come into the equation for either engines, maybe a area to backtrack very quickley? Could be out if a change was done.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 487971

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:39

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:39
Every post I make, I remember something that i should have said after the event.

It is a turbo diesel, and the problem did occur once before the service. The timing belt was replaced in the recent service.

Thaank you all for your replies.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763184

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:35

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:35
When towing it will demand more fuel flow and if it isn't getting to the injector pump sufficiently quick enough it may/will damage it.
If you have just had it serviced it sounds like the fuel filter hasn't been changed and is restricting high flow on demand when towing.
Dealers have a history of not changing fuel filters when they should be, OOSOOM applies, outof sight out of mind. Good profit for service centre though.
Get this checked immediately, get to prove to you it has been changed. Just because the service book is stamped it only proves it is stamped and in no way proves the service was ever done. All trust by you and no responsibility on the dealers here.
Contact the service duds, oh sorry dudes and start checking.

Is the air cleaner clean?
Is there any loose hoses on the engine?
Don't go to the Ridge just yet cos Dubbo will have the gear to check.
Get someone to measure the fuel pressure getting to the injection pump while at revs.

Ross M
AnswerID: 487973

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:44

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:44
I always carry a spare fuel filter. I could change it myself if I had to. I may give that a try.

Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763185

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:57

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:57
If you look at the filter housing you should be able to tell if someone has been near it or if it was "untouched".
FollowupID: 763187

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:19

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:19
Just read that it did happen before the service, so could be a blocked filter. Double check that it has been changed.
FollowupID: 763197

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:07

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:07
Rob, it sounds like fuel starvation or timing out by a tooth on the belt, I think.

Check your air cleaner first if it was not part of the pre trip service. If not...........

There is a very good diesel mob in Tamworth called Diesel Care. What they don't know, is not worth knowing. They should be able to diagnose PDQ I would think.

Do not know their address but easily found I guess. Tamworth will not take you far off your planned route I guess and you can easily get back on track from there anyway.

Mind you there should be plenty of good diesel mechanics in Dubbo as plenty of big trucks work out of there.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487975

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:34

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:34
Thank you Bruce.

I may wait until I get to Cairns, as I have friends there who can provide other support. The vehicle is drivable but not as good as it should be.

I was hoping to find someone who had an identical problem and had solved it. I can see me wasting a lot of time and money if I do not have a clear idea of what needs fixing.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763194

Follow Up By: david m5 - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:57

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:57
I had this problem once with a bio fuel mixture, No oomf. Only use real diesel now.
FollowupID: 763195

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:22

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:22
If it is fuel starvation and you intend to wait until Cairns I would think the repair bill will be expensive, lots of K's while starving for fuel should KO the pump nicely.
FollowupID: 763198

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:34

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 20:34
The problem is undetectable when not towing and when towing on the flat. It is only under heavy acceleration when towing that it occurs. I suspect when the fuel flow rate is very high.

I have read of people having trouble with the accelerator position switch; not exactly the same problem though.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763199

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 11:02

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 11:02
Rob,
I had a problem with my 100 series petrol cruiser while on hols recently.
As I could not get to the bottom of the problem easily without a scan tool, not that I would have recognised the fault codes anyway. So I booked it into Toyota to have them check the OBDs with their scan tool.

Result was that it was an intermittant fault and should be checked next time it reared its ugly head. But at least they confirmed my suspicions. I was able to finish the hols with an easy mind. Cost, about 50 bucks or less for the checking of the OBD, cheap for peace of mind to know the thing was not going to destroy itself in the near future.

I suggest you talk to Toyota and get them to check the Onboerd Diagnostics to see if it is expensive to fix.

May only be a few bucks worth to resolve. Probably cheaper than a major repair in an out of the way place.

Know you did not want to hear that but the strongest rule in the book is Murphy's Law.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 763216

Reply By: Derek Jones - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 23:48

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 23:48
Could be something as simple as something being over-tightened in the lines.

Over-tightening may result in a rubber washer being pinched and not sealing properly.

On CSR a few years ago I did a daily walk around and ended up 'over-tightening' the rubber washer at the base of the filter (just to make sure it didn't vibrate loose). End result when teh engine was under load and accelerating up a high we lost power.

Loosened rubber washer and no more problems.

Might help.
AnswerID: 487982

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 23:49

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 23:49
Edit - vehicle was a Nissan Patrol but could be same issue.
FollowupID: 763209

Reply By: dindy - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 07:21

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 07:21
Rob do not wait until cairns, it would appear that you have a serious fuel issue which may have been present prior to the last service.

Service personnel may not have even taken the vehicle for a road test after that service and even if they had the vehicle would not have been driven under load so the issue would not have been evident.

Even if the service had been performed to absolutely to spec it may not have found the fault if they were not aware of it. They will only do what the book indicates for that service, maybe.

You will find plenty of good diesel mechs in dubbo, it is the major centre prior to the western districts and heaps of your type of vehicle exist in the area, Someone will know what your problem is and reslove it for you.

Even if all filters have been replaced at service there may be an issue with the fuel delivery system itself, driving to cairns in this condition will place your expensive engine at risk.
AnswerID: 487985

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 07:40

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 07:40
Hi Rob (-4 C)

Had the car serviced last week (200K). Went to Sydney and she hardly skipped a beat. Didn't change down on the hills in cruise either. But after filling up at a cheap place with the stupid idea of savibng a few dollars she is not as good on the hills. Quite a bit of power lost. Never again on cheap fuel. The difference was quite noticeable.

Same place for the service but I wonder if you got some bad fueal.

Also I second the idea of getting it looked at in Dubbo.

Off to the hills with GT and the rangers looking at the tracks south east of here. A clean up after the storms.

Enjoy the trip.

Phil
AnswerID: 487986

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 08:09

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 08:09
I meant to say that could it be a bit of bad fuel.

My tanks were almost empty when I filled up with the cheap rubbish.
FollowupID: 763213

Reply By: Athol W - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 09:26

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 09:26
Rob D
It sounds every much like a blocked fuel filter, and this can occur within 1 tank of fuel or less. If you have picked up some dirty fuel you may change the filter a number of times before getting rid of the dirt, and in extreme cases this may even be within a few km.

I would be changing the fuel filter at the first sign of normal operation on the flat and when accelerating, and when normal operation initially on the hill then loosing power whilst going up any hill, as this is the first sign of a fuel starvation generally caused by a blockage.

When travelling in any part of outback Australia I always carry at least 2 spare fuel filters, and be prepared to change them on the roadside.

Hope this helps
Regards
Athol W
Motor MEchanic (Retired)
AnswerID: 487989

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 09:42

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 09:42
Rob
Don't push on mate !

Go and get it fixed.

not worth the hastle.

Drop your truck down a gear, and keep revs to between 2800 & 3000 going up hills. You may get a pleasent suprise.
Do not labour the moror, especially up hills.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 487994

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 06:54

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 06:54
Opps
Rob
In your situation... I would be getting the 4B loooked at immediately, so I did not ruin my holidays.

Sounds like a dirty fuel/injector problem..
A blocked filter (the size of a pea) almost ruined our trip to the Tip, last year

Also
I need to correct a few things.
99% of the time I tow in 4th gear, and on the rear occasion I did tow in 5th, it cost me $2600, for a new 5th gear.
This is what I do, these days.......( usually )
With the new 5th gear...

I generally start out towing in 5th
After a couple of hrs, I am sick of the constant changing, so I just drive in 4th
Highway speed, is roughly 90--95 KM/Hr rearly above it.

If I am feeling energetic.
On the flat, with tail or no wind
As soon as I hit a rise, I am down a gear,
back to 4th, and spinning the motor, rev range 2500-2800.
Over the rise back up to 5th.

With a head wind 4th gear all day.

Suprised with my economy, not really.....Towing is always heavy on fuel, but I was so down on power, at highway speed, I finally put a bigger turbo on the motor. ..

The resullt.... Still heavy on fuel .. But heaps more power towing.
Hope this makes more sence than the earlier post.

Life is always about compromise.

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 763273

Reply By: Member - Josh- Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 10:49

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 10:49
Just a long shot, but crawl under the vehicle and see if you have pinched/squashed a fuel hose somewhere. Saw a guy with a similar problem on an older cruiser. In one of his off road adventures he had managed to do some damage under neath, as a result he had a pinched fuel line. Ok without load but starved under load. He actually found it when he stopped to fix a flat tire.
It certainly does sound like fuel starvation and I would be getting it fixed while in Dubbo. It would be expensive to get it towed if it dies in the middle of no where.

Josh
AnswerID: 487999

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 12:39

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 12:39
Hi Rob,
Hubby's advice!
It could be in your fuel lines.
Especially in these new cars. We have an 8o series Diesel & always put an additive in the fuel. With all the different fuels you buy apparently a fungus builds up inside the lines & if it gets really thick it is a very big and expensive job to clean everything out I would ring the company the other bloke said to ring. Hubby has said don't go any further until you can find the problem or it won't go at all in the end.Good luck with it. Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now, It's apparently still raining up there. Ma.
AnswerID: 488006

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 14:19

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 14:19
It's highly likely that it's a fuel starvation problem - and it will more than likely be a blocked filter - a squashed fuel line as mentioned - the rubber inside lining peeling out of a rubber hose connection (causing fuel flow restriction) - or a blocked screen on the suction line in the tank.
AnswerID: 488015

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 17:59

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 17:59
Thank you all very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

I have not been ignoring the advice given, I have been weighing it up with the information from LCOOL and other websites.

Today I moved on to Lightning Ridge, but used the main tank rather than the larger long ranger tank. The problem seems to have disappeared. I quickly switched to the tank I was using yesterday and the problem re appeared.

Hopefully I know where the problem is now.

Once again thank you all.

Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763244

Follow Up By: Harrow - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:04

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:04
Hi Rob

Now youve narrowed onto the LR tank check
Tank venting , take cap off and run
Kinked/ damaged hoses from LR tank (and overtightened zip ties)
Pickup screen clogged in tank
Changeover solenoid

Take line off B4 and after solenoid and pressurise tank a little see if you have a cood flow, compare to main tank

Cheers

Harrow
FollowupID: 763269

Reply By: Keith Q - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:22

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:22
Does your LC have a turbo waste gate? If so it could be stuck in the open position.
AnswerID: 488058

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 15:18

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 15:18
Sorry I have not been able to reply to each of you individually. I am clumsily tapping away on me wife's iPad with one finger when I get the chance.

Truck ran OK today on main tank. I will avoid using the long range tank until I can get the problem sorted.

I did have the diagnostics checked when this problem first occurred, it came up with nothing of significance.

Thank you all once again.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 488082

Sponsored Links