80 Mile Beach to Alice Springs - Kidson Track/Wapet Road - Gary Junction Road

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:37
ThreadID: 96183 Views:3836 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My brother and me are planning to travel from 80 Mile Beach to Alice Springs along the Kidson Track/Wapet Road via Kunawarritji, via Gary Junction Road to Alice Springs between 23.6.12 and 10.7.12.
Does anyone have any updates on the condition of the track, good camp-sites or any other useful information?
Does anyone want to team up with us?
We will travel in a white 2004 Hilux 4WD, Dualcab 3.0 TD, call sign STALKER793 Ch 10. We have recovery kit, exhaust jacks, sandladders/waffleboards, shovels, handwinch + extension, compressor, 230 L diesel and 60 - 80 L of water plus all the other gear.\
Any comment will be greatly appreciated!!

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 18:09

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 18:09
G'day, a fairly easy run, well it was two years ago. Track is heavily overgrown in places, hope you don't mind scratches................. Some good wash aways in places, some could catch you out if not careful, I was lucky, had 4 motor bikes to find all the big wash outs for me...... Have a great trip.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488193

Follow Up By: STALKER793 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 19:02

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 19:02
Thank you John!
Scratches are ok and I will watch for those washouts you mentioned. I'm planning to take 10 days for the trip, how long did it take you? We want to take it nice and slow and enjoy it. Any recommendations for good campsites or places to check out?
Cheers, Jason
FollowupID: 763426

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:14

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:14
Jason, we had a dead line to meet, can't remember how many days from Alice to 80 Mile Beach, think we took about 4 days. Plenty of spots to camp, not many people around on that track. Enjoy your trip. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488210

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:13

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:13
Hi Jason,

check out this thread from a few weeks ago.

We're heading off east to west on that route in early August.

Have a look at Mick O's video of the WAPET/Kidson Track. It'll give you really good idea of what it's like. Have a read of Motherhen's blog at http://www.exploroz.com/Members/56825.125/6/2009/The_Gary_Junction_Road_through_to_Alice_Springs.aspx.

I've read it takes 4 to 6 days to do the trip and don't expect to pass many vehicles.

Have you got your permits from Central Lands Council and WAITOC (I think). You'll need them and the WA is taking a while for us. If you haven't check out http://www.waitoc.com/permits/

Let us know how it is when you get somewhere.
We'll be keen to get some info.

Have fun,
Steve
AnswerID: 488215

Follow Up By: STALKER793 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:41

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:41
Hello Steve,
thank you so much for your reply and putting all this links together for me.
I watched the awesome video of Mick, its very good quality and gives me a very good idea of what to expect.
I could not open Motherhen's blog but will have a thorough browse of this website as soon as I have more time.
Yes we have all the permits we need from WA and NT.
When (hopefully) we are back in July I will post a detailed report on here and let you know how it went.
I read a few times now that not many people travel this road. We rely on UHF radio and a 406 Mhz GPS PLB for emergencies. Sat phone was too expensive to hire or buy.
I'll keep you posted!

Jason
FollowupID: 763448

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 23:18

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 23:18
Hi Jason,

I'm sure you'll have great trip.

Try this for Motherhen's Blog.

We were looking at Sat phones but the cost got us too. We're getting a Spot for a bit of insurance.
If you get stuck just wait around. We'll be along sooner or later to give you a hand.

I read that fuel at Kunawarritji was $3.80 a couple of weeks ago.
We're going to stop in at the Communities along the way if we can to say good day. I'm really looking forward to it. In 7 weeks time we'll be on the road.

Safe travels,
Steve
FollowupID: 763451

Reply By: Checkers - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 23:39

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 23:39
Just back from a trip up the WAPET/Kidson Track (13 June 2012). We came off the CSR and fuel at Kunawarritji was $3.40, the shop is well stocked like a small supermarket. The 100 or so km's to Lake Auld was all big, wide, well made gravel road, suitable for road trains. The next 60km's north was on a well made (but unused) easily followed track with occasionally camel dust holes to look out for. The next 200 km's was again easily followed but unused. The wash outs were not too bad and only needed 4WD occasionally. There are patches were the vegetation grows into the track and a few scratches is the only worry. 250 km's from the highway we encountered well made road, the result of mining exploration that is ongoing eastward. This road has road trains travelling on it. There are areas of but not too bad yet. HEMA Desert Tracks has all tracks well marked, very few use the track, we camped at one of the windmills marked on the map (no water)....It took us a day and a bit without many stops.

Enjoy,

Checkers.
AnswerID: 488778

Follow Up By: STALKER793 - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 04:20

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 04:20
Hello Checkers,
thank you very much for your report. Some very good information there, much appreciated. Sounds like the track is in good condition. We plan to go very slowly and camp plenty on the way. We will start driving down to 80 Mile beach on Thursday or Friday. I will report back when we are back.

Cheers, Jason :-)
FollowupID: 763931

Sponsored Links