Value for money

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 08:40
ThreadID: 96234 Views:1943 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This is the story of a well run business that gives value for money.

I don't know this fella from a bar of soap but the trip we received down the Victoria River was all and more than one could expect for their dollar. He sure knows the river it's wildlife and history.

One of the great bonuses is the fella who owns and runs it came here with his Dad in 1951 and worked most of that time on a local cattle station that fronts the river. Often the tour guide has no feel for the area and just sprouts a rehearsed commentary but with this locals knowledge and savvy you get a great tour.

The gear was top class, modern and running 2 quiet Honda 4 stroke outboards.

3.5 hour trip, 70 k's there and back and food/drinks supplied.

Hope this is not seen as advertising for Victoria River Cruise at Timber creek but when I get such good valve for moneyI believe it is worthwhile passing it on.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sweetwill - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:22
I am looking for the like button.
AnswerID: 488360

Reply By: Pradobob - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 16:40
Yep. I agree. We did the tour in July last year. I even caught a few catfish from the "afternoon tea" pontoon. Saw heaps of crocs. Good value. A beautiful place.
I think he was the fella who put on the magnificent fireworks display for Territory Day last year as well. Great (free) show!
Bob
AnswerID: 488388

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 19:18
Yes,
same operator and as I said gives value for money.

He sure knows the place.
FollowupID: 763588

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 19:58
Rockape - Thanks for the tip and the business plug. We'll be touring through there in early July and I was wondering what was worth investigating at Timber Creek/Victoria River. That sounds like a good tour that will keep SWMBO happy.

I'm surprised that the Victoria has enough water in it for boating in the dry season. Now, it's been an awful long time since I went through that area (July 1969 to be precise), and I can recall there was no highway - just a shocker of a bulldust-and-massive-pothole-littered mongrel of a "road" - and the crossing at the Victoria River was just a bulldozed creek crossing.
We splashed through the River in the Holden ute, with the water barely thigh deep.

Is the cruise through the lower estuarine reaches of the River, that always has deep water in it?

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 488410

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 20:39

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 20:39
Ron,
Know it is up in the upper reaches. The tide still pushes the fresh back this far. I think about 180k from the coast. Will post a photo at the end.

We have stayed 3 days but 2 would be plenty.

Had a good look around as there are some good tracks around that you can find out about at the ranger station about 2 k west of Timber creek.

You could probably get a copy of the tracks and history from.
www.nt.gov/nretas/parks

If you want to stay in Timber creek the community park is good. The hotel park is ok or you can stay at Big Horse creek about 5k west which is part of the NT. parks.

Community store just east of the pub is well stocked and very clean.

Mate the price for the run up the river is $85 each. When you consider he runs you out in a bus and brings you back, then does 70K on the water stopping when ever with no inkling of trying to rush. Has a large pontoon that he docks at and feeds you. Then he catches a few catfish and feeds the local birds on the river.

What impressed me most was his total lack of rushing anyone and his knowledge.

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 763596

Sponsored Links