warm clothing/jacket

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:06
ThreadID: 96329 Views:3762 Replies:14 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hey all im new to this site so i will start off by saying HELLO.
i need some advice on warm jacket options,im going to northern india at the end of the year and im going to need some warm clothes,as i live in the tropic i dont have any.
so im putting it out there if anyone can point me in the right direction on a jacket that is suitable for travelling that is warm,wind proof and maybe even waterproof.
if you can help me out please let me know
cheers marty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:18

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:18
Marty,

These are nice and toasty :)

Warm Jackets

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488733

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:19

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:19
Martib
You need to visit stores like 'Mountain Designs' or 'Kathmandu' where you find advice on what and which clothing is available.
Things like overnight drying of washed articles and warm clothing made from 'polartec' which is light in weight and easy to pack.
Things like socks that dry quickly are important.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488734

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:59

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 17:59
Marty

I don't know whether you will be "treking" or on an organised bus tour or have regular access to laundry facillities, whether you will be backpacking/ if so if you are are you carrying your own gear or do you have porters, or are you travelling with suitcases??????
These all influence what to buy/ take.

What ever you answer to the above, layering will still be the way to go.
That is be prepared to have multiple layers rather than have one massive coat.
As mentioned above stores like Mountain Design and Kathmandu have a lot of on line information. Kathmandu have their regular winter sale on at the moment, they have a catalogue you can downlaod, their "red hot" sale prices probabably just bring their prices down equivalent to most other good camping stores.
Personally I would be taking a merino thermal singlet/under shirt, polar fleece and a lightweight, long rain jacket. You can then layer up with adddional amounts (Shirts, jumpers, cheap flanelette shirts etc). But depends on your budget, how you sare travelling and whether you will ever use any of these items again, as well as the above mentioned factors.

Alle depends what you are doing. IF I am vehicle camping in the desert in winter, good old heavy cotton overalls are probably some of the best clothing you can take. IF I am backpacking then I am after lightweight, synthetics on top of my woolen/ Meriono woolen undergarments.

Mark

AnswerID: 488737

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 18:25

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 18:25
Hi Marty,

If you are travelling, the last thing you need is a bulky jacket.

The best advice I can give is to have layers of lighter clothes and ending up with a light, but waterproof outer jacket that can be easily packed away when not required.

We have recently been on a holiday to Canada and Alaska and layered clothing worked for us.

Start out with a tee shirt underneath a long sleeve cotton shirt, then perhaps a sleeveless jacket (I have a sleeveless drizabone) and finally a lightweight but waterproof spray jacket. Perhaps a scarf to wrap around your ne k if really breezy and this should be all you need, unless you are in blizzard conditions.

Finish off wth your favourite hat and you will be good to go anywhere.
We caried a lightweight "backpack" as a day bag and placed our jackets and camera equipment, etc. In it.

No bulky heavy jackets were required.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 488740

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:03

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:03
Id buy it over there. Wont be the overpriced designer garbage from here and will be built for the job
AnswerID: 488745

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:52

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:52
A lot of the stuff we buy here is from India.
It'd be like taking coal to Newcastle.

Steve
FollowupID: 763912

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:12

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:12
As said above it is better to layer your clothing then trying to get one jacket to do it.

If its really cold we use 2 to 3 layers ...... first layer is a "base layer", the second one is a mid layer and then a light breathable wind and water proof jacket.

To give you an idea we can hours out in the cold (0-5 deg C.) for hours and stay warm with 2 to 3 layers of light weight clothing.

As with most stuff you pay for what you get...... years ago we bought cheap thermals and a thick jacket and got sick an tired of it being heavy, uncomfortable and needing to take off when it got to hot and then put it back on when it got cold..... since going to good thermals and a jacket we can keep them on between 0 deg C. and up to about 20 deg C. with out feeling to cold or to hot.

The base and mid layers are "Icebreaker" brand from NZ (made in China) and the jacket we use are by "The North face"....... price wise the thermals are between $140-$190 and the jacket around $430.... plus don't forget a really good thermal lid for your head.

http://au.icebreaker.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-IB-AU-Site/default/Home-Show

http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/index.html

With the base and mid layers get pure wool or close to (90% wool + 10% something), wool balances your body temp better, doesn't smell after long use and lasts longer over the cheaper synthetics..... we could not believe the difference between wool and synthetic thermals.

Another thing is by good hiking socks and quality boots.... if buying leather treking/hiking boots allow about 30 hour of wearing to bed in.

The leather boots we wear are about $440 and are made by Zamberlan in Italy, get boots suited for your needs...... there is a difference between hiking, treking and general use boots.

http://www.zamberlanusa.com/

Best thing is go to either Paddy Pallin, Mountain Design or Kathmandu and ask for their help...... don't go to Rays Outdoors, Anaconda or one of the cheap outdoors shops....... be careful with buying online and of Ebay, if they are an authorised reseller then your safe.

If you spend good money you will be comfortable and it will last for many years.

AnswerID: 488747

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:17

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:17
Should add....

The base and mid layers are "Icebreaker" brand from NZ (made in China) and the jacket we use are by "The North face"....... price wise the thermals are between $140-$190 and the jacket around $430.... plus don't forget a really good thermal lid for your head.

..... The $140-$190 for the thermals is per layer per piece.

We use leggins for under our jeans or slacks type track suit bottoms, short and long sleeve base layer to plus a short and long sleeve mid layer.
FollowupID: 763875

Reply By: Bill BD - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:14

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:14
I did a tour of Europe in winter and it was often -6 all day. All I had was a goose down filled jacket and it was fantastic. It crushes down to quite a small packet but fluffs up so you look like the michelin man when wearing it. It weighs less than a kilo by memory. I believe mine is a mountain designs. Not waterproof though. Didn't need it to be waterproof because it was far to cold to rain.
AnswerID: 488748

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:24

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:24
Just as a follow up - I took thermals but seldom used them. I agree about layering if you are trecking but I just didn't find it useful in Europe. That may be partly because everything indoors is well heated. Once indoors I was boiling hot and wanted to strip off to remove my thermals. On the coldest days I wore: 2 pairs of socks under my leather boots, pair of long pants (nothing special), normal shirt, scarf and good beanie (absolutely necessary), and the down filled jacket. That did for me everywhere - and we would stay outdoors for long periods. As has been said, get quick dry stuff that does not hold water.
FollowupID: 763879

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:32

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:32
Absotuelty, I have a down Jacket and it is the warmest thing, and weighs next to nothing and compacts up to a handfull.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 763882

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:29

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 19:29
Get onto the torpedo7 website and have a squiz.

Grab the men's 'ridgeline' 8 piece pack. Ridgeline is a kiwi hunting brand. for $70 odd. Mid layers done.

Then have a look at a Mckinley soft shell jacket - about $80.00

I'll second the merino gear. Mine's 150 grade mountain designs pants ($50 odd on sale).

A soft shell is waterproof for a while, but will get wet eventually. What it does do is breath 1000x (exageration) better than a goretex raincoat, so you can wear a softshell everywhere and be comfortable and not look like a goose in a raincoat. You can carry lightweight 100% waterproof gear like the rainbird stuff for if you really need it - it folds up really small.

As also mentioned, don't skimp on boots and make sure they are worn in.
AnswerID: 488751

Reply By: Lee B1 - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:22

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 21:22
I suppose it depends on how cold it is and how warm you want to be and how much luggage you want.

For light travel, extras such as a thermal singlet, maybe a possum merino jumper and lightweight windproof jacket would be good comfy minimal backpack type of gear

For something a bit more outdoorish ?? consider a 1st layer next to the skin. I have found the wool T shirts and singlets are the only ones where you don't smell after a day. I have tried several and now only buy the Australian made wool or wool mix ($15 to $30) from Ebay. If it doesn't say made in Australia don't bother as the quality isn't the same. They keep you warm without that hot muggy feel and seem to last for years. Some of the better polyester t shirts have an antibacterial coating that works to some extent. I however find them a bit muggy.

Fleece jackets are a warm addition to travel clothing and the Kathmandu, North Face, Patagonia etc are all good jackets and have the colours, brand name and style attached to them. I have found Gondwana to be as good or better for half the price and will wear well for several seasons. If you are not into Brand names, the American Military Polartec is the best out there. Search ECWCS polartec under ebay. Make sure they are made in the USA by Military Surplus Contractors and for $60 delivered you will have the best high tech warm jacket anywhere (Colour is normally black).

Polartec has reasonable windproofing but a light windproof cover jacket over the polartec, is well worth the extra cost. I have no particular brand preference here, however if you doing hiking and camping something that covers the hips is a bonus.

If weight may be an issue ? possum/wool jumpers jackets, jackets, beanies, gloves and socks from New Zealand are LIGHTWEIGHT, expensive but VERY warm and comfortable and on a cold night worth every dollar and then some.

As a cold feet person I have tried most socks available including merino, mohair, cashmere, silk and all the blends. Bridgedale and Heat Sealers from the UK are better than most of the field but I have found possum.merino hiking socks to be the warmest most comfortable sock you can buy anywhere . Expect to pay $30 a pair for these. Lastly an umbrella (buy one over there)can be an absolute godsend.
AnswerID: 488770

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:28

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:28
A good quality gortex water/wind proof outer shell then a number of eco-fleeces that you can add or remove to suite the tempreture.
Also thermal undies offer good warmth for their wieght and size to carry in really cold areas
As others have mentioned good outdoors shops like Mountain Design etc will be able to supply your needs. Look out for the end of season sales as they ofen have good stuff half price.

AnswerID: 488791

Reply By: Member - KYLE S - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:11

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:11
Yep! Layers.
I travelled mid-winter through Rajasthan and Nepal,
Found the Rajasthan desert very cold in fact freezing. Wore long sieve skivvy, wool jumper and on top a thick Polar Fleece. Warm but not good in the wind, and bulky to pack. IF YOU ARE HICKING OR BICYCLING IGNOR MY COMMENTS AND GET ADVICE FROM AN AGENCY THAT ARRANGES SUCH TOURS.
I don’t travel anymore but walk the dogs and now have a Kathmandu Goose down, hip length Jacket. Very Very warm and crunches up smallish for packing. Quite expensive but well worth it.
If you have not been to India before, just accept what you see and don’t think too much about the people aspects of the way of our world. After all you alone cannot change it.
You will see amazing architecture and incredible carving and scenery of utmost splendour.
AnswerID: 488796

Reply By: martib - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 16:20

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 16:20
thanks for all your great advice ill go though it all properly tonight
cheers marty
AnswerID: 488819

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:38

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:38
Hi martib,

Further to the above replies, thermal wear (particularly merino wool) is a great option for layering as it requires less washing and has a great warmth to weight ratio. Wearing thermals as a base layer means that you can afford to wear lighter weight clothing on top (great for travelling when packing space is limited). We've been researching affordable, Australian-made merino thermal wear here at the ExplorOz Shop, so keep an eye on our upcoming newsletters for further info.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488896

Reply By: grunta1970 - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 18:16

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 18:16
Hey martib. Im assuming that when you say Northern India you probably dont mean any further north than Delhi, but I could be wrong. As much as I am a gear and clothing freak when I am in Aus, NZ etc, all the many times I have been to India I have just purchased clothing locally, be it summer clothing for the warmer months or heavier clothing for the winter months if I am heading north. It is way cheaper to buy off the shelf or get stuff made there.
In saying that, I think that the quality, especially for the cold weather gear, is no where near comparable to the big brands here. Buy it cheap there, get rid of it when you leave, Easy. I think too many people on here are trying to complicate things for you too much by giving you too many options when its not neccessary.
AnswerID: 489033

Sponsored Links