Kings Canyon and Palm Valley

I am on my way to the Kimbeleys and was thinking of going down to have a look at these to sites are they worth the 600km round trip?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:14

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:14
Yes ! - on a lovely sunny morning with a clear blue sky, the rim walk at Kings is a knockout (scenery - geology - flora.... the lot). Allow a few hours for that.
Palm Valley ? Wonderful ! You get to drive in along what is possibly the world's oldest river - the red sandstone geology is amazing (the colours the patterns etc.). There are several walks, from shorter to a few hours (the longest Mpara walk is my favourite). The palms are a highlight, but were recently discovered to be relatively young, compared to the previously held view that they were established a gazillion (a technical term) years ago. If you can get Namatjira drive into your loop, a visit to Ormiston Gorge and Gosse Bluff (meteorite crater) might be possible.
AnswerID: 488882

Reply By: Pradobob - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:26

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:26
The rim walk at Kings Canyon was one of the highlights of our 3 month trip to NT last year. Needs to be done at least once in your lifetime.
Bob
AnswerID: 488886

Follow Up By: Racey - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:42

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:42
The climb to the rim looked a tad beyond me, so I did the helicopter flight. It was most exhilarating. The views are spectacular.

Jon
FollowupID: 764020

Follow Up By: Graeme - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:56

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 09:56
The rim walk is certainly on my bucket list and will hopefully be done next month.
FollowupID: 764021

Follow Up By: GrumpyOldFart - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:04

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:04
The rim walk is a must.
Took me three rest stops to get to the top of the first steep climb!! but it is all easy from there on. Take snacks and water and some more water.
It is just spectacular

Dru
Remember
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 764022

Follow Up By: Pradobob - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:05

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:05
The climb to the rim does look a bit daunting. I'm an overweight, arthritic 63 year old, so I took it easy. There are always plenty of people up there if you get into strife. Take plenty of water.
However, if you don't do any exercise normally, this would not be a good place to start!
A helicopter flight would have been great too!
Bob
FollowupID: 764023

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:20

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:20
We started out on the Rim Walk early in the day to beat the heat on the initial climb. Taking it easy, it was not difficult. We had by then been touring for some weeks so had built up a bit of fitness on the many walks. When we finished, and were looking a the signage near the start, i walked off and said "Gee that was great - let's do it again" just to see the shocked looks from the people in the tour groups that had just staggered in LOL.

There is always the alternative of the easy flat walk down the canyon for those who cannot do the rim walk which is one way only so no turning back.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764044

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:02

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:02
Absolutely!! Kings Canyon is one of the most beautiful places I have had the pleasure to have visited.

And while you're in the area, 35k's east of Kings Canyon is Kings Creek Station, which is a great place to have a look at and soak up some of the local history.

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 488890

Reply By: Member - GregK5202 Qld - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:17

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:17
Yes, Kings Canyon is well worth the visit. Try to arrange your refueling so as not to get fuel there though. Keep your eyes open on the canyon walk and you might see some Spinifex pigeons. They blend beautifully with the red rock and will sit and let you walk past at a few meters.
AnswerID: 488898

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 14:16
Hi Shaz and Steve

How long do you have?

I agree that the Kings Canyon Rim walk was the best in Central Australia.Palm Valley was also lovely and there a a number of different walks. Both the East and the West MacDonnells were lovely too - especially the East.

We went on to Central Australia following our Kimberley trip in 2008. I have blogs here if you are interested - just check the My Blogs link hereunder and look for 2008. We spent a total of nine weeks in the Kimberley including three and half weeks on the Gibb River Road, including the spur to Kalumburu and the Mitchell Plateau. Some of the rest of our stay in Kununurra was down time. We went on to spend five weeks in Central Australia in and around Alice Springs, although this too included a few days on r&r.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 488908

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:41

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 17:41
Kings Canyon walk is very scenic all right, colours and landscapes that seem surreal.

I second Darians suggestion to try and incorporate a loop of the West Macdonnels in there, the gorges are well worth some time, large relaxing campgrounds if not a busy time, and plenty of birds and animals come in to drink.

If you fancy a good walk (half a day), Redbank Gorge is the starting point of the Mt Sonder summit walk.

Did all this a couple of years ago . . . We got the Glen Helen Station people to drop us out the west end of Mt Zeil range to the NW of Mt Sonder, bagged Zeil (NTs highest peak) and we walked 19 days back to Alice, once into Redbank Gorge via the Larapinta Track.
We got rain, lots of it, and it was FFREEEEEZING at times.

After we got in we cleaned up and next day did an Oka Palm Valley day trip, awesome, fine weather, the Finke R was running strong, and Palm Valley was beaut !!

AnswerID: 488919

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:41
Yes they're worth it.

There is a nice drive along the Finke River in the Fink Gorge National Park too for 4wd if you get sick of bitumen.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488952

Reply By: WBS - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:30

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 08:30
Kings Canyon is worth the trip. We did the rim walk in driving rain on the coldest day recorded for the area (early July 2010). There was a spectacular waterfall emanating from the pool at the end of the Garden of Eden. On the previous day we'd walked up the valley of the canyon as far as we could go. Just as well, the next day, the creek changed from a trickle to a sizeable creek flowing quite strongly so no-one could walk up the valley. We had to wade across the knee deep the creek to get back to the car park at the end of the walk. How many people get to see Kings Canyon in the wet? It was fantastic. We opted not to go to Alice via the Larapinta Drive, instead going back south on the sealed road.

Palm Valley.
We departing Alice Springs at around 7:00 am when we drove down to Palm Valley. The Finke River was running at the time so there were many wide shallow water crossing (July 2010). From Palm Valley, after a brief look at Hermannsburg, we headed along Namatjra Drive to Goss' Bluff , visited Tylers Lookout for a better perspective of Goss Bluff then up to Glen Helen Gorge and back to Alice. We ran out of daylight after we visited Ormiston Gorge and the Ochre Pits. We went back to Ormiston Gorge the next day for a better look and worked our way back to Alice Springs visiting all the places on interest along the way. Another very long but worthwhile day.

WBS

AnswerID: 488999

Sponsored Links