Camping at Exmouth or Monkey Mia

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 15:55
ThreadID: 96365 Views:2766 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there moved from Qld a few years ago to Perth for work in mines. My wife and i are going camping at either Exmouth or Monkey Mia just need peoples opinion thats all nothing else where would you rather go for 2 weeks and go fishing .

Thanks taking the new 76 series up with all the fruit either towing the caravan or camper trailer .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wizzer73 - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:22

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 18:22
I would prefer to go to exmouth. Better shore based fishing in my opinion. If staying in the cape range national park I think you need to book.
dec camp book

Why not visit both places in one trip?

wizzer
AnswerID: 488925

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 19:52
Hi. My brother is currently near Exmouth at a place I think is called Mesa. You have to line up at a gate early morning and wait for someone to leave,first in best dressed. He has been there three weeks and said up until last week that the fish were not biting all that well but still a great place to camp. Bob.
AnswerID: 488945

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 20:06
If camping at exmouth I found all the dec campsites full....... except the 2 campsites south if yardie which were deserted. Once the bitumen stops so do 99% of the campers
AnswerID: 488949

Reply By: turbo 79series - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2012 at 21:24
Exmouth is where I was thinking, getting some useful tips from a few local boys from work. Can get to a few good spots where the charter boats go fishing in a bay but you can 4wdrive there and camp It's on a station property
AnswerID: 488970

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 14:36

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 14:36
Hi turbo, It's usually pretty windy at Exmouth. I've stayed at Denham, but if you can get to a place that is less populated I'd go there.

Cheers

Rob
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 764156

Reply By: J&V - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:52

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:52
Hi Turbo, Whilst I am not too familiar with Exmouth camping options, I have done a few trips to the Shark Bay region. IMO, Monkey Mia itself is over priced and over rated, Denham is a nice place and maybe considered the poor cousin of Monkey Mia although I would stay in Denham again long before Monkey Mia. Nanga station on the way too Denham has a caravan park which is basically on the waters edge, looked ok when I went fishing there but I didnt stay there. North of Denham is Cape Peron, I did a day trip there and always thought I would go back there camping one day. But the pick for me from a purley isolation (4WD Only), fishing and relaxation point of view would be Steep Point either at the point itself or in one of the bays leeding to the point. Better fishing also as the whole of Shark Bay has more stringent fishing rules (Pink Snapper point of view) than Steep Point. Basically a a imaginary line from Rangers Staion accross to Dirk Hartog island - Ocean Side rules are different to Bay side.

Cheers
AnswerID: 489005

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 14:53

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 14:53
Can recommend Cape Peron - speccy place.

For Nigaloo - unless you want to go through the NP argy-bargy for a camp site - I'd definitely recommend Yardie Homestead - nice place, nice people, relaxed and it's only 20-30 mins down to Ningaloo anyway.
AnswerID: 489019

Reply By: turbo 79series - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 18:17
Ok found out exmouth to busy in august so ill be heading Yardie homestead seems relaxed and easy access for fishing thanku everyone for your advice ill have to visit all the spots mentioned thanku
AnswerID: 489034

Follow Up By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 19:06

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 19:06
Hi Turbo,
Mate in 2010 we stayed at Ningaloo Station its about 80km before you reach exmouth,you could camp right on the beach you get a colored key for different camp sites gates so no rif raf can get in there,it also has a great track running through the property that gets you into the Nat prk and to Yardie creek (just make sure you time the tides so you can get to Exmouth and back ) you need to be fully self sufficient and have a chem toilet and you can hire them from the station as well,we stayed 2 weeks and the fishing was unreal if that's your thing and I'm sure one of the regular campers will take you out past the reef if your keen,it has an old whaling station you can check out as well as fantastic snorkeling,well I just thought I would mention it as I often dream about going back but we live in SYD so its a bit far for us :( have fun what ever you decide mate.

Cheers John.

FollowupID: 764323

Reply By: turbo 79series - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 19:22

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 19:22
Thanks JB yes i cant wait we are staying for about 12 nights, i spoke to the station owner a day or so ago and i asked for a good camp site out of the direct line of the wind once it starts to blow.he has told me Jane bay is a very nice spot.He said to go have a look at the site ,and if i dont like can pick another.I thought that was nice of him.Yes plan to do alot of fishing my wife loves fishing.Trying to find a cheap tinny i can take on me camper trailer im so looking forward to it mate.
Cheers
AnswerID: 489186

Follow Up By: Member - Brad H (WA) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:18

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:18
G'day turbo,
You should have a ball. Look at Wooroora station, 14 mile camp for caravan camping right on the beach (and at the right price) just south of Coral Bay. There are also other beaches on this station property where you would get a camper trailer in to, but not the van. You will need to take a chemical toilet. Fishing is good and you can day trip to other good beaches/fishing spots on the property. If you are looking for a toilet or a tinnie I can help there with both at the right price.
Drop me an email at bigroobrad@hotmail.com

Brad H
FollowupID: 764452

Follow Up By: Member - Brad H (WA) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:22

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:22
Turbo, if you are considering "Woora" station, email me and I will let you know the best spots at 14 mile, tips on getting the tinnie in the water there, fishing tips etc. It is a lovely spot and I have a brother who camps there for months at a time

Brad H
FollowupID: 764454

Follow Up By: Member - Brad H (WA) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:45

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:45
Turbo, if you are considering "Woora" station, email me and I will let you know the best spots at 14 mile, tips on getting the tinnie in the water there, fishing tips etc. It is a lovely spot and I have a brother who camps there for months at a time

Brad H
FollowupID: 764457

Sponsored Links