ABR sidewinder Flyer duel battery system

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:19
ThreadID: 96386 Views:3804 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I would like some information on the "flyer" duel battery system and its performance whilst-
1. Charging the battery in the box.
2. Running a Waco/Engel fridge.
3. Charging a 3rd battery in a camper trailer using the Anderson plug connection when travelling.

I have no room under the bonnet and looking to put a battery box or similar in the tub.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Col
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:23
Derek at ABR would be able to give you all that info.

AnswerID: 489020

Follow Up By: Coldemon - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:09
Thanks shaker I will drop him a line
FollowupID: 764161

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:42

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 15:42
Hi, Have been using one for over 6 years now. Now in its 4th vehicle. More than satisfied. Had an issue lately & had to replace the isolator but don't consider that too bad for the time & rough usage.

Thing to watch is the electrolyte level as I found that it would evaporate in summer here (Cent. Q'ld). Time for running a fridge depends on the size of the battery & settings. Have had no trouble charging the van battery. The only mod I thought necessary was to add 2 Engel female plugs. The end screws off your Engel cord giving 2 prongs that fit the plug & a screw fitting. Can't come loose. You lose the fuse in the cord but the add on has its own fuses. (About $15 from memory) Nothing worse than to finish a days driving & find the plug has vibrated loose, the fridge has started to defrost & the plug is half melted from making a bad contact

Hope this helps Bill

AnswerID: 489024

Follow Up By: Coldemon - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:11

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:11
Sounds like it may do the trick Bill , Thanks for the info Bill
FollowupID: 764162

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:44

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 16:44
Why not use an AGM battery and not worry about the Electrolyte.

PeterH
FollowupID: 764168

Follow Up By: Honky - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:27

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:27
You may find those Engel plusgs around the $30 mark.

Honky
FollowupID: 764175

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:30

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 17:30
I have a 120 AGM battery in one of Derek's boxes and it works a treat

Also have an Anderson plug at back of vehicle which attaches to our van when towing , which allows charging both batteries by alternator.
At rest I have a 6 metre 8 B&S cable with Anderson plugs each end and by connecting this from van to vehicle, battery in Flyer is charged by either/or Battery charger in van or solar on van, at the same time as house battery is being charged.

Pedro
FollowupID: 764177

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 19:40

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 19:40
Col,

I use this exact same solution for an auxiliary battery in my dual cab.
In my case I have a 100Ah AGM battery inside.
When using an AGM battery, there is no issue in charging the battery whilst in the box.
I connect my 40l Engel fridge to the Flyer when travelling.

On most occasions I tow my camper trailer which has another Waeco upright fridge connected to two 80Ah AGM batteries.
To maintain a charge in these batteries I use a patch lead, connected to the output Anderson connector on the Flyer which protrudes from the tailgate. To this, I connect the power input lead for the trailer via Anderson connector to an on-board dc-dc charger in the trailer. This ensures an optimum level of voltage from the vehicle alternator, via the Flyer battery to the two batteries in the camper, enabling them to be continually charged when travelling.

The flyer is a great solution for a dual battery system in a dual cab or any other vehicle where an auxiliary battery cannot be mounted in the engine bay.
Actually, in my opinion, this type of dual battery solution, where the battery is mounted in the rear area of a vehicle is superior. Only a short and standard cable is required to connect the fridge and there will be no voltage drop in this method of fridge connection.
The cable supplied as part of the Flyer solution is heavy enough to ensure a sound connection from the starting battery to the Flyer, again with no voltage drop to worry about, and the built-in isolator will protect the starting battery from discharge, as the two batteries are isolated from each other.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489040

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:08
Probably should have posted this with earlier post but here is the Flyer with 50l Waeco alongside.

By rearranging have also been able to power an 18lite Waeco off the Flyer too. Unfortunately no photo.

Pedro
FollowupID: 764196

Reply By: Coldemon - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012 at 21:18
Thanks to all for the great info I think the flyer may be my answer
AnswerID: 489050

Sponsored Links