Am I dreamin... Bendethera in a kluger

Submitted: Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:02
ThreadID: 96434 Views:3254 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
About 8 years ago I headed into Bendethera in my lifted patrol via the Merricumbene Fire Trail and had always meant to head back there.

Only problem is now I have a Kluger with ATs so how would I go getting into Bendethra from the east via sugarloaf (from Moruya) with some experienced driving and a bit of thought?

Ive still got the tirfor if we get caught up (but I hate having to use it… acts as a good persuader to get the wheel placement right and to not underestimate the situation?)
Thanks for your help.

Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:19

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:19
I am interested in the replies. I have only ever been into Bendethera via Braidwood and it is tough going the last time i was there. I thought the Moruya way in was easy by what i have been told. Is there a third way in?? Its a beautiful place to relax when the weather is good but its a worry if it rains heavily the night before you plan to leave with all the rivers and steep roads surrounding it.. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489197

Follow Up By: bakers - Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:55

Friday, Jun 22, 2012 at 20:55
Hi Michael

I believe there are 3 common ways in, from the west off Badja rd, from the araluen rd via Merricumbene Fire Trail which was a great 4wd in, and from the east which I have been led to belive is much easier.

I think the challange though will be the final bit into the valley and of course the weather would need to be taken into acount. Ive had the cluger on some not so smooth steep fire roads and have been suprised by how capable it is as londg as you can keep the wheels on the ground.

As for swollen rivers and impossible climbs Id rather just carry extra food and have the excuse to spend a few extra days if I was to get caught in an unexpected downfall. Im not suggesting that if rain is forcaste I would contemplate going in there at all in the kluger.

Thanks

Bob
FollowupID: 764333

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:37

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 10:37
Good point. Watch the weather. But I think the Kluger may do it. Especially the last way from the east as mentioned above. I think it's via Bendethera Fire trail, Little Sugarloaf Road and other rad to Moruya. I have not been that way but have heard also that it is the easiest.

In the valley it was cloudless. You could hear a storm way off in the distance but couldn't see the clouds. But we decided to head home just in case. Half way to Dry Creek along the merricumbine Track we had overhead lightning and thunder with very heavy rain. Worrying about Dry Creek flooding we kept moving through the rain and hail. Extremely slippery down the last steep part to the crossing. Hail does not make good road cover. Luckily the water had not reached the crossing.

Cop this:
FollowupID: 764368

Follow Up By: bakers - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 15:17

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 15:17
Hi PJR

Good to see you got thhrough ok, I would of been cringing if I saw hail (at least the patrol I had was fitted with a full lenght RR)

I grew up in Bodalla and spent a bit of time out at Nerrigundah so know how quick the weather can turn.

Has anyone actually driven the road from Moruya to Bendethera?

Regards

Bob
FollowupID: 764391

Follow Up By: Inflataduck - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 22:17

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 22:17
Michael

In from Moruya is the quickest & easiest way the track is regularly checked & repaired, strange that it is also the direct route for the Nat parks office that looks after it as the office & compound are based at Narooma
The intersection at surgarloaf & merricumbine has also been made upgraded

Some tell me that if your at Braidwood its still quicker to go via hwy to Moruya & in, then going to snowball & in, I must say i like to go in via Moruya & out via snowball according to parks 78% of uses go in from mourya
regards
FollowupID: 764416

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 01:53

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 01:53
Bob

Little hail like that is nothing to worry about , but your roof rack would be of no use in the storms that Brisbane Valley get at times, with the strong winds the hail as big as tennis balls come in almost horizontal at a great rate of knots.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764421

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:39

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:39
I checked with my son who uses that way out to get back to Sydney and he agrees the Moruya way is a piece of cake.

The worst part about the hail was sliding down to the creek. Even with almost new muds on we slipped from one dish drain to another. And yes I do know how to drive them properly.

The boss doesn't want to do that again. I think in hindsight we should have waited it out.
FollowupID: 764422

Reply By: Member - Keith Berg - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:37

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:37
Bob,
Coming in from Sugarloaf, there are a few bits that are definitely low range in a Landcruiser. You might like to check with Toyota to see if they can tell you what the maximim climbing angle is for the Kluger.
My old RAV 4 Auto would only do 26 degrees when empty and much less when loaded with gear. I learned that the hard way.
Keith
AnswerID: 489238

Follow Up By: bakers - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:20

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:20
Hi Keith

Thanks for that. Might have to wait till I get back into a decent 4wd befor I head back there

Thanks

Bob
FollowupID: 764412

Follow Up By: Inflataduck - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:47

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 21:47
Bob I drive in to bendethra a lot & have seen many different models in there eg: Mazda tributes & holden adventures & a few klugers, a couple of weeks ago there was a 2wd hilux, 2 x trails & 2 Subaru's.

I have driven in & out with the Nissan murano to the first river crossing with no problems but I would not consider taking it thru the creeks & I would prefer to do it in my patrol & it was there to drag me out if I got stuck
The creek crossing will be the test the water has been high & the gravel river stones are soft & I have seen more boggings in both main crossing in the last few runs there then in the last 20 years. I've been driving in & out 3 times a week lately as friends are doing a study in there

If you go in with your kluger make sure that some one in your group has a vehicle & experience & equipment that can get you out DO NOT Rely on others

I have & would tow & help any real 4wd out if they needed it & I have all the way back to Moruya but a soft 4 wheeler I would tow them out of the way to keep the track open & give them a lift but I would not tow the vehicle out as they no there pushing the envelope & should not expect others to get them out which I see far to offen
good luck
FollowupID: 764413

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 22:23

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 22:23
First time I went in there about 25 years ago I was driving an LH Torana. Followed a friend driving a HQ Station wagon.
A lot easier now with the Patrol, but I still found that locking in was not needed. Have not been in the wet as this would be a totally different story.
FollowupID: 764419

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 09:13

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 09:13
Hi Bakers,

As said by many, the easiest way in/out is from Moruya. If your vehicle is heavily loaded, my only concern would be the steep pinches close to the valley. I would prefer to have low range so I could keep my wheels on the ground.
Rob

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
The outback calls

AnswerID: 489272

Sponsored Links