hema 5

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 17:56
ThreadID: 96449 Views:1478 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
gday
I just bought a hema 5 from ebay, i was wandering if any one can tell me what to look for to find out this is a ridgy didge one. the the raster map dvd dosent play and has a purple back like a copy dvd have, is this normal. Ther is no usb cable in the box and the people i bought it from are trying to tell me that there wasnt one in the box when they bought it, it clearly says in the manual that it comes with one in the box. All the signs arnt good but i need some more info, lucky i bought it with the plastic card
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:26

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:26
Hi Trev

Firstly it DOES come with a UBS and the DVD that you have is a copy. There should have been 2 DVD's in the box, the first will say in full colour and a picture of their silver Hema Patrol, "Australia 4WD Raster Map Collection 2010", while the second DVD will have their Route 66 Maps Australia. Also the unit itself will have their Hema Logo on it, as well as a Hema Navigator case to store the unit when not in use.

The only way that the UBS cable was not in the box, was if they purchased it Second Hand, or off of the back of a truck. The Hema DVD should auto load and ask you what you want to do, open and look at the maps or copy them to your computer.

Do not let them tell you anything different.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 489234

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:46

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 18:46
definately got the raster map dvd with the pik of patrol and also the route 66, Ive changed a few settings on the pc and got them both to run. I also have the leather pouch and all the other things that the manual says should be in there. Im upgrading the route66 maps now but off course i have no way of putting them onto the unit. How do i upgrade the the ozi explorer maps cause the one on it is 2010 do i do it at the hema website
Maybe i jumped the gun abit with the suspecting,

FollowupID: 764404

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 23:59

Saturday, Jun 23, 2012 at 23:59
Trev....Oziexplorer is software that provides a means of managing/using maps produced by others. The ones that come with HN5 are the Natmap 1:250000 and the full suite of Hema maps. If they are 2010 then little will have changed.
FollowupID: 764420

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:23

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:23
Hi Trev

Just like Patrol22 has posted, even though you have the 2010 set of Hema maps, I am yet to see any changes in the latest 2012 release.

I have upgraded from a HN5 to the new HN6 and the biggest difference apart from the screen size, is they have now axed the Route 66, which from many peoples perspectives and my own experience, was very basic and now introduced iGo, which is streets head.

I think that you will have to pay for the Route 66 upgrade, and my only advise is do not waste your money. For the cost of the map upgrade, you could go out and buy a basic Garmin Nuvi, cheaper with fare superior street use.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764436

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:44

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:44
I did the route66 upgrade at no cost, there are a few changes in streets etc as expected. I just bought a new usb cable from explore oz so i am waiting for that. when i plug the hema into the pc what should happen? I want to upgrade the ozi explorer maps, but as patrol22 says may not be worth it if there are little changes if $ are involved. Im not sure if this unit comes with the free upgrades as it was originaly bought in 2010.I have reg the unit on the hema web site and everthing is ok so i take my coment back about this unit maybe being dodgy.
cheers for your quik responses, dam this forum and the people on it are awsome.
FollowupID: 764442

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:44

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:44
Trev&Ness,

If everything else is OK then just go to Dick Smiths, JB HiFi, or similar shop and buy a standard USB cable. There is nothing special about one to suit the Hema.

This will enable you connect the unit to a PC or laptop to charge it, or from 240v with an adaptor, also available at any of the above shops.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 489278

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:36

Sunday, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:36
I found one in a box off goodies but wont let me start anything up but it will charge the unit . Ill wait and see what happens when i get the right cable from exploreoz. $4 cant go wrong.
FollowupID: 764449

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:42

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:42
I am a little perplexed when you say the cable "won't let you start anything up".
What do you expect to start up?

When the Hema is connected to a PC via the USB cable, it will display three images (from memory) to select the type of transfer mode you with to use, depending on whether the PC or laptop is running Windows XP, Windows 7-32 bit, or Windows 7-64 bit operating system.

There was a problem in some models of the Hema in recognising Windows 7-64 bit.
I had to send my unit back to Hema to upgrade the USB port.

Interfacing with a PC/laptop is only required to download updates from Hema, or interface with a full version of OziExplorer running on the PC/laptop to upload or download track data, etc.

The Hema doesn't start any other program up on the PC/laptop you connect to.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 764507

Sponsored Links