Snow driving

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:58
ThreadID: 96476 Views:1490 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there
I would like to go on a 2-3 days snow driving trip. (never done it in Australia)
Could anyone recommend a good route?
I believe that the Jamison - Licola rd is closed during winter unless one has a permit from FWDV.
I have a Prado with M/T muddies, will carry snow chains and Yes I do have lots of snow driving experience.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
JS.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:11

Monday, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:11
Yes that road has closed, to get a permit you have to be a member of an affiliated 4wd club, have good comms ( HF or Sat phone), 3 vehicles and 2 weeks notice.

If you are coming from Gippsland then the Howitt High Plains Rd will have snow soon, you can go up to Arbuckle Junction then down on the Marathon Rd. Much of these roads are above about 1300m and above 1400m around the Junction.

I am quite sure the Dargo High Plains Rd closes over winter ( it is not shown as seasonal on Hema maps). If it's still open that has a lot of travel over 1500m. Check first.
AnswerID: 489375

Follow Up By: member-PradoMad - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 05:07

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 05:07
Thank you Boobok
I expected a few more suggestions from readers but will check out the Gippsland area.
Coming from Sydney; I might contact the FWDV to see if they have any suggestions.
JS.
FollowupID: 764593

Sponsored Links