The Kimberley's for 2 weeks..

We are planning a trip out of Darwin to the KImberleys for two weeks ,in August this year.

Initially we thought we would just do east part of Kimberley's, but now thinking that we will do the GRR loop, maybe including the MItchell PLateau and Bungle BUngles.

Now the trip has potentially morphed into including Broome and Cape leveque. I'm thinking this will be lots and lots of driving , considering we will have young kids in the car, and we will miss out on just taking our time a little bit .

Is it really out of the realm to consider adding BRoome or better to try and restrict to the GRR loop?
Thoughts would be appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:44

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:44
G'day,

2 weeks from Darwin through The Kimberley and back would be a rush.

You'd probably need 2 weeks fro the Gibb River Road itself.

I reckon either have a look at The Bungle Bungles and then head down towards Broome through Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing until you have to head back, or have a look at The Bungle Bungles then head up to Kununurra and maybe go as far as El Questro. Something like that.

I hope this gives you a couple of ideas.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 489438

Follow Up By: Holiday Hound - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:12

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:12
Thanks for this
I think I'm heading for the GRR loop now and cutting out Broome- just too much to see.
I read about people doing the GRR in three days!!
Do you think three nights at el questro is a good time span?
FollowupID: 764631

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:33

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:33
On our trip we used the Ghan (car as well) to Darwin and the drove the rest. From Kununurra we drove to Broome on the bitumen seeing all the spots apart from the Bungles. Then saw the coast on a long cruise up the coast. After a side trip to Cape Leveque we drove and camped all the length of the GRR including the Mitchell Falls (chopper ride was 5 star) then down to camp at the Bungles. Followed by another Ghan run home.

All up 8 weeks.

And we still did not see it all!! Gotta go back.
FollowupID: 764633

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:24

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:24
Hi again,

I reckon wherever you go you'll have a good time.
My suggestion is to take your time and don't rush it.
It's better to enjoy the places you get to rather than try to see it all.
Play it by ear and talk to other tourists to work out what to do and where to go.

The Kimberley has been there a long time and it won't be going anywhere in a hurry. The worst part is when you back home you'll probably end up day dreaming about getting back there.

I'm 32 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes, 57 seconds away from my next big trip and I can't stop thinking of it.

Have a great time and I hope the whole family really enjoys it all.

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 764649

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:41

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:41
Hi Steve

41 days for us to the Simpson. Where are you off to?
FollowupID: 764651

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:57

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:57
Up through Boulia to Alice Springs, Gary Junction Rd to 80 Mile Beach and Broome, Cape Leveque, Gibb River Road, maybe Carson River Track or part of at least, up to Kununurra then back to Alice Springs.

Depending on what happens on the Carson Track we may, or may not, go down the Hay River Track then onto Birdsville, through Innamincka, Tibooburra and dribble back home and try to get used to civilisation again....

Travel safe and have fun,
Steve
FollowupID: 764652

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:21

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:21
I do not know how well the kids travel so if this is too far then you may want to add a stop over in Katherine for both ways. I know our grand children could handle it but they (to be biased) are good travellers.

First night in Kununurra. Then off to El Questro for two nights. Next a drive around the Cockburn Range on the Karunji Track with permission and map from El Questro. The track gives the best and most spectacular views of the Cockburn range and goes through the area that was used in the film Australia.

Then along the GRR through the Pentecost River crossing with a night at Home Valley. Next day drive to a nights stop over at Drysdale Station on the Mitchell Falls road and on the way along the GRR visiting Bendoola Falls, Durack River, Bradley Billabong and Ellenbrae. Next day drive to Mitchell Falls with a cuppa at the King Edward River crossing.Camp at Mitchell Falls for two nights with a walk to the falls (of course a swin as well) and a couple of other little walks. If possible hop a chopper ride to see the place from the air. It is a spectacular plateau.

I think that was a week. Time enough to drive home Mount Barnett Road house with a visit to Manning Gorge and the Barnett River Gorge, Wynham, two nights camp at the Bungle Bungles and one night at Katherine. Pick your own stops for the run home.

Need I say that you will have to go back. I think not - so I wont say it!!!!!

AnswerID: 489453

Follow Up By: Holiday Hound - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 14:10
Thanks PJR
Good ideas. This looks a bit like my GRR loop plan.
I think it will be the case of making a decision on doing an area well, or skimming thru..
FollowupID: 764630

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2012 at 18:32
After you mentioned the loop I posted a rough (vbery) plan of our last trip up there. But I put it in the wrong sub thread just up above this bit. If you read it you will see that we kind of did a loop as well.

Catchya
FollowupID: 764650

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 23:12

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 23:12
Hi Holiday Hound

We took three and a half weeks (taking it easy) Derby to Wyndham on the GRR including Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu. This included starting at Geikie Gorge then going to the GRR via Tunnle Creek and Windjana Gorge. There was a lot we didn't get to see. Purnululu was done later. I have blogs from 2008 in the My Blog section about what we saw and enjoyed.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489577

Sponsored Links