Current road conditions for Georgetown Qld via Forsayth and Einasleigh to The Ly

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 14:28
ThreadID: 96532 Views:5351 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Thinking of towing our van on this 'road' early next week instead of going via the sealed option of Gulf Developmental road past Undara to the junction of Kennedy Developmental road which we have driven in the past. We will be on our way to Charters Towers.

I am hoping someone who has driven this road recently can give me an idea of what to expect as we like to take new roads whenever possible and see some new country and places.Don't mind dirt roads, just want to know whether it is suitable for towing vans over.

thanks Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 14:30

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 14:30
Sorry,
the heading should read 'Lynd Junction'. Not sure why it did not all appear but perhaps it was too lengthy for a heading.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 489526

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:41

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:41
Not sure about right now, but we went down there last year, from Georgetown to the Lynd, towing our offroad van.. Enjoyable drive - something different and a bit quieter for sure - bush camped along the way in a roadside quarry area . Forsayth and Einesleigh quite interesting (the latter esp. - volcanic creek geology there) ....from Georgetown to Forsayth the road was being worked on by maintenance gangs - turning it into a gravel highway I guess (probably a mine nearby :-o). The road from the Lynd down to Hughenden was a bit rough and skinny in places, but that too was being worked on by gangs - the whole thing might be a superhighway by now. An onroad van would have been happy when we we there, but some places just need to be taken easy. A usual with all such roads, stones need to be controlled to protect the duco and the van.
AnswerID: 489537

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:49

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 16:49
thanks Darian,
Sounds like it will be a good drive for us then.

We will be taking the other road from the Lynd to Charters Towers and have driven that a few times.

Regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764714

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 17:43

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 17:43
Just had a look on Google Earth - I think the spot where we camped overnight is
at GPS 18°31'12.67"S - 143°32'34.93"E. As can be seen though, there are plenty of other cleared spots in the scrub at the roadsides. An abandoned road workers' clearing is often a great spot for a short overnighter :-o).... plenty of firewood there as I recall.
FollowupID: 764716

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 06:33

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 06:33
Hi Darian,

We may even go and have a look at Cobbold Gorge although the only way to really see that is by taking a 'tour'. I was speaking to friends who drove in there a few days ago and they said the road is good at this time..

Otherwise a bush camp sounds perfect and I am sure we will find somewhere. New road and country is always exciting to me. I am easily satisfied and enjoy the unplanned spots we find to stay so much.

Thanks for your information.

regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 764740

Follow Up By: Racey - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:55

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:55
Heather , Do go and see Cobold gorge. You will not regret it. Last year it became one of our Favorited places.

Cheers

Jon
FollowupID: 764743

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:26
Hi Darian and Jon,
We thoroughly enjoyed the drive...first hills since the second day of our trip back at the end of May,and quite a change from flat red land.

Thanks for your help. Have not had internet since leaving Cloncurry almost a week ago but we have arrived in Charters Towers, so apologies for taking this long to get back to you.
I did manage to read your comments when we stopped for lunch in Georgetown a couple of days ago.
Most of the dirt sections of the road were in very good shape...just a few short bits with corrugations and rough patches.

We found a great place to bush camp and enjoyed the solitude and quiet after spending the previous 4 days in a campground near Normanton which was 'generator city' between 7.30 am and 10 pm. Have never been keener to get out of a place...it was so noisy and busy...and there weren't any barra being caught!

regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765322

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 14:46

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 14:46
Heather Hi,
Towed my Jayco pop top through there (Georgetown to The Lynd) a couple of years ago.You should not have any problems.
I thoroughly enjoyed the drive, one of the best O/N camp-sites would have to be at the Einasleigh River crossing near "Carpentaria Downs".As others have said Cobolt George is really worth a look, camping is available there or Forsayth has a C.P.
Enjoy the trip.
Mike.
AnswerID: 489603

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:32

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:32
Hi Mike thanks for your information...yes a beautiful place and a lovely scenic route to take too.
We had a couple of nights bush camping, enjoying the solitude, and the road was in very good shape generally.

regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765324

Reply By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 18:43

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 18:43
Hi Heather
We tow a van to Einasleigh via The Lynd every Easter and this Easter road was great and we have never had a problem in the last 5 years.
As previous reply said, camp spot near Carpentaria Downs is exceptional, with a lovely stretch of fresh water and a great spot to drop the tinny in.
Road from Georgetown to Einasleigh is very scenic and part bitumen.
If time allows spend some time in Einasleigh and walk the Copperfield Gorge.
Check out the miniature room at the pub and even the old railway station and cemetery have a lot of history.
There is a van park as well with great amenities if you wish.
Phone Mark & Jennifer on 07 40625102.
They have a fire pit there which is welcome this time of the year, just need to supply own firewood, which is plentiful on road side in the area.
You can free camp down by the junction of Enasleigh and Copperfield Rivers about 1k down the Mount Surprise Rd, but not a lot of level ground and very rocky, but still a lovely spot.
I am sure you will have a great trip and as usual just drive to the conditions and everything will be fine.
Regards Ray (Townsville)
AnswerID: 489625

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:30

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:30
thanks Ray,

I read your comment when we were lunching in Georgetown buit did not get a chance to reply, have had no other internet signal for the past 6 days but now in Charters Towers.
...thanks so much for your information, it was very valuable to us.
Had a lovely two nights bush camping and enjoyed the drive. The road was generally in very good shape.
regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765323

Sponsored Links