Followon from an old thread - Clampton WA

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 15:19
ThreadID: 96533 Views:2532 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Old thread is here => http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/27498/clampton_western_australia.aspx

Unfortunately it is archived so cannot post into it.

Clampton was founded by four brothers Martin (my grandfather), George, Thomas and Arthur (though he was suspected of being a child born out of wedlock to one of their sisters he was treated as a brother). Surname was Clamp. They had farms near Mukinbidin.

It was found in the time of the Great Depression when, between seasons, many farmers would go prospecting or sandlewooding to supplement their income.

The four brothers were to stake their claim after finding traces of gold but two (George and Arthur) left in the night without telling the others and lodged the claim in only their names.

It did not pan out to much.

The prospects mentioned in the thread seem to be more Iron Ore related than gold (which the Yilgarn/Southern Cross area was originally noted for)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2012 at 22:06
By what I've seen of the Clampton mine site it was a big operation in its day, which would have been for gold. Its a big hole in the ground now with a large steel framed shaft tower off to the side of the open pit. It is on the northwest corner of Mt Jackson Station.

In the late 1800's it was planed to build a town just to the east of the now delapidated Mt Jackson Homestead.

The whole of Mt Jackson Station is now leased/owned by Cliffs Mining ( acquired it from the Truan family), they are ripping iron ore out of the Windarling and Mt Jackson Ranges. Last year they did an extensive drilling program all over the station. I was in the region about 2 weeks ago and all the drilling are gone. For a few years now they have had signs up all over the station advising that metal detecting is not allowed and they will prosocute anyone found detecting without their permission.
AnswerID: 489572

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:40

Thursday, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:40
Daniel,

You should have a look in this link http://www.woodworkforums.com/f119/bush-camping-west-australia-78170/ as you might find a relation.
AnswerID: 489584

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:12

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 10:12
Daniel,

Just curious if the relly means anything to you?
AnswerID: 490168

Follow Up By: Daniel R2 - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:49

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:49
That was my brother!

In any case the Clampton North mine (hole) was years later and was not the area prospected by the brothers - that is contained in the Clampton province (?) itself.

The family had been in the Southern Cross/Yilgarn area for a generation earlier with the way station on the main route Perth to Kalgoorlie run by my great grandmother (who had lost a foot to sepsis from a rabbit trap) and her seven daughters (tow of which married into the Clamp family).

The name of the way station escapes me at the moment - but there are some ruins still there and plaque commemorating them.

The Payne of Payne's Find was some relation through them as well.

(The other claim to fame for the Clamps in WA is first arrival (a forced export of "Mother England") was the father of the first European multiple birth in the settlement of Swan River (twins) to survive birth - or so the family lore goes)

FollowupID: 765419

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:21

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:21
Thanks for that Daniel
FollowupID: 765463

Sponsored Links