Waltzing Matilda...

Submitted: Friday, Jun 29, 2012 at 21:33
ThreadID: 96586 Views:2234 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Currently in WINTON: went to see the Waltzing Matilda museum/exhibit and Her Majesty was impressed ('moved', actually...) by the theatrics and the John Williamson rendition of "Waltzing Matilda"...
Anyone know what Album title that track is on..???
Lovely grassy rolling plains country up here, with that Mitchell Grass...
Weather has been miserable until we arrived here yesterday...
Excellent Day today... Pleasant evening here, outdoors...
Saw a Blue ?ute here in Winton with WWW.EXPLOROZ.COM emblazened on the rear window...
Off to Cloncurry in the morning... en-route Karumba... en-route Cooktown...
Might be home for Xmas...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John L (WA) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:46

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:46
Call into the Blue Heeler pub at Kynuna and stand in the bar where Walzing Matillda was first played in public!
AnswerID: 489729

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:22

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:22
Unfortunately that's no longer possible. Waltzing Matilda had its first public performance in the North Gregory Hotel in Winton in 1895. While the hotel is still there it's not the original, which was burnt down in 1900. The current hotel is the fourth incarnation and I believe that somewhere along the line the hotel moved from its original site.

The pub in Kynuna is unique, especially the lifeguard tower that was brought out for a tourism promo about 3 decades ago and was subsequently left there.
FollowupID: 764864

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:33

Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 at 15:33
Just found out from the Friday Funnies that the Swaggy in Waltzing Matilda was called Andy. Andy sat, Andy watched, Andy waited waited till his billy boiled etc.

I learn something new everyday.
AnswerID: 489767

Reply By: KevintheKK - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 19:08
Jedo,
A very good version of John Williamson singing W>M> is on the album 'Anthems' - it's a conventional studio version of W>M> most of the way through, and then it segues neatly into the crowd singing the chorus at a Bledisloe Cup match - I can't remember the year, but I think it was also John Eales' retirment match - we won the Bledisloe via a try in about the fourth minute of extra time when Totai Kefu (sp?) stuck his big paw out from under a maul under the posts to plant the ball on the line.
You know on album covers, under each track, they normally credit the backing musicians...? Well on the back of the 'Anthems' cover, under that track, it says something like ..... " Vocals: JW accompanied by 109,000 (ish) extras....". The Bride and I were there that night, so whenever we play Anthems while cruising along, when that track comes up we join in like good 'uns to cries of "We Were There....".
The rest of that album is excellent, particularly the song JW wrote for the funeral of Sir Don Bradman - not a dry eye in the house whenever that track comes up.
all the best,
Graham.
100 Series towing Kedron CP5 Compact

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490128

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:24

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:24
Hi Graham...
Sounds like that's exactly the one...
I'll be ordering online - and the album will be waiting for us when we get home around-about Xmas...
Thanks very much

FollowupID: 765465

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:54

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:54
Is this it. You can download the audio version from the link down the bottom.

Williamson led 100.000 voices in stadium Australia to sing the anthem at the Rugby Union "Bledisloe Cup" game.

FollowupID: 765466

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 22:08

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 22:08
Youtube version.

FollowupID: 765467

Sponsored Links