METAL DETECTORS

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 14:16
ThreadID: 9663 Views:2343 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys and Guyesses

I note in a previous posting that some of us have metal detectors. I too have one and spend a bit of time near the Turon River on the Sofala/Hill End Road. Have had some good times camping there and fossicking but have only found one small nugget. Intrested in who else has a detector, what success have you had and should we gauge the interest in some of us getting together for a fossicking/camping.social weekend. I am located in Sydney (Hills District)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:31

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 22:31
Spent most of my childhood camping over the bridge as you come into Sofala on the Turon there! Very kewl. Heaps of river pebbles and prickle weeds...

Always wanted to explore that cave on the big rock wall on other side of the river, but was only about 10 then! Dad wouldnt let me.

Also around Native Dog Creek I think that was near Oberon, and Hill End. The olds had a Kombi back then!

Dad never found much but flakes and a few SMALL things. We moved from a tree once down further, bloke turned up with one of them slush machines, yea he found heaps just where we had been.. :(

I priced a new Minelab detector, and nearly died at the price.

Got a second hand one off Ebay that packs into small suitcase, going to start taking it with me, but it does take 12 AA Batteries :( Not sure how long they will last.

I still have a good old book called The Jem Hunting Atlas, shows what is where around australia, but that was printed in late 70s would love a newer version but no luck finding one.
AnswerID: 42617

Reply By: Hatcher - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 08:39

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 08:39
Hi KiwiAngler,
We live in the Blue Mountains and have a metal detector and sadly haven't given it much use. Thought of joining a prospectors club with the veiw that I would get the benefits of 4WD'ing and prospecting rolled into one, but the only clubs I can find are based in Sydney (100 klms away!)
I would be interested if we could get some local formites together a trip.
AnswerID: 42642

Sponsored Links