Track from the Alice to Dalhousie

Submitted: Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 17:48
ThreadID: 96640 Views:1760 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
Just wondering if anyone has a recent report on the condition of the track from the Alice to Finke.
Also, which is the better option at the present time for getting to Dalhousie from Charlotte Waters ; via Mt.Dare or via Abminga ?
Thanks
Poitr
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BUSH CAMPER - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 18:53

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 18:53
We went thru there about 6 weeks ago with a 4.2 TD patrol pulling an off road caravan.
We went from Marree - Oonadatta - Mt Dare - Dalhousie - Finke - Chambers pillar - Alice on the old Ghuan line. We found it pretty good, but drive to the conditions.
Will depend on your vehical etc. There's sand, rocks and sections of very smooth road.
Someone else may have been there since then.
Hope this helps.
Hugh
AnswerID: 489978

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 19:43
I have just travelled Finke to Chambers Pillar, after having stayed at Kalgera and went to see the geographic centre of Australia.

Leaving Finke I was directged by way of a prominent red arrow on to the left hand track, which I followed for some 50km along a severely undulating road, soft sand etc. A few forays onto the right hand track revealed a heavily corrugated road, and I therefore assumed it was for Finke bound traffic.

Some 50km along this undulating track my wife commented that she had planned that we would be in Alice by evening, At the rate we were travelling I doubted we would be in Alice by Christmas. In the end I threw caution to the wind and took the corrugated right track.

It was only then that I realised I had been travelling along the Finke Desert Race track and we were now on the proper (but corrugated) main road. Our speed picked up and we made Chambers Pillar before nightfall. The Desert Race had been hald two weeks earlier. For me it was a monumental blonde moment, despite having grey hair.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 765251

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 19:35

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 19:35
G'day Poitr,

check out Saddhen's Blog, especially days 24 to 27 where he travelled from Odnadatta to Dalhousie Springs in his Suzuki 4wd.

I hope this helps some, it's only from a few weeks ago.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 489980

Follow Up By: poitr - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:02

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:02
Thanks Gents
Poitr
FollowupID: 765194

Sponsored Links