GRR conditon

Submitted: Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:18
ThreadID: 96645 Views:1956 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Read a recent thread with regard to speed on the GRR which tells me a few have recently returned so, I was wondering if any of those travellers have any word on the road conditions on the GRR at present?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:40

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:40
should be no problems fora Dirt Princess ...... we did it a few weeks ago with no problem ,the roughness a bit over stated .

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 489991

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:56

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:56
Ah, but it is now July Nick. In 2008 we were there for most of June and although there were rough stretches, graders were working and it was probably a good deal better than the other roads we went on that year. Apart from the first night at the Manning Gorge campground, the camp grounds were sparsely filled. We arrived in Kununurra very early in July. Then school holidays and the peak season crowds hit the GRR. A lot of traffic and much of it travelling too fast soon undoes the good work of the graders. A week or two later we met someone who said it was the worst road he had ever been on. Getting a place in campgrounds was not so easy.

Take it easy Dirt Princess and you will enjoy the drive; it still will be far from the worst road in Australia, and is the very best of all out trips. Enjoy

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 765163

Reply By: stuart77 - Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Jul 02, 2012 at 22:45
Yes done it a couple of weeks ago, no problems, little bit rough both sides Mt Barnett, otherwise a easy trip.
AnswerID: 489992

Reply By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:50

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:50
Came off it yesterday, but have only travelled from Great Northern Hgway to Home Valley Station and return.
It is sealed for about 60% from highway to El Questro, but from EQ to HVS the corrugations are not to bad if you can get tyre pressure and speed to work for you, if you can't then the corrugations are bad.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490032

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:56

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 14:56
Saw two accidents whilst we were driving the GRR a couple weeks ago, one was serious. We did an average speed around 80 and whilst we could have gone quicker, I wouldn't have enjoyed the drive as much. Graders were going through at the time so that should give you a guide. Lots of traffic towards the end of our trip, they were coming from Derby side. Large convoy.

Hope you have a great trip and love the journey as much as we always do.

AnswerID: 490115

Reply By: Muntoo - Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 23:07

Wednesday, Jul 04, 2012 at 23:07
Did a quick trip down the Gibb leaving Wyndham Sunday and arriving Broome yesterday, and its in top condition. Immaculate i would say. Some places i was SAFELY sitting on 95km/hr. Mostly 80km/hr, but LOTS and LOTS of traffic.

LOTS and LOTS of people with no idea also. I honestly mean NO IDEA. This trip really opened up my eyes as to why there are 3 tow truck companies here in Broome, and nearly everyday all 3(5 trucks) of them are carrying damaged vehicles.

AnswerID: 490142

Reply By: Member - Dirt Princess - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:01

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:01
Thanks to all for replies. Only now I'm a little worried about the traffic so I thinks me be sayin' a few prayers along the way. See you on the road
AnswerID: 490151

Sponsored Links