trip suggestions

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:18
ThreadID: 96793 Views:1918 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have 3 weeks leave in Aug/Sept. I am thinking of a trip to Cameron's Corner, Innaminka area but not sure what is possible in 3 weeks. We are travelling from SW Vic,2 kids 6 &10 and a tent. Driving prado, with moderate 4wd experience. Any recommendations about what is feasible, we'll do some long days to get to/from Vic.
Thanks, Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gary C3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:04
We are leaveing Sydney on 18th Aug with 4 weeks and intend going to Alicce via the corner country then back across the Oodnadatta track though we will be driveing fairly constantly we should do it fairly comfortably
AnswerID: 490601

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:06
Hi . It depends if you are used to driving and if the kids are used to sitting in a vehicle travelling without stopping every 50 odd kms. In 03 we did nearly 8500 kms to the tip and back , driving 15 days out of 22 days with a 10 year old on board . He was my partners grandson . The only thing he wanted for a start was to play on a game boy. After 2 days I told him he had to look at the scenery as I did not take him on the trip to play a gameboy . He enjoyed the scenery and the trip after that . If you decide to go check out Milparinka and the cemetery , glance at the racecourse , go to Pooles Grave , Mt Sturt , Tibooburra is worth looking at . Camerons Corner is interesting also . Fuel will be dear at Innamincka but if you need fuel you just have to pay . There is plenty of interesting and historical sites to see on the trip . If you go enjoy the trip . Vern
AnswerID: 490602

Reply By: Member - Keith B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:14
Tim,
I did the following trip a few years ago - no kids but found it easy enough although we had to compromise on seeing some of the better sights. We went for three weeks.
Have fun no matter where you end up going.
Keith

Swan Hill
Wyperfeld NP
Murray Sunset NP
Danggali
Yunta
Flinders
Gammon Ranges/Arkaroola
Moolawatana
Mt Hopeless
Strzelecki track to Innamincka
Nappa Merrie / Dig Tree (could back track to Cameron Corner from here)
Orientos
Santos
Sturt NP (Olive Downs)
Tibooburra
Milparinka
Track that follows the NSW SA border to Silverton
Broken Hill
Kinchega NP
Pooncarie
Mildura
Swan Hill
AnswerID: 490603

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:14
2 years ago we left Brisbane and went through Cameron Corner to Lake Eyre, onto Ayres Rock and then Alice Springs, through Finke Gorge to Chambers Pillar and down the Old Ghan Line to Mt Dare. from there we crossed The Simpson Desert and headed home to Brisbane. all done in 3 weeks with 2 kids a couple of years younger then yours are and camping in a tent.
yes the trip was a bit rushed but we don't care, we saw some spectatcular country and have memories to last a lifetime. last year we took 5 weeks and went from Brisbane to Darwin and back again, slightly rushed trip once again but atleast we are seeing plenty of Australia along the way.
here's the trip report i did from that 3 week trip 2 years back http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=98425
maybe don't expect to travel the distance we did on your trip, but all i'm saying is you'd be surprised at just how much you can see if you wanted to in 3 weeks
AnswerID: 490604

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 22:55

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 22:55
Hi Tim,
We're tenters and we did a 3 week trip a few years ago from Melbourne. We tend to stay at least 3 days in a place so our trip was 3 nights on the Lachlan out of Lake Cargelligo, then up to Louth for 3 nights (and old times sake). On through Wanaaring to Tibooburra where we stayed in the two storey for 2 nights. Then on to Innamincka via Camerons Corner for 6 nights. Back through Nappa Merrie and the Dig Tree down to Packsaddle for the night. Then home.
You'll do it easy in 3 weeks. Have a great time.
Lou
AnswerID: 490617

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 23:28

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 23:28
here.We did that trip last July from Adelaide.

To give you an indication of an itinery we did:
Day 1 Adelaide to Appalina Springs 270km (Didn't set off till about lunch time)
Day 2 Appalina Springs to Lyndhurst 335km (stopped at Lydnhurst because the Strezleki track was shut by rain)
Day 3 Lyndhurst to Montecollina Bore 220 km
Day 4 Montecollina Bore to Cullyamurra Waterhole (On Cooper Creek Near Innaminka) 270km
Day 5 to 7 Exploring around Cooper Creek, out to the Dig tree and just resting. Didn't see everything and could have spent another day or two.
Day 8 Cullyamurra Waterhole to Fort Grey Campground in Sturt NP (Via Cameron Corner) 320km
Day 9 Exploring Sturt NP could have spent at least one more day.
Day 10 Fort Grey to Broken Hill 450km
Day 11 Broken Hill to Adelaide 535km

We didn't have kids with us but travelled with friends who had their 13 year old son with them. We had a 90 series Prado and a tent. Our friends had a Patrol and a Jayco Camper Trailer. We didn't need to use 4wd at all. The Strezlecki Track is almost like a paved highway. The road between Innaminka and Cameron Corner had some substantial potholes over the crests of hills. When we did the trip the road through the Sturt National Park was badly corrugated. The 4wd track through the park was actually in much better condition.

Still have to write up a blog about the trip, but my photos from the trip are here.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490620

Reply By: getmethehelloutahere - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:32
Thanks all for the info. Sounds like there are many itineraries possible, just need to choose one to fit the time frame. In 2010 we did 5 months on the road with the kids, 20k+ km, Cape York, Kimberley etc, and the kids still talk fondly of the trip.
AnswerID: 490632

Sponsored Links