Free Camping HOG !!

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 16:25
ThreadID: 96827 Views:3550 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Folks

It is Grey Nomad and school holiday time in the Pilbara and some people simply take advantage of "Free Camping" in the East Pilbara.

Newman ~ has two reasonable caravan parks, obviously fees apply for the duration of your stay.

The Newman Visitor Centre has a toilet dump point if you are sick of carting your toilet waste around with you and if you spend a few bucks on tourist "stuff" at the NVC and pay a piddley $10 you can even park your motor home up for the night, all you need to be is self sufficient, as all motor homes are.
Image Could Not Be Found

This motor home rolled in and parked up no more than 25 metres from my driveway at around 16:30 and stayed the night leaving at 08:00 this morning.

I am all for free camping ~ out in the bush ~ not inside a towns boundaries and not when there are venues available for over night stays.

Its little wonder the "free campers and the Shire Ranger" end up having a verbal altercation at times.

Image Could Not Be Found

Safe travels :
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 16:39

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 16:39
Fair Go Joe!! It looks like you live in the boonies, not too many houses around you!! Maybe you would prefer houses across the road instead of a motor home for one single night.. They would be welcome across the road from me if a vacant block of land was available. In fact I might even go over and say Gday, because i like meeting others who like to travel our great country, just like me!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490734

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 16:49

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 16:49
I,m with you mate. Looked like they were fully self contained. Pretty sparse housing by the looks and who knows why they stayed there. One should never assume.

Joe, if it had of been me mate I would have probably wandered over and seen in they wanted a cuppa. Met some bloody great people by being hospitable.
cheers
FollowupID: 766115

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:07

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:07
Hello all
I must admit that iv pulled up in a suburban street and slept in the back of the ute,I don't make any noise, and the thing is my ute is registerd so it is aloud by law to stand on the street over night. happy camping bill,
FollowupID: 766119

Follow Up By: dazren - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:18

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:18
I 'm with you guys ?? just somewhere to sleep overnight, no harm done, Personally I would have done the same thing, But maybe pulled up a liitle past his driveway, Some people do abuse the freecamp thingy ?? But this one would be on the bottom end of the scale, Live and Let Live ! Eh !!
FollowupID: 766120

Follow Up By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:58

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:58
Just Think of the future you will be a gray nomad too. Barnray
FollowupID: 766129

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:35

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:35
One town we were in when on the road we were looking at the free camp area provided by the council and it looked pretty dodgy, no lights, lots of places for low lifes to hide in the shadows. We were thinking we should find some where else to sleep. A guy comes wandering over and "your not going to stay there are you?". I said "nah just getting a bit late and looking for somewhere to camp". He replies "heaps of room on my front nature strip. The locals know not to come near my place so it's safe.
We camped there the night and had a great chat with him. He gave us the heads up on some great places to see. This was in the main town as well.
Some people do abuse the right to free camp.
Joe, did you check if they were ok. Maybe they needed to pull over for a reason.

Josh

FollowupID: 766144

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:53

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:53
Yeah, sounds good in principle, nothing wrong with being friendly, after all it’s the Aussie way. Problem is you’d run the risk of being known as a friendly place to camp overnight, no hassles, friendly locals who come over for a cuppa…

Before you can blink you’ll end up on the ‘freebie’ circuit, and you’ll be drinking tea all night because there’ll be 5 RVs, 3 Winnebagos, and half a dozen of the dreaded ‘wicked’ vans right on your doorstep.

Is this what we want for the people who live in these communities?

FollowupID: 766149

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:49

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:49
I've slept in many a pub carpark
AnswerID: 490740

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 18:32

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 18:32
Yep, guilty. Does that make me a freecamper, or just a boozehound?
FollowupID: 766133

Follow Up By: the redbacks - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 18:45

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 18:45
Perhaps they just felt they need a little security ??

redback
FollowupID: 766136

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:26

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:26
Joe, he probably wanted to pull up in a good neighbourhood and saw your place then decided he had arrived.

I always rock up and ask where they had come from and where they are headed. That always gets the ball rolling.

You never know, you may have gotten on so well that you might have invited them over for a few drinks and a chat after tea mate.
You might have missed the oportunity to make some new friends there.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490747

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:42

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 19:42
Agree with you Joe. You'd think considering the size of the Pilbara that they could have found a spot just a little out of town. If they are that insecure they needed to park so close then possibly they should travel in a group or stay at a van park. You summed it up well.
"I am all for free camping ~ out in the bush ~ not inside a towns boundaries"
Cheers Craig....
AnswerID: 490749

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 21:42

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 21:42
Lighten up Joe – you’ll give WA a bad name
AnswerID: 490763

Reply By: Dreadnought - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 21:57

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 21:57
I'm with you Joe.......Some of these Nomads think nothing of sleeping anywhere just to save a few miserable dollars. If money is that tight that they feel the need to have to park in suburbia to sleep rather than pay a few lousy bucks for a powered site.........or spend the fuel money and drive a few clicks out of town.....God help them. And as for going out and offering them a cuppa........well, let's just say I think we've all seen what happens when you're eating fish and chips somewhere and someone throws ONE seagull a chip.................
AnswerID: 490765

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:15

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:15
A few bucks for a powered site?. If camping in town I struggle to get somewhere for a swag for under $30. Let alone a powered site.

FollowupID: 766174

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:19

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:19
Especially in WA.....2009 a few square metres in the Big 4 @ Exmouth.... one 9x9 centrepole tent, 1 ute, 2 adults and no power..... $48 for the night. And, the ground was so bloody hard I had to get the high tensile pegs out to boot LOL
FollowupID: 766175

Reply By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:16

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:16
Bloody hell...now I understand why the pollies can't get agreement on the way to deal with asylum seekers.......if we can't get agree that is might be OK for someone to park on a bit of common is a small town....then what the hope of getting resolutions to the bigger issues? FWIW....I too think he could've moved just a little further from you driveway though :-)
AnswerID: 490768

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:03

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:03
G'day Everyone

It seems as if I have upset a few people by my post on the "Free Camping HOG".
The truth is I never actually saw the bloke or the woman step out side the motor home, not even when the vehicle was cranked up before they departed their camp, I guess it is walk through unit, but the cat that was under the vehicle came over and took a dump in amongst the front yard wild flowers ~ I suppose I should be grateful for that !!

My point in posting the story is purely to highlight the fact that some people couldn't give a sh#t about doing the right thing as in fact these happy campers are breaking the law.

Just like this bloke who was saving a few bucks by doing an oil change
FollowupID: 766179

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:36

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:36
Bummer I forgot to up load the image.Image Could Not Be Found

No doubt there are two schools of thought on this also, that there is plenty of the Pilbara and one bloke doing a bit of maintenance in the bush won't hurt anything.

You be the judge.

I happen to live in the Pilbara and in the town called Newman, because I want to, I actually don't mind the town but I am passionate about the untouched Pilbara.

I travel extensively and I free camp almost all of the time ~ in the bush.
But if there is a caravan park I will camp there.

I do all of my own vehicle maintenance and servicing at home, but I dispose of the waste oil in the waste oil tank at the local tip, after all I am a rate payer.

Safe travels
AnswerID: 490773

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:11

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:11
Yeah Joe I agree here....I actually saw someone doing an oil change in one of the gravel pits just off the road on Cape York a couple of years back.....he just pulled the sump plug and let the oil drain on the ground. I got a mouthfull when I said that I didn't think what he was doing appropriate in the bush........but hey not everyone cares eh?
FollowupID: 766191

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:59

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:59
Hi Joe,

From the photo its not possible to know if they are collecting the oil - maybe they are?

If the need arises we do our own oil changes under similar circumstances BUT always collect the old oil, put it back in the empty oil container for later disposal at a tip. When we leave any and every campsite you would not know that anyone had been there except for wheel tracks). Its not hard to do!

Question for many small towns though - are the tips/recycling facilities well signposted, or even open for public access. Sometimes when in an unfamiliar town its hard to find these facilities.

No excuse for running oil out on the ground though.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 766196

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:17

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:17
G'day Val ~ John

Sadly the "Bush Mechanic" was well off into the bush, the vehicle still had the caravan hooked up ~ the front wheels of the vehicle were up on stacks of flat rocks to give the oil a chance to drain out.

If the "Bush Mechanic" was doing the right thing and recovering the used engine oil one can only think he would have done the oil change back where the tyre marks originated from and that just happened to be at the 24 hour parking "Free Camping" area at the base of Mount Robinson on the highway north of Newman.

Things like finding piles of discarded truck (semi trailer) tyres dumped at the back of a highway parking bay all started by one person seeing no problem in dumping the first tyre there and the next bugger coming along and dumping a few more, possibly thinking it is an accepted thing to do, then it becomes the pox that it is across Australia.

Patrol22 ~ Luckily just getting verbally abused by some "rat" when they are sprung red handed bending the rules isn't a bad outcome.

Safe travels:
FollowupID: 766203

Sponsored Links