Bridle Track News

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 20:56
ThreadID: 96937 Views:2760 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Heard today that Bathurst Council were looking at the possibility of re-opening the Bridle Track. This was via local radio station while I was around Mudgee so it could have some reliability, I thought the Bathurst council meeting was due either today or tomorrow.

I will check it out and advise as soon as the position is known, no doubt Pete will be on this like a flash also. I hope it is good news.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 21:07

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 21:07
Good news Paul, it about time too. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491168

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 21:17

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 21:17
Michael

Yep it sure would be, I was a bit hesitant about putting it up without confirmation but it seems pretty reliable. Clearing the road shouldn't be too difficult, I guess they are worried about all the what if's. This would be just the sort of thing to kick things off again at Hill End again as things didn't look too good last time we were out there.

Gee I hope I don't screw up on this one - I'll be right onto this in the morning.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766607

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 21:46
Hi Paul, Yes i have been going there since i got my licence in 1974. Funny thing is if the road had collapsed in 1880, a handful of real men would have repaired it with pick and shovel in a few weeks. Thing is someone needs the will to do it, otherwise all you will get is excuses why it cant happen. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 766609

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 14:21

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 14:21
Paul, don't worry about making a blue, the bloke who never made a mistake never did a tap of work.

Michael, I first went there in 63, I was 17, we used to camp on what is now known as Black Gate Flat. We used to call it Bruinbun as that was the name of the property. Still is I think.
There was nothing there then but an open flat down by the river. We used to shoot sugar bags full of rabits on the property on the other side of the river then. It was part of Journeys End and was owned by Peter Merton in those days.

Peter still owned it in the early Eighties as well I think. Lost touch after all these years.

The blokes that built that road over Monaghans Bluff were probably in chains. You would need a similar system to get blokes on picks and shovels these days I would think. LOL.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766718

Reply By: Member - Angus E (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 23:14

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 23:14
Fiona & Paul,

Don't get your hopes up. The bathurst regional council meeting is tomorrow night and there is a report to the councillors on the road in the council papers - which can be downloaded from council web page.

There is no proposal for repair and it is not in the Council budget for 2012/2013. I am told there is a detour through the river to get around the rockslide however have not been out lately to see what is in place.

Perhaps the federal or state governments can chip in some $$ for the work?

Angus
AnswerID: 491177

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:08

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:08
G'day Angus & all

Well it seems I have jumped the gun again, I has just got off the phone to the counciil and the answer was "No, not in the immediate future. It is more than just moving a rock off the road, the whole side of the mountain has collapsed".

Now we have seen the photographs and I have been there (3 months ago ... so) and there was no side of the mountain collapsed, so more political mumbo jumbo.

So it's off to see Pete for a local EO conference and we will see what we can check out, and, I will get some detailed photographs. I feel sure the answer I got was a first stage responder effort, so we will have to move up a rung or two on the ladder for more discussion.

Regards & apologies for jumping the gun again!
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766624

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:43

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:43
It is actually the 'Bridle Track' as in a path for horses, not a route for girls getting married. LOL

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 491190

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:37

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:37
Allan

I stand corrected, I knew there was something that didn't look right but too many hours at the keyboard gave me a false sense of security.

However as I delve into promotion & marketing areas on several websites and there has been remarkable technical feedback for me, and it is all happening on this site. So by making a fundamental error initially, not too serious, I have gained great insight into my project. David is doing a great job here, especially with the way advertising is managed, just brilliant.

I only discovered this extremely unlikely connection phenom (turned the spell checker off) since I followed-up your response. So when we meet face to face I certainly owe you a schooner or two.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766646

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 13:48

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 13:48
It would be great to share a schooner with you and the Brides (LOL) Paul.

Actually, looking at your gallery photos, it's surprising that we have not yet met.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 766650

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:31

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:31
There you go Allan I sent a request to the Modsquad team and the error has been corrected, and, it looks like I can spell once again. Thanks Mods!

We just completed six weeks up to the Daintree, Normanton, Agate Creek and back down through the gem trails via Cloncurry, Winton and Quilpie yet again. I'll have to put a sign on our van, which will also be helpful for me in finding where I live when we are in big CP's.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766698

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 07:44

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 07:44
It's a hairy bit of track around that bluff. I wouldn't like to be up there if another slip occurred. It was originally built for horses and then big heavy 4wd's were lumbering along it in increasing numbers. There has to be an effect from the vibration. Too much traffic for the state of the road and there would be legal issues for the council. And then there are the idiots who pull a van through it despite the warnings....I've seen them. Remember, we live in a nanny state.
AnswerID: 491226

Sponsored Links