Mud Terrain Tyres advice

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:29
ThreadID: 96960 Views:3543 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

G'day all, I know this may have been done to death, but I have read the archives ....

I'm looking for recommendation for tyres for a navara, basically I'm either highway or quite serious mud, more serious than I thought and last weekend resulted in needing a recovery... so time to act with tax dollars.

I'm currently running wrangler AT silent armours, which are o on soft off road but I clearly need to ugrade to mud terrain.

Looking for something that is good wearing on highway, not too noisy, and good on mud, NEVER go on sand.

I'm considering BFG, but with all new brands appearing thought worth asking if anything else good on market.

I'm not hard on them off road, mainly soft trails with mud n the odd stick.

Just dont wanna buy something that disappears on the mon to fri running.

thought about 2 sets but just too much hassle swapping for me, be great if you were a tyre fitter n do at work for free, I'm not.

current sizes are 235/75R15

Any suggestions?

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron173 - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:44

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:44
I think I'm down to a decision between BF Goodrich MT KM2 at $295

or Maxxis Bighorn MT at $229

Anyone chime in if they reckon the goodies worth the extra?

big horns get excelent write ups
AnswerID: 491234

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:02

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:02
Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib around $320 for 265/75X16 LT

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/index.php?page=ATZ-4-rib
FollowupID: 766705

Follow Up By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:07

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:07
Hi Ron,

I don't have personal experience with either of them but with that kind of price difference I would give the big horns a run.

Have you thought about using 2 sets of rims?

I'm not sure any muddies perform well on bitumen.

Cheers
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766706

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:29

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:29
The ATZ are not a Muddie and some muddies like the Bighorns and BFGs do go well on the road.
FollowupID: 766711

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 22:20

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 22:20
Ron I'm " chiming in" ......I'v got mickys on cruiser & maxxis on my triton and the maxxis hig horns are wearing a lot quicker , but i'm happy with the toughness of them . It would depend on the difference in price .

I would expect to get about 100,000 ks out of the big brand tyres , 65,000 so far
BIG horns 30,000 at most and are half gone .

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 766750

Follow Up By: Sea-Dog - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:09

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:09
How are the Mickey's going?

I have got some BFG muddies on my 80 series and they have been on there since early 2005 and have got 110,000km so far with 7mm of tread left...

I was thinking that later this year I might be going for something different and though the MT might be the go but I am really going to need some convincing to go any way other than the BFG after the run on these tyres.
FollowupID: 766763

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:21

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:21
1st up ..garrycol why arnt mtz " muddies " !!!! much the same if not more aggressive than big horns !!!! 40 % road 60 % dirt & mud !!!!

Sea-Dog : 110,000km out of your bfg why would you change ?

I dont think it maters that much , but I do think it pays to buy the better brands . generally are a better tyre some people .

my mickeys are fine been on since 09 65,000 ks not one flat , just got home from W.A kimberleys 12,000 ks ...plus a lot is off road stuff .....

but I would not try to change you over , its much like the holden v ford think ....

cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 766811

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:27

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:27
Hi Ron,

I recently have been through a similar process and ended up with BFG MT KM2s - and happy with them - on road nice and quiet, with expected high mileage and offroad very good.

I also looked at Toyo MTs - again very good and have very strong sidewalls. Mickey Thompson MTZ are also in the same class as the Toyos and BFGs - all are close to being the same price.

For a cheaper but also good tyre look at teh Maxxis MT range - I have not used them but reports are that they are good for the price and I am looking at them for my other car.
AnswerID: 491235

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:28

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:28
Just some thoughts Ron from someone who has just driven home on a set of Cooper S/T Maxx in 265/75/16.

I drove down to the tyre place on a set of near new 305/70/16 ATZ Mickeys
which are slightly quieter than new Coopers but Coopers are ok.

My mate just last week for his Navara also got Copper ST Maxx in 265/70/17

Now these tyres are a pretty good Compromise with the deepset treads and a little larger in diameter than most in the same sizes, and you certainly get the rubber you pay for.

I also have a set of BFG AT , Bighorns , and 693s so between the 5 sets of wheels and tyres I get a pretty good idea of their relative performance.

The Bighorns are the noisest by the way , and basically I felt the Coopers were close enough to an all out muddie with enough on road manners.

The BFG AT are quieter though and softer.

693's are road tyres

Ten years ago I hated Cooper ST - but the new Maxx versions are looking good.

I'm on a rescue mission to get a yacht from Marree this weekend so full test hasn't been done just yet

P.S. Check that you are getting the same type tyres - my Bighorns are only 8 ply whereas ST Maxx are 10 ply.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 491236

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 13:49

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 13:49
"5 sets of wheels Robin?? He'll, you must have a dilemma each morning on which to wear! LOL.

Good to see you endorse the Cooper ST Maxx. I plan to replace my S/T's shortly with the ST Maxx and looking forward to the increased strength and tread.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 766716

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 17:54

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 17:54
Hi Robin.

Been a while, good to hear from you, hoping the mods have calmed down a bit on here, not been on for ages cos you couldnt say boo n it was modded, hopefully things have improved..:)

Prob go the BFG MT, wont buy coopers on principle, they advertise the bejesus out of them on my local TV, yet they wont honour the warranty if you live rural, capital cities only... not wearing that.

Prob buy the winch first (see my other post:) ) then i can run these wranglers a bit more before i buy the BFG's
FollowupID: 766736

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:21

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:21
Hi Ron

We run BFG all terrains on most of our vehicles for farm and road. Earlier this year due to a supply problem we fitted a pair of mud terrains - probably quieter on road than the all terrains.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491245

Follow Up By: Member - John M (NSW) - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:18

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:18
Hi Ron
I have run 3 sets of Cooper ST's on my 2 vehicles. The second set on the 100 series were the noisest and worst wearing tyres I have ever seen. You could not drive the vehicle with the windows down and could hear the vehicle coming a kilometre away at only 25000 kms.
Cooper would not warrant the tyres anfter many complaints. Took them off and threw them away at the Cooper Warehouse with a big sign.
Fitted Procomp 315/75R All Terrains to both vehicles ans what a difference in ride and noise (none). So far so good and reasonable price. Not muddies, but good all round tyres.
Would never buy Coopers again because of no support on a bad product.
Good luck with your decision in the minefield out there.
Contact Jason at Total 4wd Care Sevel Hills Sydney for good price and service. No affiliation but very happy with great service.
Regards John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766755

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:27

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:27
totaly agree.
if coopers would spend less on advertising, they would have the same respect of all 4wders who are in the know.
(wanker factor)

BFG ALL THE WAY. tried and tested, they dont advertise their product, as they dont need too.

never ever will i buy coopers, their ads drive me mad, youve just seen people who bought their stuff on here, and wont back their waranty up, which is what they ADVERTISE DAY NIGHT, ARVO MORNING EVENING DAWN DUSK.

mates got the maxxis gear, cheap, grips superb but no good on a vehicle with power, wont get many km's out of them.

BFG MUDDIES ALL THE WAY.
AnswerID: 491338

Reply By: Ron173 - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:05

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:05
Thanks for all replies n feedback, great as usual, nice to see forum back the way it used to be.

Will DEFO go the BFG muddies, best price so far is $295 at Bob Janes

AnswerID: 491470

Sponsored Links