online map for travelling

Hi all

Leaving on round Australia trip in January 2013

in the planning now
question, Is there an online map of oz I can be using for the purpose of tracking my trip where I'm going where I've been etc... etc'' of if any software is available

thanks Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 00:15

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 00:15
wemont : if you are a member here OE trackme ..on this site have a search ....

or you could try spot trackme .... search that too ...

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491344

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 06:52

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 06:52
For planning trips and legs the site here is good.

Otherwise Google Maps but they don't provide good coverage of bush roads, tracks and features.

There's no substitute for a good paper map. Take a look at the Hema Touring atlas and/or regional maps.
AnswerID: 491348

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 06:59

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 06:59
If you want to do it manually Google Maps can be used, but I haven't used it.

Another option is to use a blog which charts your trip, Travelpod

As has been said, if you have a Spot GPS tracker there are a few sites such as EO tracker that can be used. This is my Tassie trip Rods Tassie trip on Spotwalla.
AnswerID: 491349

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 08:09

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 08:09
Mick,

We find OziExplorer a great companion to travel with. It is useful in planning a route and keeps a track file as you travel, and it NEVER talks at you! Requires a computer, either windows based with a plug-in gps, or an android tablet with an inbuilt hardware gps. It's not the on-line solution you're thinking of, but being fully self contained is not reliant on network connections that can be pretty erratic away from population centres.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491354

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 09:29

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 09:29
OziExplorer is the best for around Australia travel with its moving map display showing where you are presently, plus the ability to record your track, waypoints, etc. for future reference.

The best unit to buy is the Hema Navigator with its preloaded maps and OziExplorer software ready to run, straight out of the box.
The HN5i (5" model) is still available and comes with the Navmap range of Australia maps, as well as the Hema maps. The Navmap maps is all I tend to use with very good detail and I rarely load up the Hema ones.
The HN6 (6" model) is the current release, however it only comes with the Hema maps and the Natmap series would need to be purchased and installed.

Both units include iGO voice guided street navigation, however you cannot run both iGO and OziExplorer at the same time.

If you purchase a PC version of OziExplorer (and of course have the same maps) you can pre-plan your trip and upload the routes to the Hema and download completed tracks you have already driven and recorded, to view on the PC.

A trial version can be downloaded from the OziExplorer web site and if you subsequently purchase a full version, all you need is to enter the registration details to fully activate it.

OziExplorer

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491357

Sponsored Links