Singleton/ Gloucester Road

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 14:02
ThreadID: 97015 Views:5447 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi im after some information regarding the Singleton to Gloucester road, i come from Adelaide and will be towing a 23ft van around 3.5 ton tow vehicle is a Ford F 250,could anybody let me know what the road is like,im going this way as i will be coming from the Dubbo Zoo i would like to go to the Barrington Tops.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:06

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:06
Humpback

Semi trailers use that road and you should have no problems at all, unless F250s have lost power!

I have cycled on parts of it and it was fine. Also, I will be going through there myself in October. I intend to go up the Thunderbolt Way to Uralla from Gloucester.

Enjoy the area.

DW
AnswerID: 491412

Follow Up By: Gado - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:49

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:49
Just to be clear, the Thunderbolts Way from Gloucester to Uralla is not the same road. I think Humpback is asking about the gravel road from Scone to Gloucestor across Barrington Tops.

Sorry I don't have recent experience of the Barrington Tops road but it used to be quite hilly, narrow and winding in spots. Not a road to hurry on.

I travel Thunderbolts Way regularly, it is all bitumen, a bit rough in places but has a very long steep climb (descent going east). He would have to turn off NE Hwy at Bendemeer (north of Tamworth) and go through Walcha to get to Gloucester this way.

FollowupID: 766881

Follow Up By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:59

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:59
Gado

Humpback did ask about Singleton, not Scone, to Gloucester.

The road from Scone, however, is a fair bit of gravel to Ellerston then to Barrington Tops.

I have not been to the Tops. Have been from Ellerston to Nundle and I would not recommend that with a caravan but off road ones would be ok. One can only assume the road to Barrington Tops would be the same, steep and windy.

DW
FollowupID: 766883

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 16:05

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 16:05
I am assuming humpback means to go Singleton, Gresford, Martins Creek, Dungog, Stroud Road, then up the Buckets Way to Gloucester.

I wouldn't be towing a 3 1/2 tonne van across the Tops at any time, let alone winter, when ther'e a good chance the NPWS will have closed the road, or sections of it due to snow, ice etc.

Maybe he will clarify his intentions a bit.

Fred
FollowupID: 766884

Follow Up By: Gado - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 16:16

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 16:16
Hello DW and Fred G,

Google Maps and I think the best road from Singleton to Barrington Tops is via Scone and Moonan Flat. It's about 40km (1 hour) shorter than via Gresford and Dungog.

Maybe it depends which way he wants to head after that.

Either way there is a windy gravel road near the Tops...and agree, it gets cold up there!

Cheers, Gado
FollowupID: 766888

Reply By: escapesilv - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:49

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:49
Hi Humpback

If you are going to Barrington Tops, all I can guarantee is that it is very cold there at the moment, going bellow "0" at night.

Cheers.

Robert
AnswerID: 491415

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:54

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:54
It's not one road, as such, but a series of busy country roads through very pretty country, with some beaut opportunities for camping on the way, such as Lostock Dam. Martins Creek to Wallarobba gets a bit narrow and pot holed, and Dungog to Stroud Road is also a bit narrow and hilly. We take coaches through there no problems. Take it easy and enjoy a beautiful drive through some historic old villages.

Fred.
AnswerID: 491416

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 16:08

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 16:08
I am assuming that is the way your thinking of going ??
FollowupID: 766885

Follow Up By: humpback - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 17:22

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 17:22
Thankyou to everybody for your feedback,the way the map reads is to go Singleton Mitchel Flats Gresford Dungog Washpool and then up to Gloucester,is that the way to go.
Cheers
Humpback
FollowupID: 766893

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 17:36

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 17:36
That's it. From Dungo head for Stroud Road, where you will join the Bucket's Way.

Have a lookHERE for a sensational place to camp, right in the foothills of the Barrington Tops.

Enjoy your visit.

Fred.
FollowupID: 766894

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 18:01

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 18:01
ok Humpback - first of all, just to clarify: if you do mean the Scone> Gloucester Rd, I wouldn't be dragging a 23ft van up from Moonan Flat. It is possible but not a good idea anytime, let alone winter. You'll come across a couple of narrow/tight turns when you get up around Moonan outlook and it just isn't a good idea. Although you could camp at Noonan caravan park next to the pub: The Victoria Inn, which is a great spot and you can unhitch and drive up to the snow??? in less than an hour. If you want to come from Merriwa, Singleton and around to Gloucester via Dungog it's a bit of a run but once you get to Gloucester, head west on the main Tops road to Scone and there are a couple of great camps at Cobark or Poley's Place in the foothills for a modest fee or a freebie before you get there at Copeland. All easy access for a big rig and then easy trip up the dirt road where you might get a bit of snow. Probably will, this week, maybe. Probably easier on the Gloucester side although a longer run by maybe an hour or so. Lovely spots just around there and not far from Gloucester for any needs. As mentioned, it'll certainly be cold (probably sub zero) up on the tops but several degrees warmer, lower down at camp. Check here to see if the road is open up top though because they usually do close it in winter: 02 6538 5300.
AnswerID: 491427

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:55

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:55
If you are wanting to go from Singleton to Gloucester ( and see Barrington Tops ), you will need ( and want ) to go thru Scone...Moonan Flat...up the mountain...over the tops..and down the other side to Gloucester..

During winter, they do sometimes close the road, but only if there has been snow, but as it's not very often, you should normally have no problems...

The road is just a normal dirt road, and going up ( and down the other side ) it can be slow and winding, but towing a big van will be no problem....semi trailer log jinkers ply this road all the time.....

As usual, drive to the conditions and enjoy yourself....
AnswerID: 491451

Reply By: Greg Newell- Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 17:47

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 17:47
I drive a log truck up there all the time no issue at all. great views great road just need every day road sence enjoy the trip and welcom to my part of the world
AnswerID: 491716

Reply By: humpback - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 18:03

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 18:03
Hi Greg
Thankyou for your feedback i was concerned that the road was narrow and steep hills and by reading some of the replies could be dangerous,but as ypu said take your time and drive to the conditions and take in the views
Cheers
Humpback
AnswerID: 491717

Sponsored Links