Carnarvon WA

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:19
ThreadID: 97076 Views:1980 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys,

just wondering if there is much to do for a family in Carnarvon. We have a 9yo & 6yo and were tossing up whether to stop in or not.
Is it worth stopping in? and for how long?
If worth stopping, can anyone recommend a caravan park?

Cheers
Clint
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: didjabringabeer - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 14:33

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 14:33
Hi Jetty you can walk out on, and fish. I think it was the first one on the right heading into town we stayed at was ok. CP that is. Must be more to do Brian
AnswerID: 491642

Reply By: disco driver - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 14:35

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 14:35
Carnarvon Space Tracking Station, 1 Mile jetty (good fishing), Blowholes N of Town,(beware of King waves), Plantation tours (Banana and Mango smooooothies MMMM) and that's without thinking.

Check at the Visitor Centre for current activities and other places to see.

Most of the caravan parks on the road into town have fairly good reports and facilities.

Disco.
AnswerID: 491643

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:25
We always stay at Marloo Caravan park, very clean and well kept, however it is/use to be a Seniors Park but I do feel it was changing last time we were there.... we don't stay that long in Carnarvon, usually a stay on the way through.... worth a look though if you are going past...

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 491660

Reply By: Member - Darren & Janella (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:29

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:29
Hi,

We usually stop at the Wintersun CP on the way through. Always found it to be pretty good.

Cheers,
Darren
Bungle Bungle - The Kimberley

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491662

Reply By: Grubby - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 21:16

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 21:16
Hey Clint and Chelle

I think I stayed next to you guys in Fitzroy!!
I would for sure stop in Carnavon for a while. I do like that Marloo Caravan Park (different name now I think tho - Outback Oasis it is!!) - beware of that van tho!!! LOL - they threw me on the back fence and it was the tightest reversing I had to do in the entire journey thus far :-)
Hope you guys are going along nicely. I made it near on two weeks ago - and am settled at my daughter's 'freecamp' lol. :-)

Robin

AnswerID: 491737

Reply By: ReCon - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 15:05

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 15:05
Run , run , run while you can!

No women or children first , it's every man for themselves.

I spent a lifetime there one afternoon…

[Sorry , not at all keen on the town. much better places to stay both north and south of the joint :)]
AnswerID: 491780

Follow Up By: R Send - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 15:59

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 15:59
Can you give us a few clues then, please?
Bob
FollowupID: 767343

Follow Up By: Member - vicbar57 - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:59

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:59
Hey Recon,I don't think you would enjoy yourself anywhere. I believe you are the type of traveller that would want all to be laid on a plate for you while you sat there.
FollowupID: 767386

Follow Up By: ReCon - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 15:27

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 15:27
Nice work Vic mate , good to see a useful, ill- informed post by yourself.

We are in the area 5 months a year , and have been since '89.
To be brutally honest , the Aboriginal problem is one main reason that I avoid the town nowdays , unlike the '90's when it was a fantastic little town.

Before everyone goes off half cocked about racism ect, no it has nothing to do with that whatsoever.
After helping fellow travellers that have had outboards, equipment and fuel stolen from them in the carparks in the town ,or an elderly couple that were victims of assault because they were considered defenceless targets for easy money , I believe there are better places to bring the kids to for some fun and relaxation.

Depending if you are going north or south Clint and Chelle , and what you plan on staying in?

South has Bush Bay , The Stromalites at Hamelin Pool , Monkey Mia /Denham which are not a huge drive away.

North has Coral Bay Waroorah and Exmouth , just to get you familiar with the area. There are station stays like Bulara , and Giralia as well.

Most of these areas are very kid friendly where they can run quite freely and not need to deal with traffic or need to drive 50 k's to reach a nice beach [except Bulara]. Things are much quieter , and all the exploring they can handle is within easy driving reach.
You have snorkelling , diving , surfing , caves , cliffs , fishing , all close by in Exmouth.

By all means , stay at CVN , but there are just beautiful areas north and south that will likely have a more positively profound effect on them that .
Plantation tours are nice , but kids run out of attention span in about 3 milliseconds with this type of thing. The ocean will wear them out , as will exploring the canyons in Exmouth , or diving with the Snapper in Coral Bay.

You can google what is on offer , and by all means spend a day or 2 in Carnarvon, just perhaps not plan an extended amount of time in the place IMHO.
FollowupID: 767415

Reply By: Member - vicbar57 - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:54

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:54
Hi Clint& Chell, All the fresh fruit & veg, seafood you want. Tours thru plantations, visit the new space and technology museum. beautiful beaches at the blowholes where you can dive for crayfish off the beach. walk the one mile jetty or catch crabs or fishoff it. Mount Augustus is not that far away. I could go on for pages. Carnarvon has alot to offer for young and old.
AnswerID: 491814

Sponsored Links