Big softies

Submitted: Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 17:57
ThreadID: 97118 Views:2099 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My old man has driven around this country in trucks for over 50years. Six months ago he retired, so he and mum are doing short trips in the bago.
He has always been the typical country bred toughie. Not doing this, or not doing that. That is for sissies etc. Laughs at things like min min lights, stories of ufo's etc.
I was talking to him on the phone the other night and he was talking about how much he enjoyed the dinosaur museum near Winton. Commented on the attractions at Longreach, even mentioned that they were going for a dig for their own dinosaur bones, or opals. Things he would never had looked at in the past.
Made me laugh after I got off the phone.
Seems that travelling this country, has soothed the savage beast.

Some things still will not change though. He looks for somewhere to wash the vehicle every oppurtunity he gets. lol

There are a lot of people who complain about those who travell. I say go for it. Don't wait till you retire. If you can, do it while your young. Explore. relax. Enjoy yourself.
If more people relax, there would be less aggression in this world. He is kicking himself that he did not start this years ago.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 18:30

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 18:30
I know exactly how he feels, been their, done that and I just want to sit back and enjoy this wonderful country of ours. Good luck to him, and mum she deserves the ride too.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491790

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 21:16

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 21:16
SDG,

Ha ha, if he's still in Winton, tell him there's a good wash down bay at the saleyards. I'll even lend him mine, if he wants some high pressure.

The wife works at the dinosaur place(Australian Age of Dinosaurs), so she was a bit chuffed about your, or at least your Dad's, comments. They are conducting a dig at the moment, and have already found the bones of a new dinosaur.

Check out the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Facebook page, they've uploaded about 50 photos of the current dig.

Hope your Olds have a long and healthy retirement,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491800

Follow Up By: SDG - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 21:31

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 21:31
I just had a look at the website. It has changed since I was there. I took the kids there a few years back. All I saw then was a large shed, that had everything in it.

They have already left. Heading north. They ring me occasionaly for some info, as I did a similar trek a few years back. I think there was mention about having a dig around Richmond aas that was where I found my bones. Plus i told them they need to check out the butcher there. Best snags i have ever had.
FollowupID: 767364

Sponsored Links