looking at a Viscount 1974 22ft duel axel van ...... any advice ???

Submitted: Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:48
ThreadID: 97164 Views:2137 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all again, we are still looking at vans, we have come accross a decent "sounding" van as stated above, my BIGGEST problem is i simply cant look at any, i have to get someone else and trust them on it ....
So oh wise ones, what do we look for problem wise, it is supposed to be "re-furbished" but it seems to the common word used now so i really dont trust that word :-)
Many thanks in advance
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:59

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:59
If i was looking at old vans i would want to do a personal" sniff n look". they may say refurbished but what does that really mean? i rebuilt a 78 Franklin Arrow which had many leaks and never had any maintenance, but i didnt just throw new sheets over the rotten frame, i replaced it. it was done properly and the people that bought it years later knew it. unless it is someone you trust, look at them yourself.
AnswerID: 491943

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:32

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:32
Hi guys, i would love to be in a position to look but distance/time restricts us, we live 500klms North of Mt Isa, 1000ks from Cairns ect so we still look at things for sale we need but ONLY pick areas where we can freight from and get someone we know well to look at it, we really dont have any options other than that, i guess we are in one sence lucky as the result of living very remote is we have good people we know all over the country .. and a lot of them on Exoz :-)
As an example it costs us more than $500 bucks to fly to Isa return and OVER a grand to fly to Cairns return ...... the joys of working remote eh ..........
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 767560

Follow Up By: Paul and Mel - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:48

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:48
i understand your position. you may have to just"run the gauntlet" and trust what people say as to its condition. pictures always look better than the real thing, pity you cant smell them......:-)
FollowupID: 767563

Follow Up By: ao767brad - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 22:29

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 22:29
Hi Joe and Mel, I know the dilemma I loved in borroloola and remote NT communities many years ago. You have heaps of other people on this and the other forums now that are often happy to help, whilst living in Cairns I looked at 2 vans for southerns and have also looked at a few in Sydney for others interstate. Whilst there are some things they may not find, if a independent set of eyes will make you feel more confident, just ask if anyone can help, I am confident you will get offers if in a large town/city. For the cost of a call to their mobile you can talk them through an inspection you would do if you were there.
Not ideal but better than buying sight unseen as I am sure we have all been burnt at some time.
FollowupID: 767571

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 23:41

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 23:41
and guess what, it is in Cairns, we have a cuz living there and her other half is a builder and his mate a "boiley" so i am hoping they can probally make a better desision than me, i am most likely to buy it on looks so even better they look at it eh ........
And yep if you lived in Borroloola you will know exactly the dilemma i have doing this, the other "problem" is that if you are not quick you can also lose a good deal hence the need to get something looked at quickly eh, we when we can pay people to look and give a honest answer as it costs far more to get "burnt" eh ...
Cheers Joe
FollowupID: 767576

Sponsored Links