Safe places to stay in NSW Outback White Cliffs to Sydney

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 14:20
ThreadID: 97179 Views:2104 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip from Sydney to Balranald - Lake Mungo - Kinchega National Park - Broken Hill,- Cameron Corner, back to Mutawintji National Park - white Cliffs, if all go's to plan. What do you think of this trip Route?

We are looking at taking a couple of days returning from White Cliffs, back to Sydney, we will have a 12yr old & 10yr old girls, a bit dubious about where to stop on the way back Eg: Cobar, Nyngan.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on some safe places to stay/camp on way back and what would be the best route back.

Thank you
Ta.
Kylie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 14:58

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 14:58
Hi Kylie,

You havent said how you are travelling and living on the road (vehicle only, tents, camper trailer caravan etc). This info is useful even essential to guide you to good places.

That said in general most places are quite safe, though there have been recommendations in the past to just drive through Wilcannia. If you are bush camping do so well away from towns and you will have no problems. Most caravan parks would be considered safe, though obviously some will be better than others in terms of facilities etc.

FWIW you will probably be safer out there than in Sydney!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491983

Follow Up By: Kylie 1 - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 15:13

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 15:13
Hi Val

Sorry! We will be be traveling by Prado, Mostly bush camping some staying in Hotel/Pub (Broken Hill/ White Cliffs)

Thanks
Kylie
FollowupID: 767614

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 16:46

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 16:46
OK, there is a reasonable National Parks campground in Goobang NP which is near Parkes/Peak Hill. We stayed there last year and there is a bit in our blog about it here

Might be suitable for an overnighter on your way home.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 767622

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 21:26

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 21:26
Nyngan van park alongside the Bogan river is an excellent place to stay
FollowupID: 767650

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 17:48

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 17:48
Hi Kylie,
Ningan is a nice place but can get freezing overnight. We got caught in a very bad frost!!!!!! We were sleeping it the car.
Stay well away from Wilcannia. Enjoy your trip .
Take care, Safe travels.
Bye for now Ma.
FollowupID: 767816

Reply By: racinrob - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 15:06

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 15:06
There are no "Safe places" or "Unsafe Places" really. I never camp closer than 20 or more kms to a town and always try to be out of sight to passing traffic. Never advertise your presence by having a fire or bright lights after dark, it's all a matter of being careful especially around some high risk towns. Even though, supposedly there's safety in numbers I have been hazed in rest area by hoons from the nearest town.
rr VKE237 Sel 6678
AnswerID: 491984

Sponsored Links