Innamincka to Birdsville

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 08:47
ThreadID: 97189 Views:2054 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, planning on going to the Birdsville racers this year. Would like to take the Strzelecki Track to Innamincka from there to Birdsville. Will be towing an off road caravan. Have 5 days to do it in. Any Ideas as per camping areas on the way etc.

Thanks
Harry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 13:23

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 13:23
Hi Harry,
The most direct way was along the Walkers Crossing track, but this is closed indefinitely. Options are to go via Cordillo Downs to meet up with the Birdsville Development Rd or go into Qld through Arrabury (and a detour to Haddon Corner if you want). Both are fairly long ways around. Check track conditions on this forum for latest info. I haven't yet travelled either track but I have maps if you want. I hope others will add to this.
Mike.
AnswerID: 492022

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 15:29

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 15:29
We did Cordillo Downs from Birdsville to Innamincka late last week, although we were told at the Birdsville Info Centre that the lower section section was closed, when we got there it was open & had just been graded.
We couldn't believe the amount of activity being caused by the seismic sounding of the area, there were wires & sensors across the track & crisscrossing the whole area. Also heaps of mining vehicles & couple of big base camps.
FollowupID: 767680

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:48

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:48
I have done the Arabury route including the side trip to Haddons Corner. It is a pretty easy run and could be completed in one day if you wanted to.

As for camping areas. Most of the recognised camping areas are between Innamincka and Nappa Merrie, so all a bit close to Innamincka for me. That said, you could camp just about anywhere along the road without attracting too much attention.

Haddons would be a good place to spend a night.

Others may be able to inform of any camping restrictions if there are any.

Duncs
AnswerID: 492103

Sponsored Links