Way out where?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 08:54
ThreadID: 97202 Views:2718 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
What are some places that you would consider must see, that are not Caravan friendly?

Just trying to compile a list to get an idea of where I might need to leave the van.

Any where in AUS.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg Newell- Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 10:29

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 10:29
Pota roo falls near Taree great spot worth the short walk into see them
AnswerID: 492055

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:49

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:49
Angie, how long is a piece string! Your question is a dam big one. Also, it really depends on what caravan you have. True off road or what. Where in Australia are you intending on going? Kevin
AnswerID: 492064

Follow Up By: Angie M - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:58

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:58
We are travelling all of Aus, no time frame...just driving.
We will have an older caravan, and I mean under 7 grands worth,

I was basically trying to see how gauge how often we will need to leave to caravan behind to get into those must see places, for example we definitely want to do the Gibb, and obviously we wont take the van, we have a tent and are happy for that.

I just wanted to know YOUR favourite places, that were NOT caravan Friendly, if its just a day trip that doesn't really count, but more places that we would need to head out for a few days!

(I did write up a better post, which explained this a bit better but the site broke as I posted and it never showed up...instead I opted for the shorter version)
FollowupID: 767719

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 13:21

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 13:21
Turly hard to answer, there are many many many places we have visited where it would have been very different if we had a caravan

Cape York Telegraph track with numerous magic camp spots, numerous other spots in Cape York which is 4WD only, Bugle Bungles, Kimberley (yes I know there are caravans but not in some spots we were) CSR, Simpsn, to name just a few where we have been

Suggest your question is not answerable to compile a complete list on this big continent of ours..

CJ
AnswerID: 492066

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 13:27

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 13:27
Hi Angie

I take it you have a high clearance four wheel drive. Just to mention a few:

The Gibb River Road is a must see - so you have made the right decision. It was our all time favourite trip and we spent over three weeks without seeing everything, including the side trip to the Mitchell Plateau and to Kalumburu. You can see My Blogs from 2008 if you are interested. Don't forget to go to Purnululu when you do the loop back; that is also a time to take the tent. We spent two nights there; one at each campground at either end of the park and effectively had the greater part of three days touring. The only other place i have visited that caravans are banned is the Fitzgerald River National Park in southern Western Australia, but that can be done in day trips when the roads in the park are open.

Places we have been that you may or may not choose to take your caravan are the East MacDonnell Ranges in Central Australia with dirt road access to the lovely campground of Trephina Gorge where we left the caravan to do further day trips. In the West MacDonnells we went into some campgrounds with good dirt road access such as Redbank Ridge, but some have easier access.

While still in Central Australia places you would NOT go with your caravan include into Palm Valley near Hermannsburg but lovely and worth taking the tent; the Mereenie Loop between Hermannsburg and Kings Canyon, but there is easy bitumen road access to Kings Canyon.

Lawn Hill in Queensland is another must see and depending on road conditions at the time conventional caravans do go there and camp at Adeles Grove campground which is fully serviced but unpowered, but has a generator area. Again for two or three day easy to take the tent.

Carnarvon Gorge in Queensland was another we enjoyed. There is some dirt road access, but OK for all types of caravans.

I hope this gives you a start.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492068

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 13:38

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 13:38
Yes Angie Lawn Hill is a must see.
If its an older black top van probably leave it at Gregory Downs and just go by vehicle to Adels Grove (about 80km gravel road).
Can hire a canoe there to paddle up the gorge-breathtaking scenery.
As MH said camp sites are available.
Cheers
FollowupID: 767723

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 14:22

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 14:22
Hi Angie,

Thats a very big question. We have seen caravans in all sorts of places, and not just the top of the range off-road ones either. In part its an individual decision about what you can do, but it will also depend on road conditions at the time you are there in any given place. From what we have seen (we dont have a van so cant speak from direct experience) you "can" take a van on the Oodnadatta, Tanami, Strzelecki and Birdsville tracks and into Lawn Hill providing you drive carefully, to suit the conditions etc - unless the road is in poor condition and the graders havent got onto the repair work. Also depends on how much damage and dust you are prepared to tolerate.

Even the GRR, though not north of Drysdale - with the usual provisos.

You definitely cant take a CV across the Simpson or the Canning tho!

There are a couple of storage options for when you go into the Bungles.

There really cant be any definitive answer to your question, especially as your trip is still some time off - things do change.

Also remember that its the journey, not just the destination that is important. And that holds true for the planning and preparation stages as much as for the actual trip itself.

Cheers,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492071

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 15:27

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 15:27
Hi Angie,

To whet your appetite and to give you some idea of what is possible, up to a point, I would suggest you get hold of the Gall Boys Adventures.
See Here

These are caravan touring movies made by the people that make Kedron caravans.

I do not by any means suggest you do most of the things these guys do, sometimes they are maniacs, LOL, but if you only make one quarter of the effort these guys make you will find there are very few places you cannot go.

I can guarantee you will be enthralled by these guys and the trouble they go to.
Just remember that they go all out to break there gear to 'track prove' their equipment and anything that breaks they repair when they get it back to the workshop.

You will have many hours of entertainment with these movies and you will learn what not to do, often, during the movies. You will also get more than a few laughs.

Thoroughly recommended. It will be the best thing you have seen on TV in a while.

Deffinitely no connection with the Kedron people but often in awe of their efforts.

Hope it is of some benefit
Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 492076

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 15:36

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 15:36
Should have added,
Go for the 9 DVD pack as it is good value for money and it will be something the whole family can enjoy. Nothing R rated about these guys.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 767732

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:20

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:20
The question was WE'RE CARAVANS DON'T GO !
FollowupID: 767818

Reply By: p_marns - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:56

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:56
palm valley N.T and adele s grove QLD
AnswerID: 492106

Reply By: timothy - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 09:37

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 09:37
Off limits based on our travels:-
- Cape York north of Laura
- Bungle Bungles
- Fraser Island

These can be done as a long daytrip but would be nice to camp
- Fitzgerald NP
- Gunlom Falls (Kakadu)
- Chambers Pillar
- Lake Eyre North

Places we took the van but would be dependent on road and weather conditions:
- Palm Valley
- Trephina Gorge
- Redbank Gorge
- Oodnadatta/Strzelecki track

We haven't done the entire GRR but would have been happy to take the caravan in to Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge.

Remember to enjoy the places you do see, not worry about the ones you didn't, here's us at Lake Eyre south:

AnswerID: 492143

Sponsored Links