navman gps

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:40
ThreadID: 97217 Views:2673 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i have been travelling around south west QLD and have found the mapping to be all but useless in this gps it has tried to send us down roads that do not exist and some secondary roads are not on their itinerary have kept it on just for a laugh stan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 21:04

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 21:04
Electronic navigation aids have their place. It's not the outback.Mine couldn't even find the Birdsville Track. To get from Marree to Birdsville it wanted me to go via Pt Augusta, Broken Hill, Cobar, Bourke, Charleville and Thargomindah.

If I need a map I will always carry good paper maps when travelling anywhere outside the big smoke.

The GPS is entertaining. The other day, travelling from Broken Hill to Sydney it wanted me to stay on the south side of the rail line at Trangie. It was a two wheel track. Makes me wonder what they were thinking when they set up the software.

Duncs
AnswerID: 492109

Reply By: Bearded Fish - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 23:38

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 23:38
I have the Navman MY75T. Bought it because it has Hema maps and I was doing a good trip. Tanami, Gibb River, etc. It worked for about the first 200k's on the black top then turned itself off when on. On when off. Would only sometimes charge in the vehicle and asked me to do U turns on 100k straight roads. Had it repaired under warranty then died the day I got it back from repair. Navman are sending a new unit because they said they will not repair it twice. Happy with that!
I have the Hema Easy Read 4wd Atlas and that does not fail to work!!
Kevin
AnswerID: 492127

Follow Up By: ao767brad - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 13:20

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 13:20
Not the only one having problems with the Navman 75, I wrote a review on it after our 3 month trip around Oz shortly after they were released in 2010. They claim the fault lies with Navteq the map supplier but its a load of rot, neither of them even replied to the 4 pages of specific mapping faults that we logged over the 3 months with it, including the length of the Oodnadatta track saying that we were 100--150mtrs off the track all the way, roads marked in the middle of nowhere, towns throughout Australia incorrectly named or mis spelt and a GPS that was often poor in reception dispite being on top of hills with an ipad getting 8 satellites. Had to do 2 reboots of software also after unit froze and could not be used at all. What a heap of $350 plastic!!!! No wonder they have been selling "factory remanufactured" units on every internet selling site for the last 6 months and I imagine lots of owners sent them back if they had an experience half as bad as we did.
FollowupID: 767875

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 01:09

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 01:09
I find that many people buy a GPS , stick it in the car/4x4 and away they go and then wonder why the GPS does not show various roads , and won't show the correct route, As Dunc's has stated with the Birdsville track , Duncs ...if you added Mungerannie Hotel as a via point (thats if your using a Garmin) then the unit should route to Marree from Birdsville, the Track is on the software, Duncs GPS is more than likely set as Fastest Route and or Unsealed roads in the settings are ticked off.

I know this thread is related to Navman, I'm not familiar with them but if they too have settings as shown below I'm sure the unit should perform as required , well a Garmin will....!!!

When using a Garmin do these settings
Image Could Not Be Found

Next touch Map and do the ones below.
Image Could Not Be Found

This depicts what new units will be set at, on this setting a lot of data is not shown.
Image Could Not Be Found

This is the setting you should choose as soon as you buy the unit.
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492129

Reply By: Navman - Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:19

Monday, Sep 03, 2012 at 11:19
Hi stan,

I would suggest ensuring that your unit is up-to-date with the latest map changes. To automatically download the latest map update, follow the instructions on this page: http://www.navmansupport.com.au/All%20Navman%20FAQs/TOP%2010%20FAQs/Auto%20Map%20Update___519.htm

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Navman Support
AnswerID: 494164

Sponsored Links