Normanton - Booroloola..??

Currently on the Savannah Way - westbound... heading for the Stuart Hwy then North...
Arrive Normanton tomorrow (Wed 8th)
What are people's advice(s) on towing an 18ft Jayco Discovery, twin axle (NOT an off-roader) from Normanton to Booroloola on the Savannah Hwy via Hell's Gate...
Realise it is a gravel/dirt road all the way - what are our chances if we took it easy...???
Alternative is to go due south to Cloncurry (also gravel/dirt road) - what are our chances if we took that one easy...?
Or backtrack and stay on the black stuff down to Charters - and then west across the Barcly...
Who's done it recently with a sizeable onroad van...??
Tug is a Patrol...
Thanks if you can advise...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:03

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:03
Sorry everyone - I see a recent post on this already - I should've looked first...
I'll read the replies to that post.
Sorry again...
AnswerID: 492483

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:05

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:05
oh dear, all was good until i read you have a Patrol, it is ok as i am at Doomadgee and have a PRU Landcruiser (Patrol recovery unit) so we will keep a look out for you ..
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 492485

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:20

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:20
Ha-Haa... Joe...
Maybe we can draw up the Recovery Contract on our way through Doomadgee over a cuppa tea on saturday...?
Jedo (another Joe...)
FollowupID: 768159

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:29

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:29
Hey if you are going from Normanton to Burktown past Leichart (or however you spell it) you will be going on the same type of road, if you make that ok then the rest will be fine .........
Yes a cuppa on Sat sounds like a plan, give us a ring when at Burktown on 4745 8298 and we will see you there ... we dont work on Sat but will be "around" ..........
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 768163

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:43

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:43
i bet the old couple at Musgrave roadhouse this morning wish they bought a patrol as their four month old land cruiser was getting loaded on a tray back to Cooktown.
FollowupID: 768166

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:11

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:11
oh ya kidding ... what a late model one, i do feel for them if they outlayed a heap of money eh...
FollowupID: 768168

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:22

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:22
Sounds like a good plan, Joe... Trial run from Normanton - Liechardt Falls...
As Sinatra sang: "If you can Make it There... You'll make it Any-where..."
Will phone you Saturday and let you know...
Joe
FollowupID: 768169

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:16

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:16
I arrived in Normanton today from Lawn Hill and Burketown.

Leichardt Falls to Burketown is now all tar, despite what maps may show. The Normanton/Leichardt Falls section had some corrugations. I didn't think they were too bad, but you may disagree!

I think the Normanton/Cloncurry road is sealed.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 492494

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:53
Thanks Graeme...
All good info for other travellers as well as us...
Corrugations - When we first arrived here 26 yrs ago, we used to bump our way over the Broken Hill dirt roads @ 10 - 20kph... We have now learned to find the sweet speed and "ride" the corrugations...
Jedo
FollowupID: 768181

Reply By: Member - willawa - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:37

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:37
HI Jedo-3
We did the Savannah way in July towing our off road camper trailer without any probs.
You should be OK if you(as said) "take it easy'.and be prepared for dust!
The road from Hells Gate to the NT border was rough with heaps of corrugations
worth staying at Hells Gate and refuel (,the only spot until Borroloola for fuel).

I you need to break the trip from trip from Hells Gate to Borroloola you can stay at the Robinson River crossing. there are camp spots on both sides of the river on the RHS when travelling towards Borrloola. NOT THE ROBINSON RIVER SETTLEMENT.
Depending on where you are heading I would then head towards Cape Crawford
unless you want more dirt and dust towards Roper Bar.
Let me know if you would like any additional info.
Cheers
Ed

AnswerID: 492496

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:05

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:05
Hi Ed... and Thanks for ALL that info...
We don't drive "impatiently" - even on the black stuff...
We will refuel at Hell's gate and overnight... and an overnight at the Robinson River Xing sounds like good advice too...
Was there much water flowing there..??
We are self sufficient: 12v (110Ah in rear of tug plus DC-DC charger to 110Ah in Van) 2x water tanks plus 30L cask water: Waeco - on Freeze plus van fridge and freezer: 2 large Gas tanks on van plus 2 smaller tanks...
Our reservations about that stretch of road are based on other traveller's experiences and descriptions - we 'know' it can be a challenge - but would "love" to do it - just to say we did...
'We can always turn around and go back if the going gets too tough for Jayco...
Our "plan" - once reaching Booroloola, was SW to Daley Waters then up the Stuart... Will look at the Cape Crawford alternative IF we survive the journey to Boorolooa...
Joe
FollowupID: 768175

Reply By: Member - willawa - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:42

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:42
Borroloola to Daly Waters I think would be the way to go for you ,but see how you go. I would suggest you stay at Cape Crawford in preference to Borroloola.
In regards to the height of the Robinson River,it was low when we
crossed,,but keep in mind it's not the only crossing you will come across.
Unless you have rain (a little unlikely) you'll be fine.

Chers
Ed
AnswerID: 492499

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:50

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:50
Thanks again Ed.. Cape Crawford it is...
Thanks to all for the info...
Since no-one has said "Don't do it" - or "No... you'll never make it", we are going to try and get through...
If the going gets tough - or the rivers are too deep - we're happy to turn around and go back...
In the spirit of Burke and Wills...
Jedo
AnswerID: 492510

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:14

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:14
the 2007 hema map of the Top End and Gulf shows the road sealed from Burketown to Leichhardt Falls
AnswerID: 492537

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:30

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:30
whoa - think I might've put that in the wrong thread

:))
FollowupID: 768213

Reply By: Sapper D - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 21:23

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 21:23
G,Day Jedo
Did that road just last week, ---(in opposite direction) from Roper bar to Normanton.---We passed quite a few vans of different types, and I don't think any of them would have any trouble.--As usual, there are rough spots, and lots of river/creek crossings, but there was only one that was up to the top of the tyres, the rest were half tyre height and easy to cross----some of the "dips" are serious dips, but they are well signposted, so obviously with a van take it a bit easier---(we were tenting it in a Navarra ute).---there's some roadwork's being done in a couple of places which is a bit messy, but take it easy and you'll be OK.---The road from Leichardt Falls to Burketown is blacktop, as is the road to Doomadgee except for a couple of Ks out of Burketown.--(don't know why they left that bit )--there's also a fair few Ks of tar east of Hells Gate and of course from Borroloola to the Stuart Hwy is all sealed
Hope this is of some help..........Good luck.......Sapper D
AnswerID: 492566

Reply By: AlanTH - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:32

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:32
We travelled the Roper Bar to Booroloola Rd approx a month ago with no real problems except for a truck driver mucking the 3 of us around as much as he could.
He pulled out of a mine site in front of us and then proceeded to stop start for the next 10 kays creating huge dust clouds and then when 2 of our vehicles managed to get the jump on him before he could pull away he deliberately swung over the road to stop me going past!!
We hung right back and stopped whenever we saw the dust just hanging there as he was sitting in it just waiting.
We finally caught up with him at the junction with the tar and he leaned out the window laughing.
Funny funny for him I suppose but it takes all kinds.
Just be careful where dust is concerned, it could quite innocently be a truck waiting for it to settle before continuing.
Alan.
AnswerID: 492577

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 19:15

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 19:15
Cancelled..!!!
See new post...
AnswerID: 492602

Sponsored Links