Mooloolaba- Birdsville

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:49
ThreadID: 97316 Views:1639 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
Well I am of to the Birdsville Races.
as I have been there 5 times never to the races ,but I have not seen a lot of the towns I passed through.
Well this time I am not on a time frame how great is that.
If any of you can advise me on the things I have missed & should see on the way,as well of great overnight camp Sites or great caravan Parks to stop.
Towns I will pass through or close by to mention some below,and help on things I should see,stop at or spend some time.
Blackbutt,Yarraman,Cooyar,Wutul,Nutgrove, Kiamkillienbun,Dalby,Chinchilla Roma, Mitchell ,Charleville,Windorah

You help will greatly appreciated.
Regards

Colin
CLC50
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: barney136 - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:24

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:24
Windorah yabbie races are worth a look they are the Wednesday night before the races at Birdsville
AnswerID: 492495

Follow Up By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:58

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 20:58
Thanks Barney
I have stayed behind the Western Star a couple of times & had a great meal
I will go to the Yabby Races
FollowupID: 768174

Follow Up By: honest - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 06:55

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 06:55
Hey Col when you get to Chareville a good place to stop is Evening Star Tourist Park it is just out of Chareville a working cattle station run by a young couple.
cheers honest
FollowupID: 768188

Follow Up By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 05:25

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 05:25
Hi
Well the evening Stars ,Sound like a great place to stop a couple of days

Thank you
FollowupID: 768266

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:44

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:44
Hello,

Cooyar- Palm National park- Aussies smallest National Park, lovely little walk. Then lunch at Cooyar pub, and camping in area accessed by road next to pub, has power for small amount, and has a swing bridge accross the creek which supposedly has platypus. Muntapa Railway Tunnel just up the road, old stone railway tunnel well worth a visit and a walk through.

Yarraman- top of the hill- forestry park lunch area at site of original forestry workers family home, they planted lots of jacarandas many years ago. Lovely spot.

Windorah- free camp on the banks of the Cooper Ck, lots of birds, very peaceful. Lots of choice of campsites, rubbish bins provided, and one toilet near the bridge.

Morven, east of Mitchell, camp at sportsground, hot showers and toilets for a donation. Walking distance to the pub for a great meal

Cawnpore lookout- You probable are not going this way, but one of our favourite places ever!! Between Winton and Boulia, not far from Middleton pub. Fantastic lookout up a jumpup, and another higher jumpup to climb next to it. Amazing views. Call into the Middleton pub for an entertaining shop from the bar guy.

Hope this helps
Kris
AnswerID: 492509

Follow Up By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 05:14

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 05:14
Hi Cris & Kev

Thank you for the great information, I will stop @ these places & have a look around
FollowupID: 768265

Sponsored Links