Sturt national Park..Tibooburra Camp Fires Allowed????

Hello Everyone

We will be travelling up to Cameron Corner in Sep/Oct. We were planing on staying at Sturt National Park, noticed no fires allowed. If we stay in Park can anyone tell us the best camp ground to camp at. Is there any other camp grounds around Tibooburra that dose allow camp fires, as it could be a little cool at night.

Ta.
Kylz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stan & Jenni - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 15:29

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 15:29
Kylie,

I would recommend Fort Grey Campground, it is half way between Tibooburra and Cameron Courner on the Cameron Corner Road, plenty of camp sites, it is well set up with clean drop toilets and several gas BBQ's under ample shelter. we were the only ones there back in April this year. can not advise about a camp fire as we had mid 20's overnight temps so never thought about a fire.

Travel Safe and have fun

Stan
AnswerID: 492665

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 16:58

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 16:58
Hi kylie,

In June we stayed four nights in our caravan at Dead Horse Gully campground, which is only a couple of kms out of Tibooburra. We used it as a base to explore the area. There is goodTelsta phone signal there and plenty of sites, suitable for all kinds of rigs. Also a nice short walk around through the huge granite boulders nearby, as well as an olld gold mining site.

Toilets in all 4 campgrounds are clean long drops and there's free gas BBQ's, water (not treated), garbage bins in each. We were impressed with the facilities given the remote location.

You are correct in saying that fires are not allowed in any of the national Park campgrounds, but by September I wouldn't think that nights will be too cold. We also like to have a fire to cook on but when we stay, we obey the rules so had to enjoy them in other places when we free camped.

It depends on the type of vehicle/s you have, and where you are going as to which one you should stay in...Fort Grey is close to Cameron Corner...around 40 kms south east so if you are going there you could camp on the way although we did that as a day drive.
Olive Downs is off the Silver City Highway not far from Warri Gate and the Queensland border, and we stayed a night there and did the walk to have a look at the Jump up country before we went through to Queensland.
Mt Wood is at least 50 kms to the east of Tibooburra off the Wanaaring Road.

It is wonderful country...I loved it and would like to return one day.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492669

Reply By: muffin man - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 22:18

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 22:18
Yep sadly camp fires are on the way out. Sturt NP, Witjira and already they are talking about banning camp fires in the simpson !
How long until it's a reality ?
MM
AnswerID: 492687

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 09:07

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 09:07
We stayed a Fort Grey Campground for 2 nights in July 2011. The first night we (2 vehicles) were the only ones there. The second night there were quite a few vehicles there. As the campground is large everyone was well spaced from one another. It is just a short walk from the campground to Lake Pinaroo. The only downside (and it was a very small downside) was that you could hear the faint hum of the nearby Fort Grey Homestead in rhe distance.
My photos of the campsite are here and on the following pages.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492696

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:04

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:04
Another option is the Aboriginal Land Council bush campsite about 3km SE of Tib.

In June we used it as a base for day-trips into Sturt NP.

Has coin-operated showers, shelter, bar-b-que, a tap and nicely separated sites. Fires are OK. An interesting walk is marked in the area too.

There's a gate across the road in, which looks like it's locked but it isn't (usually).

HTH.
AnswerID: 492808

Sponsored Links