Locking gas bottles and water cans on a Camping Trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:32
ThreadID: 97414 Views:4937 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,
We're heading off from Melbourne in 6 weeks for a 8 week trip up through the centre to Darwin then across to the East coast and back to Melbourne.
We are tenting it, towing a trailer and wondering if we need to lock up the gas bottles and water cans mounted on the side of the trailer. Will be staying on the bitumen, mainly at caravan and National parks.

Cheers & Beers

Rob, Kim & Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mrlocks - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:46

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:46
Im a locksmith, from my experience anything not bolted/locked down will dissapear. the cost of some basic padlocks and chain would be less than a replacement gas bottle and fill.
Have a great trip
AnswerID: 492864

Follow Up By: rnrphantom - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:05

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:05
Thanks mrlocks.
I thought as much but wanted others opinion.
Thinking of a maybe plastic coated hardened cable and padlocks.

Cheers
Rob
FollowupID: 768489

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 15:13

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 15:13
Unfortunately the number of low lifes just waiting for the oportunity to relieve us of our posessions seems to be on the increase. Personally I would use plastic coated wire cables and hardened shank locks as you mentioned, they are a bit harder to cut with tools such as bolt cutters. The dirtbag with an angle grinder is a bit harder to stop but usually they don't like to make as much noise.

Safe travels
Pop
FollowupID: 768495

Reply By: jothefw - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:06

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:06
We have never worried about locking water or gas on - sometimes we put a R clip or similar through (split pin perhaps) just as extra back up to bungie straps etc

If someone wants to grab something, they will. I like to think most fellow travellers are in the same position, but then, I can be quite niave!
AnswerID: 492866

Follow Up By: 153 - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:03

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:03
"If someone wants to grab something, they will."

Yep and most likely steal whatever is the most easiest..........which will be the unlocked over the locked. Its about making your gear less attractive as a easy target!
FollowupID: 768491

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:03

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:03
Remember locks are to keep honest people out....... A low life can ruin any holiday. I see from your notes that you are staying mainly on the black top...... One thing to consider when purchasing padlocks is that dust & dirt ingress (through key hole) into the lock can make life difficult try & buy a better quality lock with a cover if possible..... Enjoy your trip & hopefully the low life's will be elsewhere!!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 492869

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 18:33

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 18:33
Unless you are leaving your trailer unattended for prolonged periods, I wouldn't bother.

We did a similar trip some years back with an offroad trailer and tinny on top with just a canvas cover over the trailer contents.
Inside the trailer was the outboard motor and fuel container (2 stroke mix) and all our camping gear and we had no problems at all at the caravan parks and National Parks we stayed at.

I reckon you would have more chance of winning lotto than having someone pinch your gas, or water in a caravan, or national park.
Yeah, it could happen, but so could someone jacking up your car and pinching the wheels.

Take precautions with valuables that they are not "in view", but this is the same anywhere you go.
Don't sweat it folks and just enjoy your trip.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492879

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:00

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:00
"I reckon you would have more chance of winning lotto than having someone pinch your gas, or water in a caravan, or national park.
Yeah, it could happen, but so could someone jacking up your car and pinching the wheels. "
Oh yeah. That sounds like some famous last words to me as plenty have had even their fridges nicked when some lowlife decides their need is greater than the owners.
I was in the Guolderton C/P some years back and the old couple opposite us had an Engel pinched when it was plugged in right outside their van door. And the cops out of Port Hedand pulled a bloke with a ute for some reason and found several fridges in the back none of which he called rightly call his own.
Take all the precautions you can, as someone will lift it or anything else not tied down tight, and there'd be nothing worse than yer supplies of coldies disappearing one hot day!
AlanH.
FollowupID: 768511

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:50

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:50
Hi , I think it always pays to be carefull with your belongings , there would be nothing worse than having to replace gas bottles etc, when you are tring to enjoy a holiday, especially if you are in an area where you have no access to a camping shop or somewhere to replace them. Have a great trip
cheers Judy
AnswerID: 492892

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:56

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:56
Rob,
My current trailer has done about 40,000 km of north oz travel. I chain fuel jerries on, and tie on water containers in case the bounce out of the holders on the outside of the trailer. Simple canvas top. Never been touched by anyone.
ian
AnswerID: 492893

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 21:50

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 21:50
Maybe we are lucky but in many years of camping we haven't had a single thing knocked off.

I hope you fare as well.

Paul
AnswerID: 492899

Reply By: rnrphantom - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 07:50

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 07:50
Thanks for all the replies.
Sounds like, for the most, we are an honest bunch which is nice to think about.
I must admit that in all our camping experiences, we have never had anything taken or tampered with.
Hope to catch up with some of you good people when we are on the road.
Cheers & Beers

Rob
AnswerID: 492903

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:40

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:40
Rob,

Good to hear that theft is quite uncommon, in most people's experience.

From what I've heard recently, rather then steal your gas cylinders, some of these "travellers" would prefer to take your full cylinder, and leave you with their empty one. Would suggest it's a rare occurrence, but has happened.

Safe travels everyone,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 768543

Reply By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 00:23

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 00:23
Hi Guys
NOW if we could work out something like.............YOU ARE IN A HIGH RISK AREA......and have 240 volts flowing through our gear ...problem solved....JUST JOKING :-))

We have our fridge cable locked and put the solar in the van if we are out for the day, ask others to keep an eye out...the rest is up to the unniverse
Have a great weekend
Brian
AnswerID: 492954

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:25

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:25
rnrphantom

Never had an issue, in all of our travells.
At the same time, try not to leave things too obvious.
But if you have to just padlock a top onto your trailer, either be it a mesh one, or a tin top, like the tradies use.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 493015

Sponsored Links