Flinders Ranges Adventure

Hi Folks,
We are planning our trip to the Flinders and will be bush camping in caravans which we will use as our base camp and from there will set out on our daily adventures. The vehicles are both Prado's.

I would be interested in the advice and experience of others who might be able to suggest the top 5 4WD treks which are an absolute must.

Also any advice on any hikes which we should do would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 09:36

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 09:36
Leaving the 4WD treks to others, I'd recommend the gazetted hikes around the Brachina Gorge / Trezona area - leaflets are available at the National Parks office at Wilpena, plus the actual Trailhead info boxes too. We have found the various walks from Trezona, Bunyeroo and Aroona to be top notch - just be sure to check the distances, weather and the safety info etc. We find the geology, scenery, fossils, birds and animals a real treat up there.
AnswerID: 492963

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 02:04

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 02:04
Around the Flinders Ranges NP the 4wd trek that is considered the must do trip is Skytrek at Willow Springs. I believe the route has changed now due to access issues onto the Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby Sanctuary site. My Photos of Sky trek are here photos 119 to 162 and here photos 140 to 178
As a total contrast is the "touch of salt" track at Nilpena Station. Photos are here photos 105 to 116 and here photos 85 to 111
A bit further afield is the Bendleby Ranges which are somewhat expensive but well worth while. Photos are here and here
These are the only "4WD" tracks I have done in the Flinders Ranges, but a lot of the ordinary dirt road tracks through the area such as Bunyeroo Gorge and Brachina Gorge are worth doing with great scenery.
If travelling from Port Augusta to the Flinders Ranges National Park an alternative to the bitumen between Quorn and Hawker is to take the drive along Arden Vale Road past Warren Gorge and Simmonston seehere photos 31 to 48 and here photos 1 to 12
A good book is the Ron Moon Book "The Flinders Ranges - An Adventurers Guide". See also thread 87508 in this forum.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493098

Sponsored Links