Bathurst to Tamworth

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 14:44
ThreadID: 97448 Views:5324 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi:
We are looking to go from Bathurst to Tamworth, but are sick of the main roads. We are looking to go from Bathurst to Bylong and then to Scone, towing a standard poptop caravan. Anyone here know what the road surface, alignment and likely traffic conditions are? We just want a safe, scenic route which differs from the main highways.

Also, anyone here know about the bypass for the Bridle track rockfall from Bathurst to Hill End? No, we are not taking the caravan on this, but would like to go and see what the road is like. We have a Pajero, but no snorkel, so the river crossing will have to be rather tame.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darryl D - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 15:45

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 15:45
Hi
We travel this frequently to Singleton without the van good scenic road sealed all the way to the Golden Highway then depends the way you take to Scone we go to Merriwa this is a good road all the way .We have only taken our van from Orange to Rylstone The road from Bylong in some parts similar to the Sofala road from Bathurst. Take it easy it is a good drive

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 492978

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 16:08

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 16:08
Bathurst to Hill End - http://goo.gl/maps/DKfwd - that is the shortest way there now the Bridle Track is closed. It's now sealed all the way so you can take your van there (probably put their development money there rather than repairing the Track.)

Look at http://goo.gl/maps/NZPxb - There are a couple of alternatives suggested at the top of the Driving Directions. Hover your cursor over then to show the alternate road, clicking on one of them changes the Driving Directions to suit that route.

If you stop in the caravan park at Quirindi (quaint little park with an excellent amenities block,) you can travel on to Tamworth through Werris Creek and have some time in the museum there.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 492981

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 16:11

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 16:11
Forgot to mention that the roads are sealed all the way, you can use Google Maps Street View to look up and down the roads.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 768595

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 23:17

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 23:17
Erad

You could also try via Mudgee, Gulgong, Dunedoo, Coolah, Premer and Werris Creek. First time you need to keep track of your position as there are a few close right and left turn intrsections that can put you off course.

Enjoyable drive, easy and plenty to see early morning and late afternoons especially. We travel that way all the time as it keeps us off the main roads for most of the trip.

When we returned to Bathurst from Tamworth we came via Nundle and a few gravel roads.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493011

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:44

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:44
Thnx for your replies. Two years ago, i wanted to go along the Bridle track and found it was closed. I still want to have a look, so will go as far as I can and then come back. Regarding Gulgong, Premer etc, that is the way we go and thoroughly enjoy it. We were looking for some way different again.

We live in Cooma and normally go up or down the Putty road rather than bounce our way through Pennant Hills etc. The Putty Road is really nice and apart from a few winding bits is an easy drive. Worth the effort if you haven't been on it for years. Also, the mines up near Singleton - they are massive and an omen for what is to come everywhere up the top end of the Hunter Valley and the Liverpool plains. Enjoy the country whilst you can.
AnswerID: 493030

Follow Up By: yumpet - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:38

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:38
Hey there we done Orange to Tamworth a few months ago, we actually enjoyed the trip, we went Orange to Wellington, over to Gulgong, Ulan, Merriwa, Bunnan, Scone and up through to Tamworth, there are some weird rock formations just outside Scone that was worth a stop and Gulgong at 630am was like something out of the wildwest!
FollowupID: 768694

Sponsored Links