Roxby Downs - great mechanical help

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 06:17
ThreadID: 97490 Views:2637 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My fiancé and I recently had a month off travelling in Central Australia. We had a problem with the rubber bushes on our shock absorbers and also our UHF was not working to full capacity. We tried to get help in Adamooka, Olympic Dam and finally drove around Roxby Downs and came across two of the most helpful and FANTASTIC guys who were onto it asap.
We not only had our problems fixed but had a great time chatting with these two guys. Put them on your list if you are travelling they were great.

Outback Radio supplies - Malcolm (Mally) Wickham 0407 816 102
mal.wickham@hotmail.com - OMG he couldn't have been more helpful and a fun guy as well

Roxby Engineering & Fabrication - Scott McKay 0438 516 042 - was onto it straight away and what a GREAT job and GREAT guy.

Thanks Roxby for your help, keep up the good work and one day we might run into you again.

Sandra & Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:52

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:52
Sandra & Peter,

It's always good to read some positive feedback on problems being fixed by folk in remote areas.

It just makes your trip more complete and memorable doesn't it?

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493104

Reply By: lancie49 - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 19:26

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 19:26
We often seem to get a great response when help is needed in the scrub.
I recently needed a mudguard welded onto my Teardrop in Orroroo.
Asked Ryan at the local engineering shop.......
"Ohh, I dunno..........$10 ............?

He did it, and I gave him $25.

Just one of several instances over that 3 week trip.
Great ppl out bush who seem to take a little more time to make the world a nice place.
AnswerID: 493132

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 20:34

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 20:34
Had my tow hitch drilled at an engineering place in Victor Harbour a few years ago. The guy asked for the same amount, $10. When I asked "are you sure" he started apologising and said how long it took him. Had to say " are you sure that's enough mate" and gave him $20. As you say, great people. Bob.
FollowupID: 768721

Reply By: P and JM - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 19:57

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 19:57
Hi Sandra & Peter,

Well it's a real small world, I know Malky (now Mally ?) Wickham as he grew up where I did, although I am older. He is a real good bloke and will go out of his way to help you if he can.

As for young Scott McKay (Scotty Mckaky as I call him), he is my wife's cousin's son. He is also a great guy (and a cheeky one at that) and would also go out of his way to help you if he can.

I will get his Dad to let him know that you were more than happy with both Scotty and Malky.

Cheers P&J
AnswerID: 493137

Sponsored Links