Volunteer Garbos

Link to ABC radio story about the volunteer garbos cleaning up the Birdsville and Strezlecki tracks. It will also be on Landline tomorrow

Gotta love our volunteers :)

Volunteer Garbos ABC Radio/Landline Story
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 09:42

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 09:42
It's good to see some folk take pride in the bush.

I cannot for the life of me grasp the lack of intelligence and forethought of anyone disposing of their rubbish by throwing it out of the window, or leaving it at a camp site for someone else to deal with. They really are at the idiot end of the human scale.
Furthermore, this type of "bottom orifice" is likely to breed and further pollute both the bush and the gene pool.
Quite often, while walking through "tourist areas" you see drink utensils and chip and lolly wrappers discarded along the path ways.

We have no problem whatsoever in taking our rubbish with us when we leave a site and usually have a couple of empty bags and cans, etc. sitting in the foot well of our vehicle on the passenger side during trips, until we can dispose of the litter appropriately.
We also use a canvas carry bag that is strapped to the spare wheel on the back of the camper to contain garbage from extended camping stays in the bush.

As you may note, this is a topic that really gets my gander up!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493165

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:21

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:21
I totaly agree with you Bill.

I was talking to my auntie who lives at Dungowan just east of Tamworth and she said that someone had been camped in a caravan or motorhome, cannot recall which she said, down on the local common or sports field.

No problem there but they had been there a week and when they left they left their rubbish behind. She could not believe that someone could be that inconsiderate or filfthy. I have seen this location and it is a nice little spot, not much in the way of facilities but a free camp none the less. Why would anybody want to spoil it for the rest. It is that couldn't give a crop attitude which is prevalent among some sections.
Next the council will close it down I suppose. Can't blame them under those sorts of circumstances.

Another incident took place at Glen Riddle Reserve near Barraba back in may when a couple of youngish blokes (certainly old enough to know better), probably late twenties, had a camp at the far end and when they left the had chucked everything, bottles as well, into the fire and just took off.

When the council guys came around the next day I told them that they were locals, as they had taken off after setting up camp and came back about 40 mins later with a boat.
And that none of the travelers we had seen there had left their camp unclean.

I had taken a photo of the yobos down in their camp and it turns out that I have their rego number in one of my photographs.

I only discovered their mess when I went to observe a Wedge Tail Eagle which had been feasting on something at their abandoned camp site or rubbish tip.

Some people are really low lives in my opinion. Oxygen thieves I think is the correct name for them.

We should get up a name and shame thing. If you see someone doing the wrong thing then get a photo. It might come in handy.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 768748

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 13:56

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 13:56
There is no excuse for littering. Even when I'm out hiking with a full pack I still find somewhere to store my rubbish and other people's rubbish I pick up along the way.

I had an unfortunate experience with a fisherman in Port Macquarie a little while back. When I walk along the waterfront, beaches, jetties, breakwalls, etc, I pick up a lot of rubbish, mostly bait bags, tangled line, sinkers, hooks and abandoned clothing and rags stained with fish guts. One day, with my hands full of baits bags and line, I asked a fisherman to make sure he takes his garbage with him so it doesn't get washed or blown into the water. He laughed at me and then snarled that he doesn't need to worry about his rubbish when there are people like me to pick it up for him.

Cigarette butts are disgusting. They are everywhere. I don't know where people think they're going to go once they drop them on the ground or throw them out their windows. I often call out to people who I see drop their butt and tell them in a helpful manner that i think they dropped something and ask if that cigarette butt is their's. It usually embarrasses them, especially if there are people around who stop and watch, but they don't pick it up unless I tell them to. They really don't care that littering is a crime and damages the environment.

I do a lot of walking along the edge of the road and am about to do some more and I wish I could pick up the rubbish I find but I could fill several bin bags an hour on most stretches of road, and there is always heaps of rubbish around rest stops and sidings, even the ones with a bin. Sometimes I wonder if there was some way to fill the bags and leave them somewhere safe for someone else to pick up and take to the closest council dump but it would take me hours to walk just a few kms. I don't mind finding coins though :)

Why don't they have more crims doing community service and parole and low security gaol inmates out rubbish collecting? Bring in something like Singapore's litter laws and discipline - if you're caught littering you do a certain number of hours picking up litter. It makes sense to me.
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 768760

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 18:01

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 18:01
Watched it on Landline today and really commend their efforts,

Even showed a dog (alive) they picked up along the way.

HOWEVER................. just wait for some pointy head to condemn them for safety violations such as not wearing seatbelts and having a couple of teenagers hang off the back of the trailer and jump off to pick up rubbish,

Also when they changed the tyre on their kitchen trailer the jacking method was a bit shonky.

But all in all hats off to them.
AnswerID: 493197

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 00:08

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 00:08
What a great story
Wouldn't mind having a go at that one
Cheers Bucky
AnswerID: 493232

Sponsored Links