Review: Sir Hubert Wilkins Homestead - SA

My Place Rating: My Rating 3/5

Be prepared. We stopped in Burra to get a map and info on the key. We were given a brochure and told we could pick the key up at the Mout Bryan pub or Hallet Hotel. We were also told the meals were quite good at the pub so decided we would lunch there. We arrived at the pub at 12:30 on a Friday and it was locked up tight. No meal. No key. A local was picking up his mail from one of the mailboxes and told us he had seen the owners going into town (Mount Bryan population 70 not a town). He also said the food was good. When we explained about looking for the key, he said the Hallet Hotel closed a few months back, so we didn't go looking. It was a bit of a drive but we found the homestead easy enough from the map obtained in Burra. Since we could not go in the homestead we peeked in the windows and the photos of what is inside are posted. You really get a sense of how remote the place is and the cold windy weather added to the bleakness of the place. I can understand how Sir Hubert would have developed an interest in the weather. If you stop at the school house (also on the map) you will note that Sir Hubert had a bit of a hike to go to school. It is also on the Goyder Line, with the homestead being on the wrong side. You will notice many other ruins along the drive to the homestead, also lots of sheep which seem to do well in the area. When we headed back the pub was open but since it was after 2pm they weren't serving meals. By the time we got back to Burra the pubs had all stopped serving meals, but we found a small cafe "Cook A Burra" where we had a good lunch. Having read Sir Hubert's biography, and seen some film about him, we found it interesting and worth the trip. Complements to Australian Geographic Society and Dick Smith for spearheading the restoration. It's a shame the SA govenrment has done nothing to commemorate such an amazing South Aussie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 22:32

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 22:32
Dorothy
Went there a couple of years back and could not believe what had done and achieved in his lifetime. Pity he was not recognised here in Aust and went to America to live. Hence not many people know of his achievements.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493681

Sponsored Links