Our latest trip and our first for the Simpson Desert

Four days west to east solo traverse of the Simpson Desert without any problems. The whole trip started with us driving up the west side of the Flinders and visiting Oodnadatta, Chambers Pillar, Lambert Centre and of course Mt Dare. The off through Dalhousie and into the Simpson via Purni Bore. Then down to the Rig Road and followed the WAA Line to drop down to visit Lone Gum and his mates. He has a couple of offspring looking good and keeping him company. Then up Knolls Track to the French Line. Through Poepells Corner and across the QAA line to pop over Big Red to Birdsville. Not a slow run as we could only spend four days in the actual desert itself.

After Birdsville down to Marree to watch the Bledisloe game with mates from Canberra we met at Mungeranie. Then a couple of days with our son and his two children exploring the tracks of Arkaroola.Home via Menindee and Ivanhoe just in front of the rain and heavy winds.

Great nights and excellent sunrises and sets. The desert flowers were out in force. Our first trip and going back next year with one son and his family in tow. We hope so anyway.

Photos at:
Up west if Flinders, Chambers and Lambert Centre then west to east across the Simpson and down through Arkaroola to home.

And Simpson flowers:
Flowers of the Simpson Desert Aug 2012

Camping at Knolls Track:

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 22:31

Saturday, Aug 25, 2012 at 22:31
Hi PJR

Sounds like you had a great trip and you have now caught the "Simpson Bug"

It can be very addictive.

Great Photos as well.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493610

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 09:29

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 09:29
Great Tripping around like that PJ - how did your setup go - will you be making ant changes ? - we constantly like to try new things here and sometimes they don't always work.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493629

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:56

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:56
Was the Coles trolley still at Lamberts Centre? Did Phil show you his nuclear mosquito? What was the WAA line like, I have heard that it is pretty overgrown?

Sorry for all the questions but once you go out there, like Steven says, it stays in your blood

Cheers

Colin
AnswerID: 493643

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:17

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:17
Yes the trolley was still there. We tried but no luck. Need someone younger and better at climbing to get it down.

What this about a "nuclear mosquito"? Do you mean Phil at the Marree Hotel?

The WAA line wasn't really "pretty overgrown". Just heaps of close bushes that effectively clean the dust off the side. And take a bit of paint at the same time.

The track itself is a long series of ups and downs between the dunes. The track is not level at all. You crawl along and feel like you are on a boat constantly rocking over another boats wake. Up and down all the way. I am having trouble explaining it and that's the closest that I can get. Slow and "up and down". A real workout for the shock absorbers with large car body movement.
FollowupID: 769238

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 13:22

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 13:22
Me again :)
"Need someone younger and better at climbing to get it down"

OK this is intriguing, does this mean it was up a tree? It was on the ground when we were there

Phil is the owner of the Mungreannie Hotel - a really nice guy and his wife is lovely too. He was showing us the beak of a mosquito that was a result of the water from the Roxby area ;-)

Have yet to do that section - have done Rig & French lines but was warned against WAA

Thanks again

Colin
FollowupID: 769244

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 13:35

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 13:35
The trolley is stuck on the top where a flag would go. We cleaned the place up a bit. It was wrapped in heaps of cheap woollen yarn and has been written on. And in a very neat educated script as well.

I do not understand their issue. The place is not a monument, place of worship or aven a political statement attached to it. Yet they just wanted to ruin it.

No. Phil did not show us the ossie. We were there with a largeish contingent from the home town. POurely on chance we met there. It's a small country. So we left without delay as we wanted to get to Merree for me to watch the footy.

One of the reasons we drove along the WAA line was because it was supposed to be the hardest. It was like a flag to a red bull. It was actually easy with the road slow and up&down as described.
FollowupID: 769245

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:03

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:03
"One of the reasons we drove along the WAA line was because it was supposed to be the hardest. It was like a flag to a red bull. It was actually easy with the road slow and up&down as described."

When we did the Canning earlier this year we done it 10 days not because we wanted to be the quickest or anything like that but were waiting for it to get harder and in so doing had an extra 4 days up our sleeves so we went through the Red Centre and seeing Lamberts.

It is a real shame when people want to make some sort of statement, just look at Chambers Pillar where people have marked the Pillar recently so there is now more of a barrier, before long we will be unable to get close to it at all as it is being damaged by a few.

It is a beautiful bit of country though

Cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 769246

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:33

Sunday, Aug 26, 2012 at 14:33
Colin

Pretty much the same here with the Simpson. We were only there for four days and three nights. Sure it was all 20KPH or less. But nothing hard or difficult. Yet when we joined this forum and the local 4WD club we were told not to go as a solo vehicle. It was just a slow drive through a whole bunch of sand hills. The only thing I will say is that the car did not have any troubles at all. Everything was checked twice or even three times before we went so it was properly prepared and maybe that gave us a trouble free drive.

Don't get me wrong. We are not getting complacent or casual about remote travel.

The car is kitted out fully as a self reliant vehicle with all manner of bits and pieces and recovery, fire and first aid stuff on board.

The car will always be properly prepared. And maybe that is a plus in both yours and our favour. Not bragging, just stating the truth. It costs a quid for us to keep the car in that condition as I have medical issues that make it very hard, but not impossible, to do my own mechanical work. So we have to pay others. But it is well spent money, believe me.

Sue did have to use a band aid though!!!!!
FollowupID: 769248

Sponsored Links