Which Caravan Park in Darwin ???

Hi all.
We are a family of a 3yo & 6yo, and will be vanning it up to Darwin in a week. I am finding it very hard to decide on which caravan park to stay in as reviews can differ quite a bit. Can anyone please recommend the best family friendly park to stay in, anywhere within a 30mins drive of Darwin. Price is not a bother, we just want a spacious, friendly & relaxing family holiday :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 00:04

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 00:04
pick them in order of what you think best then see if they actually have room, most "may" be full at this time of the year so you may not get what you want ......
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 493685

Reply By: Member - Blackie - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 05:43

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 05:43
Try Lee Point Resort caravan park, We are here at the moment plenty of room.
Because it is getting hotter the park is thinning out.

Cheers Blackie
AnswerID: 493688

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:01

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:01
Agree with Blackie,we stayed at Lee Point for a week and enjoyed our stay, including swims in the pool at night. Easy drive into the city from there.
Kevin
FollowupID: 769297

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:31

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:31
Would you mind adding your review to our Places listing for this park too please?
Lee Point Village Resort

Thanks
MM
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 769304

Follow Up By: 4HappyCampers - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 13:11

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 13:11
Thanks Blackie.
Would you know, because of Lee Points location, whether there are more sand flies & midgies there than more inland locations?? Also is there a playground there?
Thanks heaps, Fiona
FollowupID: 769311

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:17

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:17
Badgers Caravan Park Reports
Check out this site.

Jack

The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493693

Follow Up By: 4HappyCampers - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 13:12

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 13:12
Thanks Jack.
I checked out Badgers, which left me a tad confused, which is why I am posting here :-/
Am hoping for a very up to date review (from this year)
Cheers,
Fiona
FollowupID: 769312

Reply By: Kiwibound eventually - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:31

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:31
We are currently staying at Free Spirit Resort on Stuart Highway. We can fully recommend this park. There are plenty of sites available, lots of amenities which are kept very clean, three pools, jumping pillow etc for the children. The sites are grassed and there is plenty of water. We have also stayed at the Big 4 in Howard Springs a few weeks ago before visiting Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks but think Free Spirit wins out hands down. By the name we have not been bothered by any road noise at all.
AnswerID: 493696

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 09:20

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 09:20
second the free spirit....top spot with many facilities and lovely surroundings......could stay there forever
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 769298

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:32

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:32
Would you please mind adding your review to our listing in Places for the Free Spirit Resort?
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 769305

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:33

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:33
sorry was too quick - here's the link Free Spirit Resort Darwin

Thanks
MM
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 769306

Follow Up By: 4HappyCampers - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 13:28

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 13:28
Thanks heaps Kiwibound...
After looking at review after review it has come down to a toss up between Freespirit, Howard springs & Lee Point...
We are lucky I guess that when we get there, allot of tourists will have left, so booking in advance doesn't seem to be an issue.
Do you think Freespirit will allow us to choose our own site???
Also, is there any early morning aircraft noise??
AND one more ;-), where in the park itself would you suggest was a good spot. We are planning on staying 1.5-2weeks so we want to be happy & comfortable !!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Fiona
FollowupID: 769313

Follow Up By: Kiwibound eventually - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:20

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:20
Hi Fiona

I am uncertain if management allow choice of sites, however if you ask they may give you a list of the sites available before accepting. We are in "First Street" which is very close to amenities and to two swimming pools at the front of the park. The third pool is at the rear of the park. There are a number of blocks of amenities so all the sites would be close to a set. We have been here over a week and have not been woken any morning by aircraft. However when the Air Force conduct fly overs I am sure all of Darwin hear them. I hope this is helpful. Gill
FollowupID: 769330

Follow Up By: 4HappyCampers - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:13

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:13
Hi Gill.
Thankyou so much for taking the time out to reply to my questions :-) ... Freespirit looks to be the way to go, great kids facilities etc ... We will certainly ask to walk around the park first to hopefully request our preferred home site for our stay. Too many times we have rocked up blindly and not checked out our surroundings first and been disappointed. This is to be a holiday to remember for the good times :-)
We're leaving Melbourne next Tues and will slowly make our way up there, through SA and up past Cooper Pedy, Alice etc etc. Should be a fun trip with lots of tricks up our sleeves to keep the kids amused ;-)

How long are you guys staying in Darwin? Where's your next port of call?
Thanks again, Cheers Fiona
FollowupID: 769361

Follow Up By: Kiwibound eventually - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:40

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:40
Hi Fiona

I think that Free Spirit is a great choice for you as a family. There are quite a few children in camp at the moment. We flew down to Melbourne for a couple of weeks and arrived back in Darwin on the 21st August. We were so pleased to be back in the warmth after the cold of Melbourne! We are leving Free Spirit tomorrow and heading down to Tumbling Waters for a few days (make sure you go to Berry Springs Recreational Park when staying in Darwin) and will then commence the trip south to Three Ways and then go east to Townsville and down the coast to Melbourne. Might pass you on the way down the Stuart Highway. Safe travelling and have a wonder memorable trip. Gill
FollowupID: 769365

Follow Up By: Member - Blackie - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:41

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:41
Hi Fiona out of the 3 you have listed, for the kids I would pick Freespirit.

Cheers Blackie
ps the midgies aren't to bad no worse here than anywhere else
FollowupID: 769366

Reply By: WBS - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:33

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:33
Also consider Shady Glen Tourist Park if you are running out of options.
11 Farrell Crescent Winnellie, Darwin,
1800 662 253

We stayed there in July 2010. It was the park of last resort for us as we couldn't get in anywhere else. There were a couple of caravan parks that don't take bookings. You just line up in the morning a hope to get a spot. I don't like that concept so Shady Glen it was.

By now (Late August) Operation Pitch Black, an Air Force exercise should be finished and the Darwin Show should be done and dusted so noise shouldn't be a problem. Apart from these factors and a quirky time for cleaning amenities, the park was clean and tidy, the amenities were acceptable, the sites were smallish, it had a nice shaded pool and it is close to most things. Our site was not shady but many other were. Given we were a late booking they probably didn't have many sites to offer. The sand flies were especially friendly with my wife but disliked me. I would be happy stay there again knowing what the park was like last time. It was clean, had adequate amenities, and was not run down which are the criteria I judge parks by.

WBS
AnswerID: 493697

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:29

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:29
Would you please add your review to our Places listing for this park too - Shady Glen

Thanks!
MM
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 769303

Reply By: Top End Az - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:41

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 16:41
HI 4HappyCampers

I am a Darwin resident. The RAAF are still doing military exercises. Trust me, that spots close to the airport such as Shady Glen will drive you insane as it is directly under the flight path. Yes, you can hear the planes all over Darwin, but it is a lot worse near the airport.

Lee Point caravan park is near the beach, close to major shopping centre and far away enough from the airport to escape the worst of it and still 15 min from town. I can't vouch for the Howard Springs park.

The tourist are starting to thin out as it has been getting on the warm side in the last week or so. Choice will be on your side compared to say a few weeks ago.

In any case, hope you have a nice stay, and welcome to Darwin.
AnswerID: 493720

Follow Up By: 4HappyCampers - Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:38

Monday, Aug 27, 2012 at 21:38
Thankyou Top End Az for your reply.
We are really looking forward to our trip away, having never ventured into the NT !!!
We are hoping to stay in Darwin for 2 weeks, so we want to be happy with our accomodation, happy kids, happy wife = "happy life" hahaha !!
We are steering towards Freespirit, seeing our trip up from Melb will consist of allot of free camping by the roadside, so a family/kid friendly resort stlyle park for relaxation & comfort is what we're seeking :-) - It seems we picked a good time to head up, no queuing up for showers and the laundry facils !!
Thanks again,
Cheers Fiona
FollowupID: 769364

Sponsored Links