Nexen Roadian A/T

Sorry... Another tyre question. My second hand 2000 GXL prado came with Roadian A/T tyres. Done about 25000 km. Are these tyres any good?

Driving to Sydney to Alice in October via strezlecki and oodandatta tracks. Then plan to go right around Australia next year.

Know everyone has an opinion on tyres but thinking about new tyres if the ones I have wont stand up. Want a reliable off road tyre that gives good highway performance and a smooth ride.

Thoughts....?

James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 08:28

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 08:28
G'day James, If I told you to throw those tyres away & replace with exy Coopers I
hope you would ignore me..as that wouldnt be good advice. What I would say is..
the tyres are on the car..with plenty of tread & attention to pressure there is no
reason to change them..take them to Alice & make your judgement on their suitability
after that. Your driving style, speed, weight & pressure have far more influence on
tyre performance than brand. Enjoy the trip......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 494391

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 09:15

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 09:15
From my experience and observation NEXEN tyres are the tyres that used car dealers put on vehicles when the tyres they bought the car with are not roadworthy.
I bought an BMW M3 which had them fitted and I replaced them early as they were DIABOLICAL in the wet, so much so that my wife was hanging the tail on roundabouts.
I have not had experience with ATs but I believe the same principles apply. There was really nothing very wrong with the tyres, they were just made cheaply and of poor quality IMHO.

If you are prepared to be very careful to ascertain their handling characteristics, they should be OK with the usual caveats that a passenger construction tyre is much more prone to rock/stick penetration than an LT tyre.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 494395

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 12:18

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 12:18
Gday James
I have them on my Nissan and would not hesitate to use them again. They have done everything that i needed them to do . Quite a few trips into the Vic high country , up hill and down dale , never a problem.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 494410

Reply By: andrewg - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:44

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 19:44
No problem i fitted them to my 2003 patrol... when i was short on cash..Towed a 3 ton boat to sydney without a problem...Not on car now but they seved there purpose at the time when cash was short..but i have kept them in garage for when i run low on cash again lol...still got plenty of tread .
AnswerID: 494439

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 21:35

Friday, Sep 07, 2012 at 21:35
In my experience with three vehicles they are a great tyre and fantastic value for money. Korean Tyres in general are the way to go at the moment IMHO.
AnswerID: 494454

Sponsored Links